Dunlop Sport Maxx on snow

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

I believe my (two-wheel-drive) Qashqai to be the worst car I've ever driven on snow. I think the combination of the wide wheels and the tread pattern (like this https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/ ... 3uEALw_wcB ) with its circumferential bands means there NO traction and also NO braking performance. I tested the brakes having driven out of my drive onto the main A road I live on - instant anti-lock. I drove a mile in second gear and then had "wheelspin" (traction control on) getting onto the roundabout, and even wheelspin (trying traction control off) going into the office car park in Gloucester! Other cars around were certainly going faster apparently without incident. Maybe it'll confirm the possibility of replacing the car when it gets to three years old in June...
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Hi Gloucester, are you refering to driving in Snow with Summer Tyres, Wide Wheels presumably the Tekna Alloys then you most likely to will experience problems. Out here we have to have a set of winter wheels / tyres, normally smaller diameter wheels, narrower tyres, yes it does cost extra but it is a hell of a lot safer for the QQ and naturally the family - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Yes - here it's not economically viable to have winter wheels and tyres.

My previous cars, both Fabias, were much better on snow - must be the tyres.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Mad Maru

Post by Mad Maru »

I’m in the UK and right now I’m glad I opted for winter tyre set with alloys back in November as this has improved my experience in the QQ and I’ve so far had no issues on these icy roads in my 2wd 2016 QQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
src

Post by src »

Seen your post Mad Maru and your nice set of winter tyres/wheels/tpms setup you got. I am considering the same setup as this past week has been a nightmare with the snow, these Dunlop Maxx summer tyres are useless in the snow, it's embarrassing and more importantly dangerous.

I did consider buying a set of Maxxis AP2 All Season tyres as they are available in 225/45/R19 size (£126 each) just to replace my Dunlops but Maxxis AP2's looking at the reviews are poor in wet and living in Scotland it's wet on the road a lot of the time so I decided against these.

Then if I just buy a set of All Season or Winter tyres alone it's cheaper just buying a complete set wheels/winter tyres/tpms from Germany/Ebay.

Did you have to inform your insurance company the change from 19" wheel/summer tyre factory setup to 16" wheel/winter tyres setup ?

Scott
Scott
2017 ( J11B ) | Nissan Qashqai | 1.2 DIG-T | Tekna | 2WD | Xtronic | Panoramic Glass Roof | Blade Silver
Mad Maru

Post by Mad Maru »

src wrote:Seen your post Mad Maru and your nice set of winter tyres/wheels/tpms setup you got. I am considering the same setup as this past week has been a nightmare with the snow, these Dunlop Maxx summer tyres are useless in the snow, it's embarrassing and more importantly dangerous.

I did consider buying a set of Maxxis AP2 All Season tyres as they are available in 225/45/R19 size (£126 each) just to replace my Dunlops but Maxxis AP2's looking at the reviews are poor in wet and living in Scotland it's wet on the road a lot of the time so I decided against these.

Then if I just buy a set of All Season or Winter tyres alone it's cheaper just buying a complete set wheels/winter tyres/tpms from Germany/Ebay.

Did you have to inform your insurance company the change from 19" wheel/summer tyre factory setup to 16" wheel/winter tyres setup ?

Scott
Hi Scott,

Just seen your reply I have the additional tyre insurance and I asked them & was told whichever wheels I have on the car are covered. What option did you go with in the end? I changed back to my 19” Alloy’s last week as the weather has improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk