Panoramic roof - Insurers not covering (UK)

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Never have used them Dave. Not in RAFG (Cologne/Lingen areas) either but sometimes a spade of course. The military tyres were v. chunky to say the least. The Land Rovers used to kind of buzz as they went along. My Beetle used to swing around a bit... :oops:

Down Bavaria way is something different though.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

AlreadyWonB4

Post by AlreadyWonB4 »

Calnorth,
The fact pano roof is glass sadly means nothing, otherwise other insurers wouldn't strictly put aside out of the glass category and consider it a body panel. But I still have to challenge my insurer on this matter why my policy isn't covered.

I've made aware by a Tesla 3 owner, has LV and has it covered. Not sure the extent of your policy compared to theirs since the Model 3 top is all glass all the way back to the rear from factory.

And again, if glass is glass like I also believe, this particular detail is paradoxically not so clear with other insurers.
69' QQ N-Connecta 1.3 @ 140 horse purr
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

AlreadyWonB4 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:11 pm Calnorth,
The fact pano roof is glass sadly means nothing, otherwise other insurers wouldn't strictly put aside out of the glass category and consider it a body panel. But I still have to challenge my insurer on this matter why my policy isn't covered.

I've made aware by a Tesla 3 owner, has LV and has it covered. Not sure the extent of your policy compared to theirs since the Model 3 top is all glass all the way back to the rear from factory.

And again, if glass is glass like I also believe, this particular detail is paradoxically not so clear with other insurers.
Yep challenge them. I will with LV but it'll still come down to claim day...shock. Weedy words till then. However, there is no specific Pano exception in my docs.

As far as I'm concerned its another windscreen type (laminated glass). Its built like a windscreen and for structural integrity. The robots drop them on with a squirt of glue from what I see of Youtube manufacturing vids. Getting them off...dunno? Could speak to Autoglass here I think.

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

The plot:

Tried to speak to AutoGlass UK...no phone No. So spoke to local private company who has changed one or two.

1 Depends on the Insurance Co alright and selectable services required at policy buy time. So on some you do have to specifically select the Pano and other things of course. The likes of Norwich Union is all in (default) it appears. Churchill...watch out

2. This local company requires the Pano to be supplied by the Customer and for the Customer to then claim on his/her Insurance...good luck with that.

3. Job needs to be done at a body shop. Not a very easy windscreen in/out as per AutoGlass on the drive.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

When I bought my Qashqai and was arranging the insurance I was advised that not only was my panoramic roof not covered by the "glass" section but neither were any of the other windows. It was "windscreen" cover and only covered that!

I assumed that was normal nowadays - must check my present insurance (not that I have a roof window nowadays.

EDIT - windows included with Hastings but not roof windows:

Glass damage

What’s covered

If you have comprehensive cover your Insurer will pay to replace or repair broken glass in
the windscreen or windows of your Car and repair any scratching to the bodywork caused by
the broken glass.

Making a claim under this section won’t affect your no claims discount, as long as you’re not
also claiming for any other loss or damage to your Car.

Your Insurer’s Nominated Repairer may use parts or Accessories that aren’t made or supplied
by your Car’s manufacturer but are of an equivalent type and quality to those being replaced.

What’s not covered under section 8:

• Any other glass forming part of your Car including sunroofs, panoramic roofs or
panoramic sunroofs, where the roof glass is a separate unit to the windscreen glass
• Any windscreens or windows not made of glass
• Replacement of the hood/roof structure of a convertible or cabriolet Car
• A repair or replacement cost that’s more than the Market Value of your Car at the time of
loss (less any Excess).

Additional charges or limited cover may apply if you don’t use your Insurer’s Nominated
Repairer.

You have to pay an Excess for windscreen, windows and glass repairs or replacement – see
your schedule and Certificate of Motor Insurance for more details.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

You do have to read policies very thoroughly!

I'm looking at the AA cover I had on the Qashqai in 2017 and initially it all seems covered:

SUBSECTION 4

Glass damage

The Insurer will pay for the repair or replacement of glass in the windscreen, sunroof or window(s) of the Insured
Car and the scratching of its bodywork caused solely by this damage. The replacement glass may not be made by the
vehicle’s manufacturer but will be of an equivalent standard.

If this is the only damage claimed for, Your No Claims Discount will not be affected and is subject to You having to pay
the applicable windscreen Excess as shown on Your endorsement sheet.

Note "sunroof" - however in a different section it states:

(r) Under Subsection 4 the Insurer will not pay to repair or replace glass that forms part of a panoramic roof.
The repair or replacement of glass that forms part of a panoramic roof is covered under Subsection 1.

The lawyers could have fun there...
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)