Buying used qashqai

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Lee85
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Lee85 »

Hi all
I took a 1.2 acenta premium out for a test drive at a nissan dealer and loved it. Had previously been out in a sportage, which just didn't feel as nice.

They had a 2014 1.2 acenta premium in nightshade that had just come in that day. Was told if I put a deposit down they would reserve it for me while they do all the checks and give it service mot etc. If I wasn't a 100% with the car I could have my deposit back.

Well I got a phone call today to say they have found the turbo has failed and will need a new engine. Which nissan said they would pay for as a good will gesture. The car had only done 27000 miles. Surely a turbo should last longer.
Just wondering if I should still go ahead with purchase. Bonus is there will be a brand new engine in. Problem is I don't want it to last only another 20000 miles.

Only tend to do school run and other short journeys so was trying to stay away from diesel

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
Lee

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Lee85, I have a 1.5dci, only do short runs to and from work, about 3 miles each way. Similar when shopping and running errands etc and the car is faultless. Stop start works fine, which it wouldnt if there were any potential issues with the dpf. The 1.2 petrol is more perky but the 1.5 dci will return better mpg, even on short trips.
Lee85

Post by Lee85 »

Thanks gvmdaddy

Does it sound like a diesel when in the car.

The sportage we took out was a 1.7 diesel and my wife didn't like the sound of it. Engine was cold but when my wife is saying it sounds like a tractor it's hard to persuade her to try another
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

To be totally honest no. It really is a very nice diesel unit.
fbgqashqai
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by fbgqashqai »

This won't make pleasant reading if you are thinking of buying a 1.2 Qashqai

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... s-2017.pdf
fbgqashai 2017 J11a N Connecta 1.5DCi in Silver
Lee85

Post by Lee85 »

Thanks for that. Interesting read. Couldn't believe how high the fiesta was, considering it's a small car.

Been told today the car has been approved for a new engine. My concern is if it fails again in another 20,000 miles or do we think nissan have ironed out all the problems with the new engines.

Never been in this situation before.
In two minds weather to walk away or say yes as I will have a car with a brand new engine in for 12,200 pound
fbgqashqai

Post by fbgqashqai »

I would look at the mpg threads on here for the 1.2 engine which seems to be quite low and the issues some have with the CVT box if you are going that route. The diesel conversely is quite frugal, I get 59 - 62mpg out of each tank. You can probably guess I don't push it hard but I drive about 50 miles a day on fairly flat A roads and when the temp is above 12 degrees or so, I can get 75+ mpg out of the car.
fbgqashai 2017 J11a N Connecta 1.5DCi in Silver
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I would look elsewhere, a new engine sounds nice but it's not like getting new tyres, knowing what Nissan dealers are like they are highly likely to cock something up. I've read so many times were engines or turbos fail a second time shortly afterwards due to ill-fitting.

Also, if the turbo has failed surely it just needs a new turbo not a new engine. It can't have been anything catastrophic as you took it on a nice test drive.

It's a very common car, if you want one shop around you'll find another easily enough. I was spoilt for choice when I got mine.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Dragstar

Post by Dragstar »

HI Lee, when i purchased mine i tried 1.2 Petrol, 1.5 DCi and the 1.6DCi, i found out of the three 1.5 to be my Choice, found the 1.2 petrol very low torque always required revs and gear changing and low fuel MPG and if you check the Forum a lot of Owners are stating oil usage Heavy, 1.6 DCi slightly more Torque but MPG Lower, i think the Acenta Premium is the right model choice with the extras you get iv'e had no issues with mine, getting 60 Plus MPG and its also Zero Road Fund Tax aswell and no DPF issues just take mine on a Run now and again
2014 Qashqai Accenta Premium 1.5DCI, Gunmetal Paintwork, Crossover Pack, Pan Roof,Bonnet Strut Kit, sidebars, and a Bit of Chrome :D
2011 Audi TT Quattro Roadster Volcano Red (Pearl}
2012 Vauxhall VXR GTC Arden Blue
2012 Vauxhall GTC 140 SRi
Lee85

Post by Lee85 »

Thanks for the replies

The car we took on a test drive was a different car. My wife didn't like the colour. One had just arrived that day in nightshade, which she liked the look of. We couldn't take it out as it hadn't had any safety checks. We were told when it was ready we could take it for a spin and if we weren't 100% happy we would get our deposit back. We received a phone call a few days later saying they had found the turbo had failed.
Been told we will get full 12 month nissan warranty with new engine.

Would like the 1.6 petrol but they don't seem as popular as the 1.2 and 1.5 diesel.

Think I need to persuade my wife to go and try the 1.5 diesel and see how she gets on with it. She previously didn't like the sound of diesels