Anyone else into detailing?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
ferris

Post by ferris »

During my long wait I discovered the lengths people go to keep that showroom sparkle and shine.So, having had my Qashqai a few weeks, yesterday I gave it its first proper wash and wax. It took about 3-4 hours! Read on, and you'll either think I'm mad or you'll want to try yourself (if you're not already into this yourself)Hosed down the wheels, gave them a spray with iron fallout remover (Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller) - the front ones reacted impressively well, dissolving iron deposits and running blood red. The rear ones were fairly clearRinsed off the wheels and then gave them a good clean with a brush and Meguiars APC - there were some stubborn tiny black spots which might have responded to a tar remover but I didn't have any. Had to use a bit of elbow grease to remove them.!Dried wheels with a microfibre towelApplied Collinite 845 sealant wax to the wheels and let it cure for 5 mins, then buffed it with microfibre - they came up looking perfect.Hosed down car, washed it using two-bucket method with a lambswool mitt and Meguiars gold shampooRinsed off shampoo and dried it with a microfibre towelI was going to clay it, but it felt pretty smooth already so I skipped itGot busy with the Collinite 845 wax again - waiting 5-10 minutes after applying to each panel before buffing it off with microfibreFinally, gave it a bit of a final sparkle spraying it with Meguiars Last Touch and giving it a final polish with microfibreIt looks amazing - pictures can't quite do it justice! Can recommend Collinite 845 anyway - it's easy to apply, looks super shiny and should last 6 months.(One thing that foxed me for 5 mins was you can't lift the wipers up when they are down - they'll scrape the bonnet. Turn on the ignition, and quickly do a double tap upwards on the wiper stalk. This will 'park' the wipers in a position you can lift them off the windscreen.)So a lot of effort, but the results were worth it.Is anyone else is putting crazy amounts of time into cleaning their cars? Got any tips to share?

dave

Post by dave »

Hi FerrisSame as you ,on a new vehicle i always go berserk ,i feel its a good preparation for the future.Our 8 year old RAV still comes up like new,people cant believe its 8 years old,just hope the QQ looks the same after 8 years,thats when its delivered of course.Dave
jamo
th0mps0n

Post by th0mps0n »

how much spent on the cosmetics then ? :)
1.6 dCi 2WD manual Tekna Bronze with Thermaclear, Illuminated sidebars, Chrome premium pack, Chrome mirror covers, Chrome door sill strips

Ordered 2nd May, delivered 20th Nov. :)
cliffgorse

Post by cliffgorse »

Hi Ferris good bit of advise on how to look after your investment, the more hard work put in in the first few weeks pays dividends for the future as Dave as said. . I normal spend a good week to wash and polish then wax everyday to build up the protection on the different surfaces topping up the widows every month with Rain x, going to experiment with a clay bar this time.A good site to checkout is http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/ lots of good stuff there. as far as how much to spend depends on the size of your pocket th0mps0n
1.6 dci CVT Tekna Nightshade Delivery picked up on the 17th
Swiftlar

Post by Swiftlar »

Great post ferris, some excellent advice.

Cliff, what will you be using on your new QQ, I have also gone for the nightshade but cannot decide what to buy to keep it in tip top condition!

Proud owner of a 1.2 dig-t tekna in nightshade..... It's superb! :-)
keithg2308

Post by keithg2308 »

I use turtle wax ice range polish including their hard wax, car wash and also the interior cleaner, the glass cleaner has a substitute similar to rain x and seems to work well.
keith
cliffgorse

Post by cliffgorse »

Hi Swiftiar I am going to strip the polish and wax off that the dealer has applied, still looking into whats the best for that, then clay bar the paint work i came across Autoglym life shine which i was able to get on ebay for about £12 this is the stuff that the dealer will charge you £200 to £300 to apply , how hard can it be . clay bar the windows and then two or three coats of rain X. For the wheels not sure yet. I did buy some salutation to apply to the plastic trim, but can't remember what its called, I am at my caravan in York at the moment going back home on Tue or Wed will let you know what its called then mate.
1.6 dci CVT Tekna Nightshade Delivery picked up on the 17th
korky

Post by korky »

Good to see not only me that goes crazy with car detailing and cleaning. Only additional I do is snow foam the car sometimes.

Really do need to give the parents QQ it's first proper wash soon...
Contigo

Post by Contigo »

My mate runs a detailing business and does all my cars.
Current Cars: QQ 1.5 DCi Tekna, Maserati 3200GT, Mini Cooper S

ferris

Post by ferris »

@thompson - I think I spent about £150 on equipment and consumables. All of it bought via Amazon or eBay, whichever was cheapest.So, more than bucket, a sponge and some turtlewax, but a lot less than paying a professional to do it regularly.