J11a Vs j11b voice recognition

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
scottmcmullan8
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by scottmcmullan8 »

Hi

I have been looking at upgrading my ford focus 2012 Titanium to a qashqai j11a model.

My question is I use voice dialling a lot i.e. call mum

I read over all the posts and issues with the voice recognition not working properly. I got confused as some people say it works ok inthe j11a but not the j11b.

Can someone comment on this please who has a j11. I have an android phone. I use Spotify via Bluetooth. If these features don't work as they do in my 2012focus then maybe this is not the car for me?

Thanks

Pandjh
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Pandjh »

I would suggest you have a test drive to check this out for yourself, it maybe that it works well on certain voice types and accents and not for others.

I do have the j11b and for me its like a 2 Ronnies sketch trying to get it to understand me. In fact I'd go as far to say that after 20 attempts or more to go to an address it has worked only when i said "go home". The rest, nah, not even close.

Now, if you have Android Auto then that does seem to work significantly better at voice recognition BUT even then the AA software is far from perfect though due a major update in the summer.
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

I have a J11a and an iPhone.
Long press on the telephone button on the steering wheel and I can say "call Joe Bloggs" and it works seamlessly 99% of the time .
Equally, I can follow the same routine and say "send a message to Jane Smith" and then dictate a text message.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Hi Scott, firstly welcome to the Forum. Just as MikeGC has mentioned we also have a J11A 2014 Model QQ and have never had a problem with this “Voice Dialling System”. We have had iPhone “ 5’s” & now the “X’s” and using “Siri” it is great. The problem was mostly related to the New J11B which it looked like Nissan screwed up on because the newer later J11B’s do have it. I believe some members have had problems with the J11A but more individually car related.

If you look in “Search” there are more facts - Dave 😉
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
scottmcmullan8

Post by scottmcmullan8 »

First of all thank you all for the replies.

I will indeed test drive one :) i was set on the new steering wheel model and then i heard of the potential issue and now i am torn between the j11a and j11b or the alternative is a Kia Sportage (controversial) :D :D

I always listen to music in the car , my current ford focus titanium is actually fitted with a sony audio system which i find really good. What are your comments on the J11 sound system , have been looking at the n-connecta and tekna models?

Thanks again for all your help
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Scott, if you want the Fancy Steering Wheel then you have to go for a J11B model except that the earlier ones do not have the voice recognition. To us as we are not connoisseurs of music our J11A system meets our requirements but you could go for the new J11B Tekna / Tekna + models which have a Bose System - Dave 😃

Take a look at the websites regarding the Specifications then you will know what is around :
https://www-europe.nissan-cdn.net/conte ... qai_UK.pdf
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

My 19 plate J11B doesn't have it, the button is on the steering wheel, but I can't get it to work.

I just use Google Assistant on my mobile and that routes the call through the Connect system via Bluetooth.
19 plate 1.5dCi n-connecta in Magnetic Red
scottmcmullan8

Post by scottmcmullan8 »

I guess it comes down to affordability. Go for the j11a higher spec Or the j11b basic models , decisions decisions