Fire Extinquisher for QQ

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

After reading and posting the facts on the New Air Con Fluid R1234yf and reading the comment from the EU Commisioner that "all Cars should have Fire Extinquishers installed" I decided to take a note on this subject. We personally have always had a 1 Kg Extinquisher in our cars, most probably the reason being that here you have to take "Erste Hilfer" (First Aid) courses. In the event of an accident, whether you are involved, a witness or just passing by you have to stop and administer Help !. Extinquishers are not compulsary but "recommended" and what is recommended by the Fire Service here is a Powder Extinquisher which has the Classes A : Solids / B : Liquids / C : Gases. These normally have a Life Time of 20 years but they need to be checked every 2 years (if you have one have you done this ?). The recommendation is to have a 2 Kg Extinquisher in preference to a 1 Kg the reason being is that the larger is more likely to eliminate and control a Fire. When using and especially if the R1234yf is involved you should ensure that you stand in the opposite direction to the wind flow a€“ the Gas is Dangerous ! - comments are from the Fire Service.In many Eastern European Countries now you have to have an Extinquisher but also inc. are Belgium, Greece and Turkey. The recommendation is to fit the Extinquisher under the Drivers Seat, but if you take a look at the examples in the Photo you will see you need a hell of a lot of space a€“ Left = 1Kg / Right = 2Kg. I believe the comment is because it is then handier to the driver and not stuck in the rear of the car. Obviously you also never know where you will get hit. What we also have in our Cars is an Emergency Hammer & Cutter for the Glass & Seatbelt. These Products are also not too expensive.

Many of you will think this is a little bit of an over kill but for me Safety is a priority and we should be prepared for any happenings and just by mentioning the subject hopefully it will raise Questions in all of your minds. So the question remains have any Forum Members installed Extinquishers in their new QQ's and if so what Type, where and how as I am interested when I get mine ? Here is hoping this was of some interest to you all - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Nope, I completely agree and used to carry one myself when I was in the stripped out Primera and the 200sx. These days I must admit it sits at home but in my boy racer days I helped organise a 'legal' event in Warrington. This also included a burn out strip! One day, some youth in a Pug 206 decided to make use of this strip and rather than burning out his tyres, proceeded to completely destroy his clutch.... he didn't realise what was happening until it was too late, clutch exploded and due to the heat surrounding oil and plastic caught fire. I only had a small powder extinguisher but it was enough to control the fire enough until somebody was able to bring over a larger unit to put it out and cool down the area completely. The extinguisher also comes in handy when me and the lads go Shakespreare raceway (yep, gets packed up with the rest of the camping gear). One of the lads has a old school mini with a turbo conversion. He got to the convoy point (which was a petrol station!!) an d smoke started to appear. Lifted the hood to be greeted by a small oil fire at the back of the engine where there was a small oil leak onto the exhaust manifold... one of the other lads had again a power extinguisher and was able to put it out.
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

Absolutely no problem with this Dave it is totally sensible and I too have carried an extinguisher for many years along with the First Aid Kit and the Triangles. Goes back to my time in Germany I guess, the hammer is new to me and I will get one of those. Everything is in the boot though and will probably stay there although I take the point, actually the hammer will be inside, not much point at all otherwise.
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

I need to get the hammer and cutter. thanks for the info.I've had a extinguisher in the car since my first car, a reliant Robin, caught fire with all of us in it.
tekna cvt mag red
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

2kg is a serious extinguisher and those German discounters have from time to time. Normally ABC rated, and normally good quality German ones with guage. You need to check occasionally that the needle remains in green zone.EUROPEAN rules dictate these always have to be refillable, but economics dictate, far cheaper to buy new, if pressure drops or extinguisher used.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Gel, a 2Kg Extinquisher is a Big Mean Looking thing and the biggest problem is finding a handy place for one this size. I am not really sure that the German ones are any better than any where else. But there are always deals around and this week at ATU (Halfords type Store) there is a 1Kg priced at a‚¬9,99 down from a‚¬15,99, 2Kg are also on offer.
These things also have to be checked every 2 years and at these offer prices it is more economical to buy new and disgard them in the correct place - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

The quality is generally superior to those made in other parts of Europe or Middle East; the only checking needed is the gauge reading, and no need to discard after 2 years; most have 5+ years Guarantee eg Gloria brand or one of their secondary brand names (well known brand in Germany).These are of the dry powder type.Halfords this morning shows a 800G one for £19.99, or 1kg for £29.99; these look like steel containers.Aldi/Lidl prices will be far sharper generally, but none on offer currently; also they're usually in the lighter(more expensive) aluminium container, which are also more stylish. Have mine in space in left of boot area, and it tucks away fine in there. Because of the recess, it's somewhat hidden of course.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

I've put mine in the armrest/binnacle, the hiviz waistcoat folded around it stops it rattling and there is still plenty of space for iPod, sweets, sundry charging cables etc.
tekna cvt mag red
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

andrewjoseph, could you do us a favour and take a pic of the fire extinguisher in position in the Armrest, sounds a good solution as long as it does not obstruct access. Is it screwed in place and easy to access quickly when required ?. I have just got back from buying a 1Kg extinguisher (was a‚¬15,99 - this week a‚¬9,99) because although a 2Kg would be better they are way too big. I have to post the answer from Nissan on the Air Con R1234yf Fire Hazard also - Thanks Dave
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

It's not screwed or fastened in any way. you have to lift the lid for access, but is fairly quick to get at. I like this as practicality anyone can get to it from inside the car but it's not getting in the way either. I've removed the jacket to show space.I tried it in the door pockets and it will fit but not easy to get at from other side of car.
tekna cvt mag red