Car dealer disabled my dashcam during service

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Clarky94
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Clarky94 »

Daewar wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:36 pm Clarky, What did you do about this incident? Tell the police? Send the footage to the head office of the workshop?
Clarky94 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:58 pm I took one of my cars in to tyre fitters because i felt the wheels hadn't been balanced properly , when i got back in the car after the work i noticed the dash camera had been pushed so it viewed the sky, i was suspicious so i though i would view the footage but all all i could see what sky and hear the sound, but when i ran the footage through a piece of software that picked up on the gps i could not only hear the fitter ragging it like a race car, from the data from the camera and map i could see it was doing up to 60 in a 40 area and 45 in a 30 and when he hit 60 i could hear him say "No speed wobble there son"
i contacted the manager of depot and told them what i had discovered then told a little white lie that i had seen a speed trap on the route the fitter used and my reason for contacting them was to tell them if i get speeding ticket i will be passing the footage to the police - he assured me the person concerned would be spoken to - i still have the footage
Current Car Qashqai 2017 j11b 1.5dci Tekna Grey
Coming Soon Qashqai 2021 J12 Tekna 158 in Mag Blue inc Fog Lights

paplane

Post by paplane »

Clarky94 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:58 pm I took one of my cars in to tyre fitters because i felt the wheels hadn't been balanced properly , when i got back in the car after the work i noticed the dash camera had been pushed so it viewed the sky, i was suspicious so i though i would view the footage but all all i could see what sky and hear the sound, but when i ran the footage through a piece of software that picked up on the gps i could not only hear the fitter ragging it like a race car, from the data from the camera and map i could see it was doing up to 60 in a 40 area and 45 in a 30 and when he hit 60 i could hear him say "No speed wobble there son"
I reiterate the point I made earlier, why would you walk away and leave your car in the hands of someone who you don't trust? The tyre fitting business is notorious for employing low skilled labour. I bet you could train to fit tyres in just 2 days. No way would I throw the keys to my £20k+ car to such people.

Any profession, be it a solicitor, builder, MP, chip shop owner, etc etc will do and say things behind closed doors they wouldn't want their customers to see or hear. Do I want my clients seeing that I'm sitting here contributing to an online forum rather than working on their projects? No, I don't. :lol:
lapalmeraie
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by lapalmeraie »

Interesting topic this one :)

I do have my dashcam which runs as soon as you open the car and therefor it has filmed the technicians servicing the car and their testrides.
And yes, I did watched the footage... not for publishing whatsoever but just out of curiosity to learn what do they in fact do with the car.
Honestly, you mostly will just see your bonnet wide open :lol:
Did laugh when seeing his hand shaken in front of the lens when he discovered the cam upon entering the car. And his quick regard into the lens when opening the bonnet. :mrgreen:

It was handy however when my wife had a flat tire and the car was towed away via Nissan Assistance. The guy assured me that the car would be safely stored inside and it was! Camera only got live the next day, early in the morning when driving of the tow truck into my very own Nissan Dealership. And yes it would have been live as soon as you touch it so it wasn't simply shut down.

Never really thought about possible privacy regulations inside the dealership though and wouldn't mind to shut it off if asked.
But would like to do it myself, just to make sure the don't mess the settings up. :roll:
This said... I'm ALSO filmed by them while waiting in the showroom and don't mind about that.

I think we should be that naive because we are all constantly filmed about everywhere. What's the big deal if you haven't something to hide?
Just avoid picking your nose :lol:
Qashqai J11b 2020 N-TEC - 1.3 DIG-T 140PS
Qashqai J11a Connect Edition 1.6 DIG-T 163PS
Clarky94
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Clarky94 »

I had the Nissan dealer unplug mine when they fitted a tow bar - only found out after went to download the footage after I had a near miss on the way home - I contacted the garage and ask what their policy on dash cams and how I lost footage that I could have potentially needed. I explained I didn’t have a problem with them disconnecting it but a reminder from the service department or even a pre printed note left in the car saying I should check my cam as it had to be disconnected would have been helpful - they took my feed away and promised to update me - let’s see
Current Car Qashqai 2017 j11b 1.5dci Tekna Grey
Coming Soon Qashqai 2021 J12 Tekna 158 in Mag Blue inc Fog Lights