Air Con Service

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
QQ17

Post by QQ17 »

Evening All

I got a letter today from my local Nissan garage stating my Qashqai (registered 14.5.16 but with only 50 miles on the clock when I got it on 24.2.17) is now due for its 'air conditioning service'. After several paragraphs explaining how essential this is, and what a wonderful job they'll do, it went on to say that for vehicles registered after March 2013 the service has been reduced in price from £249 to £149.

In the 20 months I've had the vehicle it's done less than 13,000 miles, so I wonder if (a) an air con service is really due/necessary and (b) if it is, is the garage's offer of £149 value for money?

Grateful for your thoughts

Nick
2016 Magnetic Red Qashqai Tekna 1.2 DIG-T

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Totally not required if the aircon is working for you. Just the dealer trying to make money from the foolhardy.

Couple of things to note.
1. Run the aircon at least once per month to ensure the seals are lubricated, this helps to reduce fluid/gas loss.
2. If possible turn the aircon off about 5 mins before you shut the engine off. This allows the evaporator time to dry and helps reduce the chance of getting a musty smell after a time in the car. Some people just leave the aircon on all the time and have no issues.
3. Some say the aircon uses very little extra fuel, but I have read many reports it cost about -5mpg when it's a hot day.

QQ17 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:15 pm Evening All

I got a letter today from my local Nissan garage stating my Qashqai (registered 14.5.16 but with only 50 miles on the clock when I got it on 24.2.17) is now due for its 'air conditioning service'. After several paragraphs explaining how essential this is, and what a wonderful job they'll do, it went on to say that for vehicles registered after March 2013 the service has been reduced in price from £249 to £149.

In the 20 months I've had the vehicle it's done less than 13,000 miles, so I wonder if (a) an air con service is really due/necessary and (b) if it is, is the garage's offer of £149 value for money?

Grateful for your thoughts

Nick
QQ17

Post by QQ17 »

Many thanks Daewar - I thought it sounded a bit suspect.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

You might even say it's an "Air Con" :)

To be honest I now leave my aircon on all the time.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
simmo400

Post by simmo400 »

Good idea to run the Air con once a month. If it cools and de mists the car all is well I'd say. Nissan is in it to make cash so an air con service is easy money for them.
Simmo
QQ17

Post by QQ17 »

Thanks Simmo - as gloucester said "Air Con" is probably about right!
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Lol,

´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶……..
´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´¶¶……
´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶……….
´´´´´¶´´´´´¶´´´´¶¶´´´´´¶¶´´´´¶¶´´´´´¶¶…………..
´´´´´¶´´´´´¶´´´¶¶´´´´´´¶¶´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´¶¶…..
´´´´´¶´´´´¶´´¶¶´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´¶¶…..
´´´´´´¶´´´¶´´´¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶….
´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶….
´´´¶´´´´´´´´´´´´¶´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´¶¶….
´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´¶´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´¶¶….
´¶¶´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´¶¶…
´¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´´´¶¶….
´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶…..
´´¶´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶….
´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´¶´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶….
´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶…..
´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶…….
gloucester wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:40 pm You might even say it's an "Air Con" :)

To be honest I now leave my aircon on all the time.
RS200E

Post by RS200E »

Halfords sell top up kit £30 trigger (re-useable) and £100 bottle gas r1234yf (it holds about three top ups & £10 back when empty).

This is a simple task to do run engine with A/C on for two minutes, connect trigger/ gas, pull trigger, and check gauge reading, keep going till gauge is green. Voila recharged gas, cheapest quote I got was £259.00, so this kit is massive saving.

BTW A/C can lose up to 20% gas a year, so will not work when low pressure. When mine did not work I saw all horror stories that QQ has issues, but it is just normal wear and tear.
2015 Qashqai Techna Black, X-tronic 1.6dci. Gun metal grey.
oldman64

Post by oldman64 »

I've had quite a few cars in my life time with AC, These vehicles were not new when purchased a Sierra, Primera, Rover 620, Peugeot 307, all of these I've had more than 5-8 yrs at a time. Never have I had to have the air Con topped up so I cannot be-leave AC loose as much as (20%) in a years driving, think of the environment with that many vehicle leaking it would there be an outcry about it !! . I watched a Youtube video about replacing the condenser on the Qashqia and what I could see with the faulty one taken out is that most of the issue is probably stone chips hitting the condenser through the grill. So was thinking once mine has been replaced putting a gorse fiber mesh between the grill and condenser to stop this. It will still allow air to pass through and around but not objects !.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

If gas pressure had fallen and evidenced by poor cooling I'd be bothered about where it had escaped from. So default topping up without a leak test is rather daft. Add system faults.

I'm also surprised at aircon gas being easily available to the public. This is supposed to be a tightly controlled subject and operated by qualified folk.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta