Extended warranty

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

One thing to note that I read in the small print, your total amount claimable on the warranty can not exceed the purchase cost of the car. I assume this means a running total, not for each claim.

So my car cost £14,500 and I've had a new engine for £8,500 ish which leaves £6000. Not really sure where this leaves me if the new engine was to fail, would I be liable for £2,500 ??
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T

valep
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by valep »

chrisw99 I think it is per claim
Qashqai Tenka+ Vivid Blue 2017 1.2
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

It's pretty obvious from the wording:

"Maximum claim limit – the amount you
may claim over the whole period of
the warranty is limited to the purchase
price of your vehicle."
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Yep that's what I remember reading. So I guess I'm stuffed if the replacement engine was to fail again quickly. The question now is - if I was to extend again for an additional year, does that mean a new warranty starts and that gets reset? If not, I'm probably better taking out a years warranty with a different company.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I would like to think there would be a separate warranty for the new Engine, or any other part that is replaced.
chrisw99 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:31 pm Yep that's what I remember reading. So I guess I'm stuffed if the replacement engine was to fail again quickly. The question now is - if I was to extend again for an additional year, does that mean a new warranty starts and that gets reset? If not, I'm probably better taking out a years warranty with a different company.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Daewar wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:50 am I would like to think there would be a separate warranty for the new Engine, or any other part that is replaced.
I asked about that with the dealer, and then doubled checked with NCS, because I assumed I would get 12 months parts and labour on the new part.

Was told that 12 months parts and labour only apply when a customer has paid for something, so if I'd paid 1p towards my engine replacement I possibly would have got it. As I paid nothing, then consumer statutory rights dont apply.

If it's covered by the original warranty (or an extension to it) then the new warranty is only covered until the original warranty expiry.

Seems a bit suss to me, if you only had 1 day left when they replaced the engine you'd only get 1 day warranty on the new one.

At least I still had 9.5 months left on mine so hopefully enough time for short term problems to become apparent. Long term would have been outside 12 months anyway.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I would imagine your still have consumer rights on your side, so the repair should be fit for purpose etc. Making a claim would be more troublesome though.
chrisw99 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:37 pm
Daewar wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:50 am I would like to think there would be a separate warranty for the new Engine, or any other part that is replaced.
I asked about that with the dealer, and then doubled checked with NCS, because I assumed I would get 12 months parts and labour on the new part.

Was told that 12 months parts and labour only apply when a customer has paid for something, so if I'd paid 1p towards my engine replacement I possibly would have got it. As I paid nothing, then consumer statutory rights dont apply.

If it's covered by the original warranty (or an extension to it) then the new warranty is only covered until the original warranty expiry.

Seems a bit suss to me, if you only had 1 day left when they replaced the engine you'd only get 1 day warranty on the new one.

At least I still had 9.5 months left on mine so hopefully enough time for short term problems to become apparent. Long term would have been outside 12 months anyway.