Should I be afraid?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
knwatkins
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by knwatkins »

Hi all, I've just signed up to the forum because I'm currently looking for a used QQ around the 2015 - 2016 mark. One of our key requirements was an automatic gearbox but after reading a few threads on here, I am very worried! :shock:

I appreciate that many people come to forums when they have an issue and therefore there may falsely seem like there are a high number of issues with the CVT auto boxes on these cars.

I just want to ask, should really be worried about buying an auto QQ? Are there really that many reports of catastrophic failures compared the number sold?

Thanks in advance and I hope you are able to set me on the right path.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Welcome to the Forum ! As you have stated there does appear to be a lot of negatives on the Nissan CVT Gearboxes on the Forum which appear to be genuine and the problem in the USA was much bigger and hence a 10 year Guarantee was implemented there. If you have time please take a look at the attachment which should cover nearly all Forum comments on CVT’s - I hope this helps Dave 😉

https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=CVT+Gearbox+Problems
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

At this point what with all the green shouts (kill ICE vehicles quick)..... I'd say minimise the risk in terms of complexity and cost.

Transport life is beginning to get awkward. And I'd say such Auto boxes are likely ok for a couple of years and relates to warranty. Enough said.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
daddydoug
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by daddydoug »

Hi

I can only speak from personal experience, but have owned a Qq Tekna 1.6 with a cvt box since 2015. The car has now covered 35000 miles and I have never experienced any problems with the cvt gearbox (hope I've not tempted fate there!) I have had a few parts that have failed (battery, oxygen sensor, air intake sensor) replaced, but this was all when the car was under warranty, so at no cost to me. Still love the car to bits, with all the gadgets and as for the 360 cameras, you can't beat them. If you are looking at a car which is now 3 to 4 years old, I would certainly ask to view the service history, and if buying from a Nissan dealer, I would have thought they would have records of any work carried out on the car (ie bits that have failed). Good luck. Doug
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

A good friend bought a second hand 1.6DCI with the CVT auto box and over the two years he had it he never had any trouble with it )over about 15,000 miles)
Any car purchase comes with a risk - get a good warrantee !!
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
knwatkins

Post by knwatkins »

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. We are looking at a 2015 model on the weekend with 80k miles so that does increase the risk slightly I suppose. I will make sure to check the service history and it'll make me feel a lot better if I can see evidence of the CVT fluid having been changed at least once.

My wife only does about 4k miles a year so it's should be worth going for a high miler and getting a good cost saving. She does tend to keep her cars for a good few years so a few years down the line the car should be at average mileage.