Qashqai Turning off after rear end accident

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
sckeith
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by sckeith »

Hllo

My wife and I bought a 2018 Qashqai SL (canada) and yesterday we were stopped at a light and got rear-ended, not a lot of damage but some. When we got hit the car turned off while in Drive so I was unable to get out of the car. After I got orientated again I started the car and put it into park. I was wondering if this was some kind of feature built into the car :(

I went to a Nissan dealer and they had never heard of that before but they tend to say that about anything with the car

I've been rear ended a couple of times but the cars never shut off

Thanks

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Hi,

This feature is in most modern cars, if not all of them. Its designed to turn off the fuel/fuel pump after an accident to stop the car from catching fire if a fuel line was broken.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Daewar, this subject raised by sckeith is interesting as I have never seen this Fuel “Cut Off” System mentioned before in the QQ’s Safety Data when a “Back Ender” happens. If you have any information that the QQ does have this I would be interested on this information, or is your comment just a general one ? - Dave :)

I am a member of the German Motoring Assoc. “ADAC” and they have a Website which is updated by the Motor Manufacturers where you can down load a “Safety Card”, print it out and place in your Vehicle for the Emergency Services (See attached in German). The primary reason is to make the Services aware of Safety Issues. There is also a Bar Code available which I have also on the Drivers Door Pillar and in the Fuel Tank Cap which can be scanned by an App also by the Emergency Services. The diagram shows no “Fuel Cut Off” the Fuel Tank is shown in Light Green.

6C34E45F-C608-492D-90C5-1C670E7CBE31.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I also recall reading about this quite a while back. Apparently the fuel line is cut off in an accident but I can’t recall where the sensor is that activates it, I can only presume it’s the accelerometer that is linked to the airbags?
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

I think the concern was that the doors wouldn't open - or at least that's how I read it.

" When we got hit the car turned off while in Drive so I was unable to get out of the car "
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Gloucester, perhaps I got it wrong but I understood the question to be regarding the System Shut Down temporary after the “Rear Ender”. My understanding was whether there was some form of Safety Feature activated as mentioned for example a Fuel Sensor (as mentioned by Daewar) which apparently some vehicles do have - Dave 😁
I found nothing related to Nissan - over to you 🤨
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Gel

Post by Gel »

UK owners could ask an RAC patrol, as their database would surely show location.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

From the handbook:

AUTOMATIC DOOR LOCKS
. All doors lock automatically when the vehicle
speed reaches 15 MPH (24 km/h).
. All doors unlock automatically when the
ignition switch is placed in the OFF position
or when the shift lever is moved to the P
(Park) position, if selected (CVT model).

... so the accident caused the car to turn off, but the doors wouldn't open since neither condition above was satisfied.

That's the logical deduction but I'd have though it might be deemed a safety hazard if you can't get out of the car without performing one of those actions?
Last edited by gloucester on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Terry64

Post by Terry64 »

Ford/Mazda have had this fuel cut off system when involved in a bump for years,(emergency inertia fuel switch ) they used to be a switch in the boot hidden behind the boot liners that you had to push to reset.
There was no mention of the system in the hand book and no mention of how to reset it.
I think there button has been relocated to under the hood now.

I have not heard of any other brand using such system but Nissan may be using a system or could it just be the knock caused some electrical fault and the fuel pump relay cut the fuel for a moment, cutting the engine?

Just because Nissan have not made it public they have a system in place does not mean it is not, Ford did not have any mention in there manuals of there system or where to locate the reset button.
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Contacted Nissan U.K. who confirm the QQ does NOT have a fuel cut off system at all.