Electronic brake vs Auto hold - when to use?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
ice_pop
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by ice_pop »

Hi all,

Just had my new Quasqai delivered this morning and took it out for a spin this afternoon. I am new to electronic parking brakes and not sure in which situation to use it. For instance when stopping at a junction or traffic light should I use the parking brake, auto hold or both?!? Might seem a dumb question but I am struggling with getting used to it!

Setting off is a bit of a nightmare as the gas pedal is more sensitive than my old car and I end up really over revving to avoid stalling or pulling away so slowly because I don’t want to over rev the engine!! I hope I get used to it as I am loving my new car!!

FRA40
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by FRA40 »

Auto hold only works for a few seconds whilst on a hill that's over a certain elevation, so if you are on level ground the auto handbrake is your option.
Sandgrounder
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Sandgrounder »

FRA40 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:52 pm Auto hold only works for a few seconds whilst on a hill that's over a certain elevation, so if you are on level ground the auto handbrake is your option.
Hello @FRA40,

I think @ice_pop is asking about the Automatic Brake Hold feature on the J11B model, which is a new feature that operates independently to the Easy Hill Start feature. It works for up to 3 minutes, after which the Electric Parking Brake will take over.

The Automatic Brake Hold will only activate when the light on the dashboard changes from White to Green. When that happens, you should be able to take your foot off the brake. You will notice that the brake pedal cannot be depressed until the light on the dashboard changes back to White from Green (i.e. when you press the accelerator). The rear brake lights will also remain illuminated when the Automatic Brake Hold feature shows green on the dashboard (i.e. the auto hold is working).

Please do see the following from the Nissan Quick Reference Guide, as it isn't guaranteed to work in all situations - better to use the Electric Parking Brake if in doubt (which is the modern equivalent of the handbrake).

IMG_7BC6F07E1517-1.jpeg

Last edited by Sandgrounder on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
ice_pop
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by ice_pop »

Ok that makes sense - thanks. Also I noticed a burning rubbery smell when stopped using parking brake and just after setting off that disappears after around 20 seconds of setting off. Is this something that I have done wrong or caused damage to?