Battery (continued)

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
TerryH
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by TerryH »

I know from this forum that battery issues are common with the Qashqai, but I thought mine was immune. Wrong. My two-year-old 11.300-mile N Connecta wouldn't start today, so I rang Nissan Assistance. The RAC man was with me within the hour and instantly suspected the battery, He was right and replaced it most efficiently. I can't praise him enough. But I have to wonder why Nissan have fitted what clearly seems to be an inadequate battery to the Qq, I say inadquate because we know they frequently fail. Indeed, the RAC man told me he personally had replaced about 50 in Qashqais in the last couple of years. I now have a more powerful new battery, as I understand it, and at no cost to me. But if Nissan had fitted a "proper" battery in the first place...
Qq N-Connecta. DIG-T 163 1.6 Petrol. Vivid blue. Sept. 2017. Lancs., UK

Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

Same happened to my Qashqai’s battery last month. Qashqai under two years old at the time. Now have a higher specced battery fitted under warranty by the RAC.

Reading through various Facebook Groups, there are quite a few Qashqai’s under two years old with failing batteries.

One of the Facebook Groups also seems to highlight problems with the front collision radar system - this is still proving problematic. One person made this comment on their brand new Qashqai:
Mines a 69 plate qq tekna plus. Emergency braking disabled light comes on, always in rain. Get a forward camera/radar obscured warning. Same as you turn off and on ok for a while. Just been to garage, forward radar unit faulty, waiting for replacement,.
Not sure Nissan are learning from their past problems! :?
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

A thought:
If the likes of Fiamm are offering a 3 year warranty on their battery production I would hope that the vehicle manufacturer (Nissan) claims that under their sub contractor supply contracts? Certainly they would be digging back on all other component failures I would think.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Interestingly, I've just been reading the RAC's customer assistance report they gave me. The new RAC Varta battery he fitted to my Qashqai has a four-year warranty, which is almost twice as long as the factory-fitted one lasted. Mind you, the RAC man told me the new battery would have cost me £210, which is no doubt why Nissan don't fit them in the first place, even though it would arguably make economic sense for them to do so. I still like the car, by the way!
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Nissan batteries are much cheaper.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

TerryH wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:29 pm Interestingly, I've just been reading the RAC's customer assistance report they gave me. The new RAC Varta battery he fitted to my Qashqai has a four-year warranty, which is almost twice as long as the factory-fitted one lasted. Mind you, the RAC man told me the new battery would have cost me £210, which is no doubt why Nissan don't fit them in the first place, even though it would arguably make economic sense for them to do so. I still like the car, by the way!
Interesting really...what is the type/model of the Varta Batt the RAC fitted. I only ask because of the possible rip off arrangement that recovery attracts. And I think battery prices tend to vary wildly across the market. I'll check what Batt is in my sons AMG.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
TerryH

Post by TerryH »

New battery is RAC011 Varta. Cheaper online, of course, than the RAC man said. I've just checked. It looks physically bigger than the original battery, btw. The stop/start is working ok now, too. I hadn't realised but that was not working perfectly previously, thanks no doubt to poor battery performance, as mentioned in previous posts here.
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

Another battery problem reported on the Facebook group, this time with the new 1.3 engine :(
Sorry to ruin the (ahem) positivity, 2019 1.3 DCT battery goosed and replaced at 8 months, 3700 miles.
Apart from that, faultless and a great car.
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

TerryH wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:58 pm New battery is RAC011 Varta. Cheaper online, of course, than the RAC man said. I've just checked. It looks physically bigger than the original battery, btw. The stop/start is working ok now, too. I hadn't realised but that was not working perfectly previously, thanks no doubt to poor battery performance, as mentioned in previous posts here.
The RAC Shop shows this Varta Batt and others for your car...and mine:
https://www.racshop.co.uk/car-battery/nissan/qashqai/1.6-n-connecta/2017/petrol/manual/180716

VARTA BLUE BATTERY 096 74AH 680CCA L278 X W175 X H190 0/1 B13
EXIDE EK700 AGM 096 BATTERY TYPE 70AH
BOSCH S3 CAR BATTERY TYPE 096

I have that Bosch as a spare. The cheapest fitted Batt is the Bosch (£148) and then the Varta (£163) by a patrol man.

Nothing special about it other than the Start/Stop requirement, which means to me excessive engine cranking. So they won't last long!
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Had my first battery failure around three months ago. Failed to turn over and lots of clicking and flashing of all warning lights on the dashboard. Recovery attended and got me going. Worked fine since, though stop/start was more intermittent. Failed again about ten days ago. Recovery attended again. Got the car going again and gave it a good run to charge the battery. I decided to book in for a service and to have the battery replaced at the same time. The soonest I could get the service for, or the new battery is still another two weeks away. Battery failed one week after I booked for a replacement. Decided enough was enough and called out recovery again. Started the car and the recovery guy offered to follow me to Halfords to get the battery replaced. An EFB was £115 or the AGM was £157. Both carry a 5year guarantee. Opted for the AGM. Halfords wanted £25 to fit and reset the charging software. Recovery guy was still with me and he said to just pay for the battery and he would fit it for free. He did it in around 5 minutes. So, it’s a Halfords AGM 096 battery, with a 5 year guarantee, what’s not to like!
Ps I had a web chat with my local Nissan dealership to ask if they used EFB or AGM batteries for replacements and they declined to answer, suggesting I go in and speak to them in person. Why?