Oil Issue

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
AndyUK
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by AndyUK »

Hi guys, I’m having a bit of an issue with the oil and, it’s probably me lacking a bit of knowledge on this, I could do with some pointers!

I have a 2016 Qashqai (2wd, petrol), I took a reading of the oil yesterday and noticed it was below the low marker on the stick. I then read in the manual you should take the reading after the engine has warmed up a bit, so after driving for 20-30 mins this morning, gave it 15 mins for oil to settle, I tried to take another reading. Only this time I really struggled to see any oil on the marker - oil is on the stick but I can’t get a reading that I can make out.

So anyway, I’m looking at getting some more oil and have checked the service invoice (it went to a garage that used genuine Nissan parts) and the engine oil product code is ‘NKE90099943GB’, a quick google and this comes up as Nissan oil for diesel engines (5W30). I believe the Nissan recommended oil for my car is 5W40 A3/B4. Would this have a detrimental effect? The service was done in April and I’ve not had any problems during that time.

When the service was done the oil filter was also replaced, so I’m guessing that they did a complete drain and refill of the oil. Am I better to get the same oil again, despite being listed as for diesel engines or should I top it up with the recommended oil instead?

I’m doing a big 300 mile trip in a couple of days so need to get it topped up before then ideally. Unfortunately the garage the service was done at doesn’t open until 6th January, so I can’t check it with them - though I have no reason to doubt the paperwork.

Appreciate any advice!

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Shell supplies Renault/Nissan and 5W30 is correct. I just checked my service docs from last week and its a different Part No to yours yet still includes (For Diesel). Mines a petrol QQ also. Go to this link and insert your Reg No...look for Find the Right Oil under Advice and Tips.

https://www.shell.com/motorist/oils-lubricants/helix-for-cars/helix-fully-synthetic/shell-helix-ultra-professional-ar-l-5w-30.html

Its common to check oil level when cold or warm. Warm will be difficult because the oil has been thrown about the sump.

All you need for a top up is Fully Synthetic Oil of grade 5W30 grade....any make really. If you had to do it at a Motorway fuel stop it would be any make there...No Nissan specials!
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Andy, after reading your comment on your Oil Level if it is a 1,2L I would be concerned for the Engine, this has been a major issue with this engine so I would suggest you take a read of this attachment as your problem could be serious. We have always used 5W40 Oil from our Nissan Dealer on our 4 Nissan’s all Petrol - Dave 🤨

1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss : https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2780&start=690

Regarding the Oil take a look at this post :
Which engine oil : https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9013
There are several posts on this if you use “Search”.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

"... the service was done in April ..." but when did you last check the oil level? And how many miles since then?

There shouldn't be a problem between 5W30 and 5W40. And I'd expect a full oil and filter change at every service.

Capture.jpg

(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
AndyUK

Post by AndyUK »

calnorth wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:16 pm Shell supplies Renault/Nissan and 5W30 is correct. I just checked my service docs from last week and its a different Part No to yours yet still includes (For Diesel). Mines a petrol QQ also. Go to this link and insert your Reg No...look for Find the Right Oil under Advice and Tips.
Thanks, I just tried it and it recommends Helix Ultra 5W-40, so it recommends a slightly thicker oil than was used. If I was to top it up with some of this, and the existing oil was 5W-30, would there be any detrimental effect?
DaveBerlin wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:12 pm Andy, after reading your comment on your Oil Level if it is a 1,2L I would be concerned for the Engine, this has been a major issue with this engine so I would suggest you take a read of this attachment as your problem could be serious. We have always used 5W40 Oil from our Nissan Dealer on our 4 Nissan’s all Petrol - Dave
Thanks, it is indeed a 1.2 DIG-T engine. I'm hoping to go back to the Nissan dealership tomorrow to see if they can offer any help. As I said earlier I probably mucked up the reading of the oil, so I'll have to check it again.
gloucester wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:20 pm "... the service was done in April ..." but when did you last check the oil level? And how many miles since then?
I've checked the oil occasionally, but probably not as frequently as I should. It was checked around June/July and I'm sure the level was fine then. It's possible done around 4000-5000 miles since the service.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Andy, as I mentioned all our Nissan’s have run on the 5W40 with no ill effects. After the “Oil Problem” arose most members started checking more frequently even me and I even bought some oil as a Spares backup. Get it checked by your Dealer but take the Facts with you so you are not “Fobbed Off” by them as this was and could well be a Major Guarantee Problem - Dave 🤨
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
AndyUK

Post by AndyUK »

Indeed, thanks for the advice!
Gel

Post by Gel »

Andy, you need to update your forum signature so members can see exactly what model you drive, to better respond to queries.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Gel

Post by Gel »

Andy, you need to update your forum signature so members can see exactly what model you drive, to better respond to queries.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
AndyUK

Post by AndyUK »

I probably will do that. I did add it to the side info (under the username) but I don’t think that shows on the mobile version of this site.