Car dealer disabled my dashcam during service

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Hi Guys,

Just a little bit of info on what happened when I had my car serviced the other day by my local Nissan dealer. Basically i could see my car was washed & then moved about a little, then someone turned off my dashcam before they moved it again, probably into the workshop. I could tell because i could see the cam moving a little with a short recording as it was turned off. The following clip had the car appearing in a different place.

I phoned the dealership to ask why they did this & the reply was that its company policy, so I have requested a copy of this company policy. I've also tweeted Smiths Nissan to ask them for this policy. I have a feeling it does not exist, but we will see in time.

It sounds like i'm a jobsworth, but there was no notice or signage that the garage will be turning off dash cams, I use the recordings to ensure my car had not been used as a taxi or involved in an accident etc.

Anyone wish to comment?

dafman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by dafman »

100% with you on that One brother. Also is there any chance you could put up a pic of where you have positioned you dash cam, thanks
2014 QQ J11 pearl black 1.5dci accenta premium
2018 QQ J11B magnetic red 1.2dig-t n connecta
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I agree, you should definitely be notified if the camera is to be turned off. I'm prepared to be shocked if they do have a policy.

However, thinking illogically, maybe there's a perceived "privacy" or "confidentiality" issue - i.e. you can't see the face of the service technician(s) or you can't see the registration marks of the other cars in the service area.

Sounds like nonsense but it's just the sort of codswallop some folk dream up.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

On the other side of the argument, I'm sure you wouldn't be happy if whatever customer you work for plonked a camera so they could watch you work all day! (not saying I agree with it, but I'm sure there's some kind of basic human right infringement on being monitored against your will)
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
paplane

Post by paplane »

If you don't trust them to treat your car with courtesy then why are you taking it there?

As is said above, camera surveillance by a customer is not really appropriate IMO. I wouldn't want it in my line of work so I wouldn't impose it upon others.
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

I would ask what is the company’s policy on messing about with your personal property!!!
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
Geordieman

Post by Geordieman »

I always switch mine off for the servicing. What I do is take pics all around and inside the car in case there is any damage done by the garage people. I read recently that there is a new EU law coming out about now which prohibits all sorts of photography of anybody without permission.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Geordieman, what you have mentioned is basically what is applied here, theoretically pics of private people are not allowed and the subject of Dashcams and photoing people is still in discussion - Dave :)

Privacy Rights : http://www.dw.com/en/germany-planning-t ... a-36529692

Surveillance Laws : http://www.dw.com/en/things-to-know-abo ... a-39421060

Dashcams : http://www.dw.com/en/dashcam-videos-ger ... a-43319228
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

The next nearest dealer is about an hour away and I needed warranty work carried out, so it was the logical choice. I did trust this dealership, but considering they changed the wrong wheel and damaged the trim inside the car replacing the seat frame, then i'm a bit inclined to have reservations

I know its a ball ache, but the camera shuts off after 1 min of the engine turning off, so its not recording all the time. I guess there are loads and loads of different cameras and the techs wont know what is running or not. So I do get it, but it would have been nice to have been informed.
paplane wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:11 pm If you don't trust them to treat your car with courtesy then why are you taking it there?

As is said above, camera surveillance by a customer is not really appropriate IMO. I wouldn't want it in my line of work so I wouldn't impose it upon others.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I agree with the comments of chrisw99, paplane, Geordieman and DaveBerlin.