First impressions, questions.

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Paulleo
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Paulleo »

Had the QQ for a week now and spent several hours driving in all traffic conditions to an air show this weekend. Excellent drive and we are very pleased with our choice.

Now I feel more comfortable driving, and getting to know where all of the "bells and whistles" are situated, there are a few initial of observations I have regarding auto wipers, auto lights, and sat nav.

Firstly, we left for the air show very early in the morning, and there was dew on the windscreen. The auto wipers did their thing, then continued to stay on despite the screen being clear.I switched them to manual (where I think they will remain).

Secondly, the sat nav. The display was zoomed in too much for my liking. I turned the knob to zoom out but it just zoomed in again. Very annoying. Also the voice volume was quite low. Granted, the radio mutes during the voice instructions, and the dashboard display is useful too but I struggled to hear the commands.

Finally, auto lights. It was a hot sunny drive home in the evening. When I drove through some dense woodland the lights came on. Once in the clear again they remained on. Not the end of the world I know but with the headlights on the sat nav goes into night mode as do the dashboard dials.I switched them to manual (where I think they will remain).

My wife searched through the settings menus to no avail regarding these issues. I will troll through the owners manual again in good time but in the mean time, I turn to you, the more experienced owners, for any hints and tips that you can share.

Thank you in advance.
2017 1.6 dCi N-Connecta J11 Blade Silver 18"Wheels

daddydoug

Post by daddydoug »

Hi
Glad to hear you are liking the new car, here's hoping to answer a few of your questions.

Firstly the wipers. I normally leave mine in manual mode, this is after they were left in auto and tried to wipe when I started up once, and the windscreen was icy! Thankfully it did no damage to the wipers as they dragged themselves across the windscreen, but now feel it safer to leave them in manual mode. However, if it is raining on a journey, I flick them to auto to do their own thing.

The sat nav. I must confess that I leave mine zoomed in as prefer it like this, so not sure what happens to mine when I zoom it out. I will have a try next time I am out. The sat nav voice volume can be altered via the sat nav settings, and Sally sat nav, as we call her, can be quite loud if required. Also I leave my sat nav on daylight mode so when the lights come on the sat nav doesn't change to night mode, again this can be set in the sat nav settings.

As for the auto lights, I do find them a bit hit and miss, but you can alter the settings for when they come on via the steering wheel controls. Go through the menu and find lights and change them accordingly. As I say, they do seem a bit hit and miss, and sometimes you think, come on you should be on by now, and other times you think, what the hell have you come on for!

I hope some of this helps, and hope you continue to enjoy your car. I have had mine for two years now, and still love it to bits.

Cheers
Doug
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
Paulleo

Post by Paulleo »

Thanks Daddydoug, I'll work on the settings tonight.

On my drive home when we picked up the car a post office van pulled out in front of us. I hit the horn...OMG. What were they thinking, sounds like a noddy toy. I notice you have a twin tone sports horn. Where did you get it from and did you fit it yourself?
2017 1.6 dCi N-Connecta J11 Blade Silver 18"Wheels
Gel

Post by Gel »

On horn I changed mine and there are plenty of earlier threads here you can bone up on re replacing.

(Use the SEARCH box in top left hand corner.)
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
switchback

Post by switchback »

Wipers: I leave mine in auto except in cold weather when parked. Switch to auto when screen is clear. They can throw the odd wobbler but by switching them to manual then back to auto sorts it out.

Pretty sure the sat nav screen zoom is automatic and will zoom in and out depending on the speed you are driving at.

Auto lights: Always in auto. They work on the ambient light level (selectable light level)AND the angle the light is coming from so a low sun level in the evening will turn them on. You will need to turn on the lights manually in fog and snow as it's usually not dark enough in these circumstance to activate them.

It's all in the manual somewhere if you can find it 8-) .
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I thought the light level adjustment was for the interior lighting level, not the headlights, maybe i'm wrong!
switchback wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:13 am Auto lights: Always in auto. They work on the ambient light level (selectable light level)AND the angle the light is coming from so a low sun level in the evening will turn them on.
daddydoug

Post by daddydoug »

Hi Paulleo

Ha, yes I know what you mean about the Noddy horn, it's an embarrassment! I installed PIAA slender/slim dual tone sports horns. I bought these on recommendation from this forum, they were about £35, but for the life of me can't remember where I got them from, possibly Amazon, but do a search and you will soon find them on line.

You need pretty slim horns as the space to fit them is pretty tight, but they fit fine. You will have to make up a new bracket as the one fitted with the Noddy horn doesn't fit with these, but I found an old bracket, and with a bit of reshaping they fitted a treat. The wiring was pretty easy too.

If you do a search on here using the keywords "horn" or "twin tone horns" you should find the threads, which I found very useful. Somewhere amongst them you should find a link that I put on here blasting my new horn!

Hope this helps

Doug
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome.

Wipers - I left mine in AUTO - it was fine most of the time. You can adjust sensitivity:

Rain sensor (where fitted)
The sensor of the rain-sensing auto wiper system
located on the upper part of the windscreen, in front
of the rear view mirror, can automatically turn on the
wipers and adjust the wiper speed depending on
the rainfall intensity and the vehicle speed when the
lever in the AUTO position.
The sensitivity can be adjusted by rotating the ring
of the wiper switch forward — less sensitive, or
backward — more sensitive.

Satnav zooming - never found it a problem - I had it on AUTO ZOOM

Satnav volume - adjust in settings menu

Lights - I left mine in AUTO - it was fine most of the time. I had the "O ring" modification to prevent the headlight switch rotating when indicating. I thought you can adjust sensitivity but can't find it in the manual.

Horn - I replaced the original with Fiamm twin horns I'd bought many years ago and never fitted.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
switchback

Post by switchback »

Lights - I left mine in AUTO - it was fine most of the time. I thought you can adjust sensitivity but can't find it in the manual.
There's a menu somewhere that says "earlier/later" and something for in the middle but I can't remember what it is.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Paulleo, take a read of this which might help your Setup - Dave :D

C0DD5A7C-A0BC-44ED-9EDD-E81C1967E820.jpeg

0D2C3AC0-CB59-4BA9-AA09-0DB87911E00A.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken