Issue with 66 plate 1.2 DIG-T QASHQAI

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
haveyounome
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by haveyounome »

Hi everyone!!

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post... wasn't quite sure where to go (as I'm not sure what the issue is).

Was wondering if someone could assist at all. I bought my 66 plate 1.2DIG-T qashqai from a private dealer a few weeks ago and have noticed a rattle/vibration sound only when accelerating from low revs (the car is an automatic). It feels like the sound is coming from somewhere under the bonnet. I was wondering what could be the cause of this and how I would go about fixing it (slightly concerned given the known engine issues with this model i've seen - although it could equally be something just flapping around).

Also the steering wheel makes an almost electronic whirring sound when turning (generally when full lock & cold) - is this normal?

Apologies if that sounds stupid - not great with cars and would rather get any issues identified soon whilst I have a leg to stand on warranty wise - read some horror stories about people having to fork out 8k for new engines!

Thanks in advance for anyone kind enough to reply.

Cheers,
Alex

gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

Not sure about the noise - could be a number of things.

I had a bush replaced on the steering column owing to noise at times you suggest.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Alex, welcome ! Please try entering for example “Rattles under Bonnet” in the “Search” Area and you will find lots of posts that need reading covering this subject. Regarding the Steering the attached is what I had done to ours, you can also read the attached post. It’s a lot of reading but you should get some facts from them and the weekend is almost here - Dave 😉

EE8948D4-925E-4CAC-A73F-1A8549BA92EE.jpeg

steering squeak when its cold - Nissan QashQai Forums : https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3436
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
haveyounome

Post by haveyounome »

Thanks for the replies guys. Really appreciate the help. What would you do in the below circumstances?

Car is 66 reg, registered December 2016. The car has a full Nissan service history, last serviced December 2018 (ex-motorbility). The car also came with an oil service at a private garage, but seems to be still due a Nissan service since December 2019 (if you service yearly). The private dealer I bought it from approx 3 weeks ago said they have a 3 month warranty for mechanical, electrical issues etc. Fast forward to today where I am getting the vibration etc. mentioned above.

Would you book it in for a full service at Nissan and mention the issues? Contact the dealer I bought it from? Am I covered by Nissan warranty? I want to make sure that I am covered by Nissan if it was a big problem (ie. engine) / covered by the car garage warranty also. Should I put it through an MOT?

Basically what I am trying to avoid is having a car with a hefty repair bill without any warranty to pay for it.... so any advice as to what steps you would take I would be grateful for...

Cheers,
Alex
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Looks like the car is out of warranty Alex. I'd ask a Nissan dealer anyway and what they thought was wrong....if at all?

Steering whirring noises on full lock in my experience were due to the power assisted steering (hydraulic) pump. The steering reaches its end stop and the pump is pumping against back pressure. Pushing against a system that cannot move. This was not an MOT failure although the recommendation was not to stay on full lock...if I remember right? Not checked it on my QQ though and modern cars may have designed that out...never thought to check.

Noises and vibration needs an inspection.

Colin
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta