Bonnet Gas struts

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Terry64
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Terry64 »

as I am aware there are some on here who have fitted the gas struts to there bonnet I was wondering if any one can offer some advice, I am not looking where to buy them or fit them but more are they worth fitting.

Do they actually hold the weight of the bonnet without the original bonnet stay in place ?
When opening the bonnet do they take the weight out of it so do they assist in the lifting of the bonnet ?
Are they practical Or are they simply a gimmick that just looks good on the car

Any advise from those who have fitted these and have experienced the difference with and with out please
Thanks
Terry
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights

chosan

Post by chosan »

Terry64 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:50 pm as I am aware there are some on here who have fitted the gas struts to there bonnet I was wondering if any one can offer some advice, I am not looking where to buy them or fit them but more are they worth fitting.

Do they actually hold the weight of the bonnet without the original bonnet stay in place ?
When opening the bonnet do they take the weight out of it so do they assist in the lifting of the bonnet ?
Are they practical Or are they simply a gimmick that just looks good on the car

Any advise from those who have fitted these and have experienced the difference with and with out please
Thanks
Terry

Do they actually hold the weight of the bonnet without the original bonnet stay in place ? Yes.
When opening the bonnet do they take the weight out of it so do they assist in the lifting of the bonnet ? A tiny push upwards is needed.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Certainly worth installing. The QQ bonnet is quite a hefty lump of steel. With the struts you can easily lift it with one finger, just a gentle lift for the first few inches then the struts do all the work. If you are only short in stature, have dexterity problems etc then they really are a very good.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Terry, this Project was pretty lengthy but in the end very worthwhile, if you have not read the Post it might be worth taking a read. The cost at the time was minimal and is still no stealer. I was interested from the beginning and they definitely are a very worthwhile addition, quick Installation, robust, minimises the effort of opening, just a slight lift required. They are definitely not a gimmick and they do not need to look nice as you cannot see them.
I originally installed another set before finalizing with the Forum Set and they were rubbish, but this set is still working well, even our Dealership liked them. My recommendation for the outlay is buy some - Dave 😉

Unfortunately it appears that the photos disappeared when a Forum update was carried out. If you need photos I could most probably find them :
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2272&hilit=Bonnet+Struts#p24914
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Gel

Post by Gel »

Here are some pics. ;)

Strut1.jpg

Strut Parts.jpg

2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Big Blue

Post by Big Blue »

I have also fitted these bonnet gas struts and think ther are great. They easily support the bonnet and only need a very small upward lift to lift the bonnet. At the cost of about £45 they are well worth it.
Greg86

Post by Greg86 »

As others have said, very useful addition. Hold the bonnet securely. Easy to fit. Cheap to buy. I find the oem stay gets in the way when working under the bonnet, but these don't at all.

Long story short, buy them, fit them. No more to be said 👍
2015 QQ 1.5 dci Ntec+
Nightshade
Team Heko wind deflectors
Hard wired Nextbase 212 dash cam
Gas bonnet strut kit
Debadged rear
Mud guards
LED strip lights in boot
PIAA dual tone horn
3D Gel numberplates
LED headlights
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

I agree, they make opening and closing the bonnet much easier.

20150922_175617.jpeg

20150922_175608.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.
Terry64

Post by Terry64 »

Well thats the answers I wanted to hear thanks all, looks like I will have to order a set.
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights
Dragstar

Post by Dragstar »

Hi Terry, I fitted a Bonnet strut Kit Very Pleased, goes up with ease Holds no Problems at all i even removed my Bonnet stay
2014 Qashqai Accenta Premium 1.5DCI, Gunmetal Paintwork, Crossover Pack, Pan Roof,Bonnet Strut Kit, sidebars, and a Bit of Chrome :D
2011 Audi TT Quattro Roadster Volcano Red (Pearl}
2012 Vauxhall VXR GTC Arden Blue
2012 Vauxhall GTC 140 SRi