Starting help please

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
It's only me
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by It's only me »

I've got a 2016 1.5 diesel.

It had to go back to dealer as it was struggling get up banks and broke down as such on me. Start/stop works fine but it decided when I was at a junction to not restart

Engine just kept turning over wouldn't fire. Lights on dash go off and it just keeps turning over. I have to manually press the start button to stop it before it burns out the starter. Then I have to press start button to try restart it.

It can take 5 minutes to get it to fire up. Only way I can describe it is if it was a petrol I would think it was flooded as it just spins over.

Thanks
J11 2016 Tekna 1.5 Dci

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I've had that starter turnover no fire up on my 67 plate QQ in the last 10 months...twice. Thats a petrol engine. It could be quite a number of things and does not produce error flags (DTCs) when I have connected my ODB2 tester. i cannot be sure of course that my tester can reveal all DTCs related.

Its fuel, electrics, electronics, mechanical and software related which is choices too far. No smell of petrol over fuelling though.

The temptation is to goto to a Nissan dealer and get a diagnostic readout. I've forced BMW to do that in the past over the fuel control valve....for free.

Also remember that certain components in your engine system are lifed so are changed at particular miles/age. Sensors/Fuel control and so on. This may occur at service intervals and so your periodic service bill becomes higher than expected. BMW in my case tried to charge me £100 for diagnostics a day and did not consult the maintenance schedule (mileage/age) for lifed components (fuel control valve). I discovered that schedule on a huge BMW forum in the USA.

Your diesel is a worry if its shooting too much fuel into the exhaust and the DPF via cylinders. I'd say keep Stop/Start off until this matter is resolved and its difficult to do that due to the numb nuts at Nissan design.

Here's a prime example of extended multiple cranks... no start. This dutchman is an experienced and electrically technical man. Explanation is superb..the faulty component effect itself is at 15mins in. Not saying this is your problem...

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

sounds a little like tired glow plugs, if you are a member of a motoring organisation - call them out
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
stevei

Post by stevei »

I had a similar problem with a V70. It turned out to be the immobiliser not seeing the key. I had an antenna around the ignition switch. On the Volvo forum, they said that a common fault was the plug to the steering column. Unplug, WD40, plug back it. Never had the problem again.
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 N-Connecta DCT, Ink Blue, Heat Pack
It's only me

Post by It's only me »

calnorth wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:47 am I've had that starter turnover no fire up on my 67 plate QQ in the last 10 months...twice. Thats a petrol engine. It could be quite a number of things and does not produce error flags (DTCs) when I have connected my ODB2 tester. i cannot be sure of course that my tester can reveal all DTCs related.

Its fuel, electrics, electronics, mechanical and software related which is choices too far. No smell of petrol over fuelling though.

The temptation is to goto to a Nissan dealer and get a diagnostic readout. I've forced BMW to do that in the past over the fuel control valve....for free.

Also remember that certain components in your engine system are lifed so are changed at particular miles/age. Sensors/Fuel control and so on. This may occur at service intervals and so your periodic service bill becomes higher than expected. BMW in my case tried to charge me £100 for diagnostics a day and did not consult the maintenance schedule (mileage/age) for lifed components (fuel control valve). I discovered that schedule on a huge BMW forum in the USA.

Your diesel is a worry if its shooting too much fuel into the exhaust and the DPF via cylinders. I'd say keep Stop/Start off until this matter is resolved and its difficult to do that due to the numb nuts at Nissan design.

Here's a prime example of extended multiple cranks... no start. This dutchman is an experienced and electrically technical man. Explanation is superb..the faulty component effect itself is at 15mins in. Not saying this is your problem...

Thanks so.much for the advice its appreciated

I've rang dealer up today and they are getting it in for me to see if they can find anything.
J11 2016 Tekna 1.5 Dci
It's only me

Post by It's only me »

MikeGC wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:28 pm sounds a little like tired glow plugs, if you are a member of a motoring organisation - call them out
I though that but it does it so randomly. It also does when the car is upto temperature etc
J11 2016 Tekna 1.5 Dci
It's only me

Post by It's only me »

stevei wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:00 pm I had a similar problem with a V70. It turned out to be the immobiliser not seeing the key. I had an antenna around the ignition switch. On the Volvo forum, they said that a common fault was the plug to the steering column. Unplug, WD40, plug back it. Never had the problem again.

Thanks for the advice.

Mine is keyless and normally has a key symbol pop up on the dash when it doesn't recognise they key. I had a new battery fitted and that's been fine since but it it didn't turn over when the key battery went flat.

I hope the dealer can sort it cause I haven't a clue :lol:
J11 2016 Tekna 1.5 Dci
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

It's only me wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:47 pm
calnorth wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:47 am I've had that starter turnover no fire up on my 67 plate QQ in the last 10 months...twice. Thats a petrol engine. It could be quite a number of things and does not produce error flags (DTCs) when I have connected my ODB2 tester. i cannot be sure of course that my tester can reveal all DTCs related.

Thanks so.much for the advice its appreciated

I've rang dealer up today and they are getting it in for me to see if they can find anything.
Ok...Please let us know how you get on
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
It's only me

Post by It's only me »

Quick update.

It's going back in Nissan sometime next week
J11 2016 Tekna 1.5 Dci