Korky's Quick Review

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
korky

Post by korky »

Finally got to borrow the car for the weekend and a decent run out yesterday. Run back up later today.

The drive was a mix of city and motorway so a good chance to let the QQ stretch it's legs.

Interior & Tech:
Everything seems to be in the right place. No awkward stretching to adjust seats, mess around with the connect etc.

The Nav maps seem a lot better than the 2010 QQ that sister has.

Now I know there have been various comments on the comfortable-ness (is that a word?) of the seats - in fairness they were fine. I'm coming from daily drive of sport seats so yes whilst these high and flat they are good.

Had a good play around with the connect - DAB in some cases takes time to load stations I assume as they aren't necessarily available so gave up and hooked up the iPhone. Spotify worked really well and great to see the album art displayed. I knew this worked for iTunes songs on the phone but good to from streaming.

Sound system again I think for the majority of people it is good enough. Now for my parents it will do the job perfectly. They don't listen to loud and bass heavy music so again it's just fine.

Playing with all driver aids - boy does this car like to beep away randomly and I have no idea why :)

Speed camera warnings work - some out dated locations and a couple missing but a decent enough warming.

Lane Assist - ok so I had a play and it works - I like this and can see how it could get annoying but I like.

Blind Spot Warning - nice feature with the orange lights coming up as you pass or cars pass either side. Even better when you indicate to pull out as someone is in the blind spot the car does what it does best - beeps away!!

Chassis Control - no idea what this does

Steering Effort - is there really a difference between Normal and Sport?

My Apps - didn't work as I hadn't downloaded Nissan Connect App and register - might do that later this morning before the return leg up north!

Now on to the driving...

So once again I'm comparing this to my daily drive...

The 1.5dci engine has definitely got some punch! It feels a lot better than the 2010 1.5dci in that it's quieter, more refined and overall more economical. Now due to the mix of driving I only averaged 48.8mpg - am I disappointed by that...possibly as would've loved to have seen around 55-60mpg but then when I think of the city side of driving this isn't too bad (heck much better than is see on the same run in my car)

Wind Noise - yes there is some when travelling on the motorway but it's not annoying. Also pop on some music and you can't hear it.

The sound proofing does seem to be so much better in this new QQ.

Stop Start: possibly has a mind of it's own I'm not sure - but twice it didn't come to stop when is expected it to. Saying that I thought somewhere is heard or read the engine needs to warm up before it happens...but stop start was working straight away. Anyway nice too see I saved the environment slightly. No faults to be fair to report.

Overtaking - so it's a little punchy engine, has a really short 1st gear but I knew that as the 2010 does as well. But once in 2nd - 6th it can be stretched quite well. It overtakes fine...

The higher driving position is really nice and I think my own next car will be a SUV type vehicle...think anyway!

My only downside is the boot- it isn't bigger than the old one at all and is quite limited when you put in a pushchair and couple of bags.

I have to say overall I am very very impressed. Yes Nissan have pulled out a winning car and for all that currently have one and those waiting to get one - you shouldn't regret a thing!

More so having played with the car I know it was the right car for my parents.

PeterL

Post by PeterL »

That seems a very fair review to me Korky, well done! I too agree that the driving really is good and the !.6 engine, with auto, is also very punchy and gives the confidence you need when putting it through its paces. The chassis control by the way really comes into its own when you take the car on a fast trip on winding country roads there is very little roll for a tall car, it seems to stick like glue to the road, not unlike a sports car really but probably 20mph slower to achieve the same effect!
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

korky, a nice write up it was better than reading the Sunday Papers today - Thanks Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
asinrute

Post by asinrute »

[quote="DaveBerlin"]korky, a nice write up it was better than reading the Sunday Papers today - Thanks Dave [/QUOTE]
Actually in the Sunday Times Driving section today was a road test of QQ v Merc GLA v BMW X1, taken from a woman's perspective, of course the QQ came out on top
First ever Nissan and ordered a QQ Tekna 1.6 CVT in Blue Cancelled because of delivery delays
cliffgorse

Post by cliffgorse »

Many thanks Korky nice review and your contribution Peter for some of us who are waiting for the 1.6 CVT, I am looking forward to get mine.
1.6 dci CVT Tekna Nightshade Delivery picked up on the 17th
korky

Post by korky »

Way back...57mpg so much better! Full tank gave around 600-610 miles - impressive!

The other thing that impressed me which I'd totally forgotten about was the traffic speed recognition...it's pretty flawless in such it also picks up the overhead speed signs on the motorway 100% of the time and accurately. Reason I say pretty flawless on one A road it picked up the slip road speed sign other than that it's really good!
tequilla

Post by tequilla »

thanks! great review.
Tequilla
bev 2311

Post by bev 2311 »

What noise does speed camera warning make I as yet havent heard it is it the same beep as lane assist and blind spot just a basic beep
john w

Post by john w »

Speed camera beep is very low almost to the point if. Radio on to loud you will miss itjohn w2014-05-19 22:23:25
korky

Post by korky »

[quote="bev 2311"] What noise does speed camera warning make I as yet havent heard it is it the same beep as lane assist and blind spot just a basic beep[/QUOTE]

It's a louder quicker beep (only two I think)

Lane assist is something like 3 beeps but different....great description huh.

As john says tho if you have your radio on loud (would have to be significantly loud) you would miss it)