Keyless entry / security

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
bobbycfc
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by bobbycfc »

With the rise in “relay thefts” of keyless entry cars, how are you guys with this feature dealing with it on a day to day basis?

I would guess spare key in some sort of tin box but what about your day to day key?

probyan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by probyan »

Bought a couple of faraday bags for about a fiver from eBay. Works well.
My 5th Qashqai 23 Reg 1.3 Digi T Burgandy
My 4th Qashqai 19 Reg 1.3 DIG-T 160 Tekna+ Chestnut Bronze
My 3rd Qashqai 16 Reg 1.2 DIG-Tekna Gunmetal Grey
My 2nd Qashqai 13 Reg 1.5 360 Pearl White
My 1st Qashqai 10 Reg 1.6 DCI nTec Nightshade
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Spare key in a back bedroom (a long way from the car) and in a metal box (50p at a local car boot sale).
"Main" set routinely stored in the microwave oven (ready made Faraday cage), especially overnight or when I go out without the car.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Bobbycfc, take a look at this reasonably long post from “Search” which I believe has most of the options stated. We have been using a “Themis” Security Wallet (Faraday) for a few years now, many similiar ones on the webs and it works ! - Dave 😊

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5973&p=64738&hilit=Mercedes#p64727
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Since you were asking - nothing!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
J0nnyb0i

Post by J0nnyb0i »

Just get yourself a faraday pouch, they're cheap enough. You could even just carry your main set of keys in one until you're going to be using the car.
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

Picked up my QQ yesterday a 14plate J11 Acenta Premium and my key has to within a metre (yard for us old uns :D ) for it to be able to open the door, so I see no problem with that.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Qashowner, the problem is not the Function of the Key it is the stealing of the QQ. Have you read this attachment ? If yes you will see why so much has been posted on this subject. The problem is “Electronic Copying” of the Key whether it be keys laying at home or in your pocket. I think that because of the News, Police Comments, Plus all the deterents available - Biscuit Tins, Faraday Waller’s etc that there is a major problem, but obviously not in your eyes or you have misunderstood the problem- Dave 😉

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5973&p=64738&hilit=Mercedes#p64727
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Car thefts up 9% with 113,000 stolen in England and Wales last year - Dave 🤨

https://mol.im/a/6959291

Here are 5 recommendations from the attachment as a quick overview :

Car security basics: Ensure your vehicle is parked in a well-lit or secure area, properly locked and all valuables are removed. Once in your home or office, ensure your car keys are as far away from doors and windows as possible, preferably shut inside a drawer.

Signal-blocking Faraday pouches: Don't assume that wrapping your key in foil will do a good enough job.
As keyless car crime has spiked, several anti-theft pouches have hit the market that are designed to block signals emitted by the key. The idea is simple - keep your key inside the Faraday pouch when not in use, and special material will prevent a relay amplifier from picking up its unique signal and transmitting it. We'd recommend only buying these from a reputable outlet, however, and looking for reviews and accreditation to ensure it will work.

Switch off the key: The wireless signal from some keyless fobs can be turned off, although the feature isn't always obvious and can require a combination of button presses. Consult the manual or contact the manufacturer to find out if this is possible for the keys to your car.Switching off the key should certainly thwart keyless car thieves, and could also be recommended when heading off on holiday. It's also worth checking with the manufacturer if any software updates are available, as it may be that a system for preventing keyless car theft has been developed since you got your car.

Physical security measures: As criminals turn to technology, many owners are resorting to low-tech physical security devices like steering wheel locks and driveways with locked gates or barriers. Make life difficult for thieves in this way and even if they can unlock the car, hopefully they won't be able to drive away in it. Many criminals will also move on to an easier target when faced with extra security that's time consuming and noisy to defeat.

Tracking devices: It's possible to subscribe to a security company like Tracker, which can fit a tracking device to your car and use it to trace its location if it's stolen. According to the company, 96 per cent of cars fitted with its technology are recovered when stolen, compared with just 50 per cent in other cases.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Has this Tracker (or similar) had an airing on the forum? Can't find in a search...

Streetwize GPS Tracker. No Plan type:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-s ... ps-tracker

“As soon as a thief tampers with your motor you’ll know about it.”...Apparently?

Don't work on Three? Need to ask them I think.

Colin
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta