Petrol or diesel?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
TrevorSussex
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by TrevorSussex »

Hi all
We're looking to buy a Qashqai, our first Nissan. 2015 model onwards.We would preferably like an automatic , though not essential.What are the opinions on best engines, petrol or diesel?
Thanks for your time.

kaylan731
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by kaylan731 »

Hi TrevorSussex, I had the same dilemma having researched many models and variations.
The government are trying to turn drivers away from diesel engines due to the apparent pollution it creates, but the newer greener diesel engines appear to counter that argument.
You certainly get better MPG with diesel. This of course is not relevant if you are only doing low local mileage every week.
It is said that petrol engines are more responsive and accelerate quicker, not that I am bothered about that. My boy racer days are long gone
I went with a diesel again and have been happy so far.
Nissan Qashqai Tekna Ink Blue 2018
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I might be wrong but I think the only automatic petrol car you can get is the 1.2 turbo model.
I had a Juke 1.2 auto as a hire car once, it was horrible - that might have been that individual car, granted.
A good friend had the 1.6 diesel automatic QQ and it was a smashing car.

I would suggest tracking a few down and getting the dealer to give you a decent test drive.

Lots of threads on here about the 1.2 engine and about the CVT gearbox.
Get a fresh cuppa and read through.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Trevor, I think you will find that from 2013 the 1,6 dCi had the X-Tronic Autobox as well as the 1,2L Petrol from 2014. I have driven the CVT many times (QQ / Juke) and have always been satisfied with it. Now we have the new DCT and this is a dream but obviously more expensive. As suggested by Mike take several test drives and read the posts on the Forum regarding the CVT problems, but do not forget the Negatives will be here as the positives keep quite, that’s life - Dave 😉
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
tophat57

Post by tophat57 »

I have a 67 plate 1.6 diesel cvt. Its great. Had no problems at all with the car, apart from a couple of battery issues. As for the newer engines /drive trains, i do not like them. Had a 69 plate 1.5 diesel with the dct gearbox for a week in November as a hire while mine was in for some work on the seat (my fault not the car), and it was crap by comparison. IMHO the gears are far too short on it, it was constantly changing and revving its guts out all the time. I'm no boy racer either, but honestly, it gives me serious thought for concern when i hve to change again towards the end of the year. I'm already lokking at other options from Seat / VW / Pug etc.. It's that bad in my opinion. Such a shame, because i love my car, just wish i could keep it.
Facelift J11b N-connecta 1.6 x-tonic in vivid blue. And a dual accelerator for my dodgy foot..........
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum

I have loads of brochures if you need one.

Capture.jpg

(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
dodgydino62

Post by dodgydino62 »

Personally I think it's down to your mileage, I've just swapped my 61 plate 1.5L diesel ntec for a 1.3L tekna petrol.
The reason is obviously my car was getting old but the main reason I started to have a few issues with the diesel which I put down to not using it enough.
When I originally brought the diesel I was traveling to and from work about 35 miles a day, then I moved house closer to work and was travelling 15 miles a day....
I started getting issues with carbon build up in the exhaust sensor pipe ( I think) so decided to get rid before I got more issues and brought a petrol.
Overall my original qashqai was a brilliant car and I had it for 6 and half years but with not putting in the miles i think this was causing me issues.....
So for me if you put the miles in then diesels arent an issue but if you're only town running then its gotta be petrol.
Previously a 61 plate diesel ntec now a 68 plate 1.3 petrol tekna.
Hackney

Post by Hackney »

Petrol all the way.Nissan stopped bringing in the diesel to Australia.The take up rate wasn’t very good.Also the on,y manual now is on the “ST” variant(Acenta in the UK?)We have the 2litre as the only engine in the entire range.
Living the dream!
Suziwong66

Post by Suziwong66 »

What kind of mpg are you getting from the 1.3 petrol auto ?