Have I made the right decision ?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Mostyn
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Mostyn »

Hi everyone,
Just reading through the posts on QQ, forum (it's a great forum BTW) and I'm beginning to wonder if I've made the right choice in Buying a 1.5 Diesel Qashqai ? Wow, the problems experienced by some of the forum members, worries me; and I've not collected the car yet. DPF - Electronics - Timing belt (on the model I've bought) 1.5, diesel . 2018, cost me £15,500 .00 have I made the right choice? as I only do about 3000 to 4000, miles a year and normally keep my cars for many years. At the moment I have everything crossed (fingers toes legs and my mind) that I don't experience some of the problems posted about the Qashqai 1.5,,,,, diesel on here. I was looking forward to collecting the car on Friday, as I've already paid for the vehicle. Should I be concerned about anything? it's done 15000, miles and 18, months old, N-Connecta. hoping for some reassurance.
Thanks
M

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

The main "problem" with Forums id that you tend to only hear the negative stories.
e.g. the 1.2 petrol engine - hundreds of posts (on Juke and QQ forums) with complaints but I know some have had these cars with absolutely no problems.

I have heard very few problems with the latest 1.5 dci cars, the main one being the AdBlue system.

I had the 1.5 dci engine in a 2014 Juke and 2017 QQ - completely trouble free and very frugal.
If I remember correctly the J11 1.5dci cars have fewer problems with DPF because the filter is much nearer the engine and so almost always very hot. With my Juke, I also did limited mileage and tried to incorporate a 20 minute run at approx. 2500rpm once per month (advice from a Juke forum).

In my humble opinion cars have become so complex that niggles are almost to be expected.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Mostyn

Post by Mostyn »

Ah, thank you Mike, your reply makes a lot of sense; I just worry unduly; must be my age.
Appreciate your reply.
Regards
M

PS, what is the Ad-Blue ?
Thanks
M
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Mostyn, what Mike has stated is correct regarding Negative comments, we had the 1,2L engined QQ and never had a problem in 5 years. Now regarding Ad Blue do not take this comment the wrong way but I think you should have possibly asked more questions on the QQ Specs. Here is an attachment from the VDA Germany which might help you or just use “Search” for more information and basically it is a Diesel Additive. Just pick up your new QQ and try to look on the positive side and enjoy it 😁 Hope this helps Dave 😉

AdBlue® BRAND LIST AND LICENSEES LIST - VDA : In order to achieve a worldwide coverage of the product urea AUS 32 the VDA has registered the trademark "AdBlue" in all relevant car markets. By using the SCR-technology the automotive industry can contribute worldwide to further reductions of emissions.
https://www.vda.de/en/topics/innovation-and-technology/ad-blue/AdBlue-brand-list-and-licensees-list.html
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

The negative mouthy grandstanding came from governments/admins (UK/EU) at my buy time last year. So I remained at Petrol and of course thats under some threat. I hire a big diesel for great distances, London/Brum to Scotland stuff....enjoyed.

Periodically manufacturing looses control of reliability/quality systems which leaves me to wonder whether engineering had forgotten how things work. Iv'e had it with Mazda. On the Quality Systems stage they had no excuses...they played the don't care card.

The electronics systems weakness is with the Entertainment boxes mainly and lacks investment (support/care) I'd say. Whereas Engine Management/Networks are well established by real time engineers. The standards related are far higher of course
Last edited by calnorth on Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Mostyn wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:20 am
PS, what is the Ad-Blue ?
Thanks
M
I think that the AdBlue system is the current weak point for Nissan diesels, if you haven't got it, don't worry.... ;)

AdBlue - https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/152834/what-is-adblue
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

This is a Nissan dealer on the subject...AdBlue:

https://www.wrdavies.co.uk/nissan/motability/adblue-technology/
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
dafman

Post by dafman »

Hi Mostyn, I ran a 1.5 dci for 3 years and my advice is use premium diesel ( shell v power/bp ultimate) more expensive but better mpg and pickup better. On a run to Newcastle (206 miles) at between 65 and 70mph I manages 65mpg. I like you did low mileage approx 7000 per year, just give it a blast every couple of weeks and let it idle for a couple of minutes after to let turbo cool.

Hope this helps regards Bill
2014 QQ J11 pearl black 1.5dci accenta premium
2018 QQ J11B magnetic red 1.2dig-t n connecta
Mostyn

Post by Mostyn »

Thanks Guys, Dave, Mike - Calnorth and Dafman. feel a bit more optimistic after reading your replies.
Most appreciated.
M
parky74

Post by parky74 »

Hi Mostyn. I must admit that like you I was also a little panicked about my rush decision to purchase my 2019 Qashqai N-connecta over the weekend. Having driven for the past 3 days I am more than happy with it as it is one od the easiest and most comfortable cars I've ever had. I'm also easily getting 60-70 mpg on my journey to and from work which is a mixture of motorway and A/B roads from the 1.5TDCi engine. My only niggle is getting the Nissan-Connect app registered which I think may have been sorted today anyway.
Lee.