Buying Used 1.2 Petrol or 1.6 Diesel Xtronic?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Donamos
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Donamos »

does NISSAN Qashqai +2 2.0 dCi 4WD tekna Automatic year 2008-2009 has the issue with "CVT" ???

daddydoug
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by daddydoug »

Hi

I have a 1.6 diesel CVT and find the gearbox fine. It does give a smoother ride than an auto box as you just don't notice any gear change. Most of my journeys are relatively short, with the occasional Motorway trip, and the DPF filter (to date) hasn't clogged up. On a long journey it will average around the 50 mpg mark, but on short journeys it only averages around the 30-35 mpg.

My Qashqai is just over 2 years old, and as of last week I would have said no problems. Unfortunately last week I got a stop/start system failure message along with the speed limiter and cruise control failing to operate. It went into my local Nissan dealer last Thursday who diagnosed a faulty battery which was replaced under warranty, as Nissan have accepted that a "duff" supply of batteries were fitted to some Nissans. Sadly due to the incompetence of my Nissan dealer, when I picked the car up, the speed limiter and cruise control were still not working, so it is going back in this Wednesday to be looked at.

In my opinion the car is nice to look at, lovely when it works, but the thing that has turned me against ever owning another Nissan is my local dealer, whom I have experienced nothing but cock ups since ordering the car. I dread going into the garage, and if I had owned my car a bit longer, would be chucking it in for a nice new Peugeot 3008!

Good luck

Doug
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
Geordieman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Geordieman »

I bought the 1.2 CVT in Dec and certainly hope they have sorted the problems they had a few years ago. They have too much at stake to not do anything about problems they encounter with their cars. Very pleased with the car so far but just owned it for 2 months.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

I've had no problems at all with the CVT on my 2015 1.6dCi. Whatever the early problems were, they don't seem to have manifested on my car. It's as good an automatic gearbox as I could ask for.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

People can be warned but they won’t necessarily listen. This Jatco CVT has been a disaster from the beginning. While there are plenty that have given no bother [yet], the failure rate has been exceptionally high. Same with the 1.2 petrol engine.......... of the age the OP is considering. Also Diesel engines of any and all brands are no longer suitable for lots of stops and starts where the engine doesn’t properly heat up under load for a good while. That’s just the way it is I’m afraid.

If I were you, i’d look at a Honda CRV, or a petrol Golf or something. I’ve no loyalty to any brand and am not blinkered or blinded by passion for the cars I own. Perhaps there is a larger engine available in Qashqai with a conventional automatic? Nissan do seem to have gone overboard with specifying the Jatco CVT wherever they can, but probably only because they now own Jatco.
Honda make a far more reliable cvt., yet for Europe they don’t fit it to the CRV, instead choosing to fit the ZF 9 speed torque converter box. Very wisely in my opinion.

From here. https://youtu.be/QD2BYStP2bk

Paulie Proton
1 hour ago
I agree. Nissan CVT are craps nowadays.

AutoExpertTV
AutoExpertTV
44 minutes ago
Made by Jatco - should be Crapco.
RickT
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by RickT »

our new 1.2 petrol with now 600 miles on it is failing to get more than 25mpg town driving... overall mpg is 26mpg.

Hoping once the weather warms up and engine runs in the mpg will increase !!
2018 Nissan Qashqai - 1.2 n Connecta + Pano Roof
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Every time Nissan has a problem with engines or CVT boxes iam sure they will look into why it failed and look to improve the engine or box they are not going to keep on making the same ....if one part or more to blame then make it better...they make around 600 cars a day at Sunderland....lots of engine problems are people not checking oil levels....mind I think nowadays that oil looks after its self....like a petrol gauge.....
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
Geordieman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Geordieman »

Our 1.2 CVT has about 1200 miles on it and I get 34 mpg around town. I don't use the stop and go which I hate.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
Pedro500
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Pedro500 »

Hello Folks,
Returning the thread after coming to a conclusion that 1.2 Xtronic is the one I would go for.

Just wondered about reliability of CVT and 1.2 petrol model in general, as they received poor publicity for it. I'm looking QQ that are over 3 years old, so hopefully all the gremlins would have been ironed by Nissan during the first 3 years.

Also can you disable stop/start function permanently as I don't want to damage/weaken the battery, I'm aware you can disable it when you first start the car, so that means you have press that button every time you start your journey.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Apparently there are lots of problems with Honda CRVs with Diesel getting into the oil. So even the great Honda is not bullet proof

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/CR-V/2017/

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-china ... KKBN1FW124
Quacker wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:06 am If I were you, i’d look at a Honda CRV, or a petrol Golf or something.