Has anyone had a problem with signal blocker pouches not working?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
james_uk
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by james_uk »

Hi, I have a new 2019 QQ, i was a little worried from the start about the keyless entry and had asked the staff if it would be an issue, they of cause said no even though theres a lot about how easy it is to boost the signal. i asked a similar question on here about needing pouches recently but after buying a pair of pouches from amazon, that did actually seem to get good reviews.

Because of being a little worried about it, led me to testing it a lot when out and when in the car to make sure it seems to work, up to now it seemed to but tonight we went out shopping and when we got back to the car, the 1 key we had with us was in its pouch and the car was definitely locked as the wing mirrors were in.

i tried to open one of the rear doors with the key still in the pouch and the door opened which we said straight away hmm that’s a bit odd, we'll have to test that when we get home.

When we got home we tested by shutting the doors, pressing the button on the door handle to lock the car which is did lock, then tried pressing the button again to open the car with the key now in the pouch and the car door opened again.

We then opened the car and got in and kept the key in the pouch which i am led to believe that if the car doesn't think the key is physically in the car it shouldn't start? but the car did start fine.

Oddly enough after messing about for a bit it then seemed to start working right again and then the car wouldn't respond while we was in the car with it in the pouch.

So i am not a little worried about if the pouch i've got is just a bit of a dud or what? it certainly doesn't appear broken or worn, its brand new and all other reviews say its good and can't find any that say it doesn't work.

Any thoughts at all?

A guy from the place we got the car did say Nissan are using newer technology and shouldn't really need a pouch now but it still worried me.

Maybe it would be better to just order different ones and see.

James
Regards,

James

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

It would be a surprise that Nissan had done anything about this problem. If pressing the buttons opens and closes the doors then clearly Nissan hasn't changed anything. Your key radio signal is available to the world.

I've tested this system with my key in various small tin cans (old tobacco etc) and cannot get total blockage of the radio signal to operate the doors. I did finally find a very well sealed old biscuit tin in the end but its about 8 inches tall and 4 inches in diameter. The body is lap welded and the lid deeply inserts into the tin top.

That tells me that the sealing of any such can or pouch has to be continually 100% with no chance of slight openings anywhere in its structure (seams and so on). If not radio waves will leak into the atmosphere and the car is available for opening etc. You may think you are blocking with a pouch/most cans, but probably not in my view.

The key fob can open the doors from about 50 meters so shows exactly how powerful the key transmitter is. If they don't seal completely every time (failsafe) then its no good. I never bought a pouch as a result of my testing. Keys in blocker biscuit tin at eve/night though.

I spent a good deal of my earlier life trying to increase the power of transmitters...blocking them out is totally weird to me. Very difficult and requiring much expense to reliably achieve.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

It's probably worth repeating here as new members happen along all the time.
At home I store my keys in the microwave - itself a fine example of a Faraday Cage and therefore should be an exemplary signal blocker, although I have no way of testing that it actually works !!.

My spare lives in a signal blocking pouch (£5.99 for two - Amazon) which is in an old money box in the spare bedroom.
This is a link to the pouch ( ) which works perfectly when the pouch is closed and sealed (with Velcro) it fits my car key, house key and key ring comfortably
NOTE - this isn't a "You should buy" recommendation - it's just something which worked for me.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

There is a cheap way to test the pouches etc for radiation of the fob key... and anybody else in range. About a tenner or less and is a Software Defined Radio (SDR)

It covers all frequencies of interest...VHF FM/DAB/DTV and a number of amateur bands above that the key fobs operate within. In UK... thats 433.92 Mhz as in Europe

See here for band spec: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LPD433

I have that SDR and it'll show a response peak when the fob button is pressed...of which the car responds and the thieves repeat to the car.

As regards a Faraday cage (box/pouch) you could use the SDR and with the box opening pointed away from the SDR. Press the key button (inside the cage) and check for an SDR displayed response. Uni - Directional behaviour as opposed to radiated everywhere...Omni - Directional. If the pouch/box works the SDR won't show a response of course. Or with key in closed pouch fumble for the open/close button and press.

SDR Demo: (I'm not promoting Banggood)

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Qashpad

Post by Qashpad »

Mine works fine it it is placed in the rear pouch.
If it is in the front pouch it will still unlock the car.
Bought mine from Wilko. Very pleased

4D4C43A6-14BC-4903-B904-A8A73CE8296D.jpeg

A5DF22AA-7B44-449A-99BF-16AD94D94714.jpeg

2019 Tekna+ , white 160 hp 1.3 litre with DCT auto box
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Initially the pair I bought from Amazon were, I thought faulty;
however, I then realised I was putting fob in wrong (front) pouch. :x

There was no indication on pouch itself, or on any packing that must be rear one.
Simple if I'd looked closer and noticed foil lining. :roll:
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Defender...so u can find it?

71L1000_.jpg

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Rv8

Post by Rv8 »

We have just bought a new Qashqai which has the keyless entry.

Having never liked this I disabled it in the settings menu and now use the lock/unlock buttons, much more reassuring. Anticipating the new keys I did buy a couple of pouches from Amazon, but now don’t need to use them.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Could someone clarify please? Does the J11b work differently to the J11 in this respect?

My car was keyless (being a Tekna) but I still had to press the buttons on the front doors or tailgate to get it to unlock.

The OP says: "i tried to open one of the rear doors with the key still in the pouch and the door opened " - that wouldn't have happened with my J11

And Rv8 says: "Having never liked this I disabled it in the settings menu and now use the lock/unlock buttons, much more reassuring." - but to me that's describing how my J11 worked.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Gloucester

Mine is a March 2019 Tekna.
I have to press the button on the driver (or passenger) door to get inside, just like on my J11a.

I know nothing about the QQ having keyless entry.
The only way my rear doors would open would be if I’d unlocked them.
Is it possible that these are specific "upgrades" on the Tekna+ ?
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)