Start/stop tech- how does it work?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Kris2.palmer
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Kris2.palmer »

Hi guys,

I've just brought a 15 plate Qashqai Ntec+, LOVE IT!

I would like some clarification as to how to use the start stop tech? It sometimes seems to work when I stop in traffic, but at other times does not. Can someone treat me like a complete novice and tell me what to do? Ie, neutral and press break pedal ect.

Thanks in advance!

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Gearbox in neutral.
After that, it's a bit of a lottery.
Some factors
1. - heated seats, front or rear window on - the engine might not stop.
2. - big difference between requested internal heating and outside temperature - it might not stop
In summary, from my personal experience (Juke 1.5dci and QQ 1.5dci) the electronic control unit (ECU) decides but how those choices are made can vary

edit for spelling
Last edited by MikeGC on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Kris2.palmer

Post by Kris2.palmer »

Is the system just a bit naff then? Like you say, it seems like it depends if the car is feeling like playing ball or not. Very odd.

You don't need to have the parking break on or anything then?
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I think it works fine but Nissan have tried to build in some leeway to protect the battery and might have been a bit over protective.
After a 40 mile, sub-zero temperature, practically non-stop drive last winter the start/stop did work fine as I approached home but the car was warm, etc. etc.
This morning (I guess it was 4C) the start/stop kicked-in after a mile with car was still cold.

I'm happy with the way it works but it is little "quirky"

edit - my spellong is really wonky today
Last edited by MikeGC on Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

If you have not read this then give it a read. There should also be old comments in the “Search” Area which you could try also - Dave :)

04FCA16F-564D-4D08-9FC3-C1EC75A2C76C.jpeg

36A6D532-990F-4102-BC03-2EE5C575075C.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Terry64

Post by Terry64 »

Mine very rarely kicks in.
I am sure I read some where there are many factors to when and why it comes on or not, not sure what they all were now
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights
Noddy1875

Post by Noddy1875 »

I sit with my foot on the clutch at traffic lights, so mines never coming on. Not 1 of the reasons I bought it
Pearl Black 65 reg Tekna. 1.5 DCI
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Stop Start technology on a Qashqai is ridiculously flawed.

I used to call it "Out-of-County" Stop/Start since it never activated commuting into work and travelling around Gloucester and its environs.

After a long run it would activate briefly - e.g. a run to Heathrow airport saw it activate when I stopped in a layby - but it then failed. Coming back it happened for the rest of that day but it had disappeared again by the next day.

The dealer gave various excuses as to why it would not come one - some of these were false (e.g. steering wheel not straight).

He actually told me I wasn't driving the car hard enough! I needed to rev it more !!!!!

A new battery was fitted which made no difference.

I was convinced that the problem related to the battery charging system not charging the battery properly but of course the dealer could find nothing wrong with it.

This was part of my 4 page letter submitted at the three-year service - nothing was done:

1 – Stop/Start system hardly ever works.

I can only recall the Stop/Start system operating briefly on two days since New Year – and only on a handful of other days between the last service and New Year. It only kicks in after I’ve driven a considerable distance. Not even a trip to Bristol Airport was sufficient to make it operational. I complained at length about this when I bought the car from yourselves two years ago. Eventually a replacement battery was fitted but that didn’t resolve the issue. I complained about it at the service 12 months ago but nothing could be found amiss. I was advised (jokingly?) that I was driving the car too gently! All I can say to that is that the car is using a LOT of petrol – when I topped up last time on 8 April 2018 the actual calculated fuel consumption was only 27.1mpg (the computer displayed 26.2mpg) – I’m sure a fair proportion of that deficit on the at-least 35mpg I’d expect is the fact that Stop/Start simply doesn’t work when it’s intended to – in traffic! I maintain something is fundamentally wrong with the system, either possibly affecting just my car, or a wider malaise affecting all Qashqais.

This continuing fault was one of the reasons for selling the car - as well as lots of other problems with the dealer and concerns re long term fragility

Conversely Stop Start on its Ignis replacement is wonderful. Apart from the first few metres of a journey and apart from the recent two or three weeks of cold weather it's almost always activated when coming to a stop.

Note I said "when coming to a stop" there - the car doesn't have to be stationary, merely travelling at less than 10mph. The engine then stops and the brakes remain available for bringing the car to a halt.

Restart is much more instant than the Qashqai was too.

Furthermore the Stop Start is configurable - so you can have it in Eco, Normal and Comfort mode. Eco mode means that the Stop Start cuts in more readily and does so by reducing the AC/ventilation rate (the fan speed drops right down). Comfort on the other hand prioritises AC/Ventilation. I run it in ECO mode.

Absolutely no complaints with the Ignis's technology!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Terry, have you had your battery replaced yet? This was a symptom for my QQ battery about to fail. One replaced the Start-stop worked as expected.
Terry64 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:49 pm Mine very rarely kicks in.
I am sure I read some where there are many factors to when and why it comes on or not, not sure what they all were now
Terry64

Post by Terry64 »

Daewar wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:44 pm Terry, have you had your battery replaced yet? This was a symptom for my QQ battery about to fail. One replaced the Start-stop worked as expected.
Terry64 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:49 pm Mine very rarely kicks in.
No never had the Battery changed but I have never mentioned to the dealer that the Stop Start very rarely kicks in, I just thought this was how the system worked.
I think it is time to ring the dealer and say car struggles to start on cold mornings and also mention the stop start, if I just mention the stop start they will just say that is how it is.

Thanks for the heads up on this I was aware some had there batteries changed but was not sure what for.
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights