Xtronic Petrol & Diesel

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
geepee

Post by geepee »

Currently have a 2017 1.2 Tekna Xtronic and the engine braking has not worked from new
Dealer says there are no fault codes so there's no fault
Previously had a 2015 1.6dci Tekna Xtronic where the engine braking did work
Long story short - I have taken this up with Nissan Support, (who are providing no support at all), and tell me the diesel Xtronics do NOT have engine braking, only the petrol versions have it
Well, either I had a unique car or they do have engine braking
Just wondering if any with a diesel xtronic can confirm their car does have engine braking ?

Thanks
Geof

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Engine braking on previous Qashqai's/Nissan CVTs was a system setting you could turn on and off "somewhere". i.e. may have been a hidden menu rather than the user menu. Seem to recall it had levels i.e. 0 off, 1 low, 2 high.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
geepee

Post by geepee »

Thanks, Chris - I know it is a setting in the menu, on the same page as Trace Control on/off
I'm hoping someone with a diesel Xtronic will confirm they have engine braking so I can prove to Nissan support that they are wrong when they say it is only on the petrol xtronics
I'm not a complete numpty, I know my 2015 diesel xtronic had engine braking because it changed to a lower ratio going down steep hills !!
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I think that setting is active braking, something different, a lot of non-CVTs have it.
The engine braking setting is something deep in the ECU that you probably need a dealer or someone with a Consult-III unit to tweak.

Hopefully someone who knows more will butt in..
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
tophat57
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by tophat57 »

Which '17 model is it, J11 or j11b (facelift)? Can say that on the newer facelift it is fitted and is definitely noticeable. It can be found in the driver aids settings, under chassis control.

Just a thought, but is this an issue of the smaller engine? As the 1.2 is a smaller capacity unit, and the engine braking is an artificial response, is it possible that it simply does not feel as noticeable as it does with the 1.6.
Facelift J11b N-connecta 1.6 x-tonic in vivid blue. And a dual accelerator for my dodgy foot..........
geepee

Post by geepee »

Tophat57 - Mine is the J11 (updated 2014 model)

When you say it is very noticeable, is that on a diesel or petrol ?
That's what I really want to know

It isn't a case of 'not being so noticeable' on a smaller engine as it works by forcing the xtronic to a lower ratio increasing the revs by 2-300 rpm whilst the speed stays the same, or reduces - which is how it is described in Nissan info and exactly what happened when I had a diesel xtronic - except Nissan support insist the diesel xtronics do not have engine braking .......
That's why I'm keen to see if anyone can confirm their diesel xtronic does have engine braking

Just to be specific, it is turned on in the menu
tophat57
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by tophat57 »

Geepee, yes mine's a diesel 1.6 xtronic (a j11b though), and yes it seems to be fitted and working fine. It definitely works when it's turned on, and you can tell when it's turned off. What I have noticed is that if you ease your foot off the accelerator it tends to coast rather than brake. So if you're doing 30 and ease off to slow for a queue at the lights it isn't so noticeable. But if you're doing 70 into a roundabout and lift your foot straight off it is definitely working.

My point about the smaller engine was that it will have a much smaller mechanical effect due to the lower power it can generate. But yes as it is an artificial increase in revs I suppose it shouldn't make that much difference.

I'm not sure what Nissan support are saying about it not being fitted. Unless mine is an oddball! Will have a chat with my dealer about it though.
Facelift J11b N-connecta 1.6 x-tonic in vivid blue. And a dual accelerator for my dodgy foot..........
geepee

Post by geepee »

Thank you tophat57
I was sure you were referring to a diesel xtronic from your strapline but I wanted to 100% sure

We should all be appalled by Nissan Tech Support insisting that diesel xtronics do not have engine braking because, quote, "they do not need it" and their insistence that it was NOT on my last diesel xtronic.

I will be having more discussion with them and do my best to stop them misleading other owners. Ironically, this is a side issue and not my actual complaint

My issue is engine braking not working on my petrol xtronic - my dealer cannot replicate it on my car, (or another petrol xtronic), ergo, there is no fault - sadly, they have not considered that their 'test' route did not have any significant hills and, so far, seem unwilling to try a route (only 12 miles away) where engine braking ALWAYS worked on my previous car !!!

Nissan Tech Support's only contribution is for me to take my car to another dealer ..........
Also, worryingly for ALL Nissan owners, Tech Support say they would NOT provide Tech Support to the dealer if they confirm engine braking is not working and cannot find the fault
Apparently, and I quote, "Nissan does not provide tech assistance to dealers, it is up to the dealer to find and fix the problem"

With this attitude, this will be my fourth and LAST Qashqai Tekna - pity as I was talking to the dealer last week about a possible early trade in against another one

Thanks for everyone's help on this, I will continue arguing the case for more support and a less confrontational attitude and let you know
geepee

Post by geepee »

Sorry, I got a bit sidetracked over Nissan Tech's lack of support

I should have asked owners of petrol xtronics to advise if their cars do have engine braking
TerryH
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by TerryH »

Geepee, I can't help with your engine braking problem, but I feel for you, especially with the way Nissan (non)Support have treated you. I found the dealer really helpful but Nissan UK, based in Bucks., I believe, most unhelpful and even obstructive. It was very poor customer service. It's a shame because I reckon the Qashqai is a fine car - until something goes wrong and you need Support. Good luck with your battle.
Qq N-Connecta. DIG-T 163 1.6 Petrol. Vivid blue. Sept. 2017. Lancs., UK