Aftermarket head unit

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Brian71
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Brian71 »

Hi all, just reading through this Theme and I too am hoping to buy a new Head Unit for my J11 Qashqai Tekna 2015 1.5 Diesel
I´ve seen the Dasaita one on eBay and also watched all the videos on Youtube how to install, I speak German as I live in Germany so it was no problem for me, I have since written to this guy in Cologne and had an answer to my question.......

CAN I USE APPLE CARPLAY with it??? His Answer he's not sure but believes it doesn't work.

I need to know this as with the Bosch Unit its not possible, and basically Crap.

At 360€ I think its a good price and it does look really good, but not being able to use Apple CarPlay would be quite disappointing. Its the fact that its an Android radio that confuses.

Can anyone shed light on my problem before I go and buy it

It looks like the only way would be to fit the radio then fit a separate dongle to convert which I think is just stupid, if anyone has a link for me for a decent Double Din radio for my Car that works with Apple CarPlay I would very much Appreciate it

Thanks in advance Brian

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Brian71 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:35 am Hi all, just reading through this Theme and I too am hoping to buy a new Head Unit for my J11 Qashqai Tekna 2015 1.5 Diesel
I´ve seen the Dasaita one on eBay and also watched all the videos on Youtube how to install, I speak German as I live in Germany so it was no problem for me, I have since written to this guy in Cologne and had an answer to my question.......

CAN I USE APPLE CARPLAY with it??? His Answer he's not sure but believes it doesn't work.

I need to know this as with the Bosch Unit its not possible, and basically Crap.

At 360€ I think its a good price and it does look really good, but not being able to use Apple CarPlay would be quite disappointing. Its the fact that its an Android radio that confuses.

It looks like the only way would be to fit the radio then fit a separate dongle to convert which I think is just stupid, if anyone has a link for me for a decent Double Din radio for my Car that works with Apple CarPlay I would very much Appreciate it

Thanks in advance Brian
Brian....I believe the head units are Android OS ( Operating System) as per mobile phones. Stable versions at the moment are either Android 7 or 8. So an Apple App won't load..let alone work. There are some that are Win CE...strangely? Never seen an App that converts Apple to Android functions.

As mobile phones there are default Apps with the Android OS and others maybe loaded, but only Android.

The fitting instructions and type of unit favoured is on this site somewhere. There are limitations but not as bad as Nissans limits!

Try this:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3465

Colin
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
HgtDave

Post by HgtDave »

Brian71 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:35 am Hi all, just reading through this Theme and I too am hoping to buy a new Head Unit for my J11 Qashqai Tekna 2015 1.5 Diesel

Thanks in advance Brian
Brian
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto have a similar process, they both operate by displaying a limited list of your mobile phone application on a compatible car head unit, it’s a stopgap process until car manufacturers wake up and create good integrated Android Automotive Head units with access to your car hardware and software systems, it’s in development.

The head unit you are looking at has the Android Automotive operating system based on Android 8 or 9 depending on the version you purchase. The hardware is a 10.2 inch display, processor and a number of associated modules, GPS, sound amplifier, FM tuner, Bluetooth and WiFi. You may say it’s a like an Android Tablet made for a car. It is not compatible with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

Your QQ Tekna with 360deg cameras will need the CanBus adaptor which interfaces the Dasaita with your QQ. This in the Automotive part of the operating system. As with a tablet, it won’t make a phone call direct, you pair your phone with Bluetooth for this functionality. You can connect a USB data dongle for internet access or use your mobile in hotspot WiFi mode. If you need DAB+ radio you will need a USB adaptor as it doesn’t have this feature, there is no DAB in China where these are developed.

There is no need for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto as the unit has all the functionality you should need.

David
IT Consultant of 37Yrs (Retired)
Mk2 Qashqai - J11 1.6 Dig-T Tekna (Ex)
Now BMW X3
Dasaita Android 8.0 4+32g Octa core HA5225 V840 Head Unit
as fitted to my now EX Qashqai
Oz_Qai

Post by Oz_Qai »

Hi all from the Land Down Under,
I have just installed in my 2018 Nissan Qashqai Ti the Dasaita PX6 Android 9.0 head unit.
I am absolutely over the moon with this head unit compared the crappy factory unit.
It's super fast and the steering wheel controls all work including the 360 all round camera.
Installation was a breeze as all the wiring plugs straight into the cars original harness including the GPS/DAB aerial. For DAB+ you need a usb receiver.
I have also installed a usb 3.0 hub in my center console to mount my usb devices which all work great with the head unit.
The end product looks far better the the factory unit.

20190702_142642.jpg

20190702_145005.jpg

20190702_142848.jpg

20190630_203143.jpg

20190630_203721.jpg

20190630_211545.jpg

vanginger74

Post by vanginger74 »

I have a 2007 QQ but looking to replace it with a 2017/8 model. The biggest thing missing for me, compared to the Kadjar is Android Auto. I need decent maps with traffic.
I thank you all for posting your aftermarket solutions above and will probably go down that route.
Just a question I wondered if anyone considered - would the new infotainment model in the 2019 QQ fit and work? It looks the same size and shape from the photos I have seen. Would Nissan sell them as spare parts?
Kingtrout

Post by Kingtrout »

Oz_Qai wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:45 am Hi all from the Land Down Under,
For DAB+ you need a usb receiver..
Hi. Nice info.. I have seen these usb dab+ dongles.. They often come with a dab antenna that sticks to the windshield, not a good solution when the windshield has a heat element.. Do you know if one could use the gps/dab connector original to the car instead on the usb dab+ dongle..?

Cheers