Radar deactivated

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
White_wolf
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by White_wolf »

Hi,

Got a 2019 QQ with only 472 miles on.

Twice now I've had the forward collision light come on and a warning that the forward Collison radar is deactivated.

My cruise control still worked and after getting to my destination and left the car off for half hour resettled everything back to normal.

A little puzzled..

Called Nissan where I bought the car from and they've booked it in to check if over.

Does anyone know the location of the radar sensor?

It was heavily raining on the last time this happened... if that effects anything?

Many thanks,

Michael

Qashpad

Post by Qashpad »

I have experienced this in heavy rain and the handbook does warn that it might happen in heavy rain, snow and fog.
A dealer told me this week that he thinks there will be a recall on some models for this radar issue.
The sensor is behind the Nissan badge in the front grille.
If you open the bonnet and look down inside you should see the wires coming out from behind it
2019 Tekna+ , white 160 hp 1.3 litre with DCT auto box
White_wolf

Post by White_wolf »

Ah brilliant.

That faults my previous idea that I found a large leaf in my grill.

I have wondered to call Nissan and maybe cancel the appointment but think I'll let it go on still... I suppose if we dont raise these faults then nothing will come of them.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I'll have a gander when it stops raining... if ever!
fbgqashqai
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by fbgqashqai »

Another thing that affects the radar on my Qashqai are the temporary steel or concrete barriers used on motorway road works. Not an issue where they are used for short distances but where they are in place for a couple of miles (M6 at present for smart motorway conversion) after a while the radar turns itself off. Once out of the roadworks the system resets quite quickly. Mine is a J11A so not sure if others with a J11b experience this.
fbgqashai 2017 J11a N Connecta 1.5DCi in Silver
Qashpad

Post by Qashpad »

I had this prob on previous model. The dealer found some masking tape on the sensor which I assume was from the factory. He wondered if that had become loose and was flapping intermittently in front of the sensor when it happened in the dry. After removal it then only happened in heavy rain.
Dealer charged me nothing so it might be worth still going in to chat.
2019 Tekna+ , white 160 hp 1.3 litre with DCT auto box
White_wolf

Post by White_wolf »

My partner suggested that I still go for it so I will do.

Shouldn't think there should be any expense to my end... isn't until the 19th so will report back what they find or not and go from there.

Coincidentally today I'm going out later and it's been pouring it down all night and still going now, local flooding in areas... potentially a good test if rain does effect it.
daddydoug
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by daddydoug »

Hi
My forward collision radar has occasionally deactivated in bad weather. I have experienced this a few times now, but always when driving in heavy rain. It usually resets itself after a while and all is okay. I also find that my blind spot warning indicators flash like crazy in heavy rain, and also the front camera, and front parking sensor warning go a bit crazy in heavy rain. I've got used to it now, and know when out and about in heavy rain the car may have a hissy fit!
Doug
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
White_wolf

Post by White_wolf »

Thanks Daddydoug.

So report from today's 40mile round trip...

It deactivated twice... on trip from home and on trip back to home..

Heavy rain in both situations today and on the last time before today.

So I'm guessing the radar has trouble figuring out what's what's and so switches off.

Dont feel so worried about it now.... but I'll still see what comes back from Nissan's check.

Thanks people

M
RRR

Post by RRR »

I was recently informed by Nissan that there was a re-call still to be performed for the radar of my 2019 QQ. During foggy weather the forward collision light came on twice and I had some sort of an 'emergency stop' once. I believe they installed new firmware and the problem looks like is has been resolved (I guess, since the light hasn't come on yet).
White_wolf

Post by White_wolf »

I've had a glance at the dvla website and nothing as yet for mine / 2019 model as you say....

Hopefully something good shall come of this and others.