AC Problem

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Hi all,

I noticed yesterday that my AC wasn’t getting as cold as it should do, and now when I first start the car and the AC is on it makes a hissing sound for a few seconds. I’ve read this could be low refrigerant or possibly a leak somewhere? The air coming out the grilles now is definitely warmer and it is not cold.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

The car is 2.5 years old and still under warranty but my local dealer closed a few months ago so it’s not as easy to just drop by and ask them to take a look as the next nearest one is an hour away. I think places like Kwik Fit may do a free check but they may just say it needs a refrigerant top up or replacement and not actually solve the problem, I don’t think it should have failed like this without reason?

Thanks.
J11-2016 Tekna 1.5dCi Bronze Metallic

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Baker69, please do not take this as a critism, but this subject is arising nearly every week now. Please take a look in the “Search” Area by just entering for example “Air Con” and there is a vast amount of information to read. The main fault you will find which is a common one to Nissan is a faulty Condenser, most Dealers it appears try to charge for an inspection and a re-Gas (expensive with the R1234yf fluid) as the first option, so tread carefully and do not get stung - Dave :D
PS: as it is still under Warranty get it to a Nissan Dealer quick it is a known fault, check for black marks on the Condenser Front Vanes that is the evidence of a leak.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Thanks Dave, I will find my nearest dealer and give them a call. Is there any chance if might just need a top up of refrigerant, I did see someone had written that they lose about 30% a year, (either gas or efficiency/deterioration).

Someone else has written that the new expensive fluid was on models from 2017 onwards, is that correct? Mine is a 2016.
PDH
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by PDH »

Totally agree with Dave as mine has just had to have the condenser replaced and I had exactly the same symptoms you describe. My QQ is just over 3 years old with 24000 miles on it.

Not a chance it needs a re-gas, condenser has failed. I had to pay though the dealer was very fair and gave me a good discount as it was a known problem but I was out of the warranty period. Inspection is £120 and a new condenser about £300.

Hope this helps

Peter
2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.5 Dci
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Thanks Peter, I’m trying to locate a dealer who is a) open on a Saturday and b) less than an hours drive away. Our local Nissan Dealer here in Worcester closed a few months ago, next nearest is Bromsgrove but their service dept is closed weekends, Stourbridge next nearest but they don’t open until 8:30.

Yeah that’s bad luck being just out of warranty. Mine will be 3 years old in Jan 2019.

We have pretty much every main dealer for all of the vehicle makes here in Worcester, losing our Nissan one was a real blow, it was only about a mile from where I live.
Last edited by Baker69 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

I’ve looked at the condenser but can’t see any marks on it to indicate a leak, it’s all very clean.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Baker69, IMHO do not even entertain a Re-Gas this new stuff R1234yf will cost an Arm & a Leg it is like 8 times more expensive than the old R123a. Ours is a 2014 QQ and this gas was used at its launch because it raised a big issue here being explosive and emitting dangerous gases in the event of an accident this subject has just arisen again here in the Motoring press - Dave :)
This is where you will find the Condenser, just stripped it down for a pic 😂

117FFB11-C3E0-4902-96C1-9549563E49EC.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Thanks for stripping the car down for the photo Dave, much appreciated! :lol:

Do I have any choice with the refrigerant type, I just phoned a dealer and they say it must have it and it’s £98.50 to be done which would be refundable if it is a warranty issue.

I don’t know whether the likes of Kwik Fit could at least confirm that it’s a condenser failure before I do anything. The Birmingham Nissan dealer is an hours drive away and I can only take it there on a Saturday morning as I am at work all week.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

The gasses are not interchangeable and tge price youve been quoted is very very reasonable
PDH
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by PDH »

Baker69 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:20 am I’ve looked at the condenser but can’t see any marks on it to indicate a leak, it’s all very clean.
I couldn't see anything on mine either. It needed the inspection to confirm the issue, they told me it was a split in the casing. Not sure going to any dealer other than Nissan would help you as yours is under warranty, be careful you don't invalidate any warranty cover.

Your dealer should be able to arrange a courtesy car. I borrowed a demonstrator for the day and the dealer was only to happy to help arrange it.

Ask, they can only say no!!

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Peter
2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.5 Dci