Long-term parking

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Konanastass
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Konanastass »

Hi everyone,

I own a 2016 Connecta Qashqai and I'd like to raise a battery issue.

Last Christmas I went on long-term holidays and had the car parked in my driveway, while the family and I took a taxi to the airport. The car sat still for 30 days and, to no surprise, it was completely dead when I came back, the alarm wouldn't even work and had to open the door manually. Long story short, I called Nissan's RAC and the guy came the next morning, checked the battery (it was flat and useless) and suggested a prompt replacement with a FIAMM one, which I did (not many options at that point and I had to get to work asap).

So far it's working fine. However, we're planning to have long-term holidays again in the summer and I'll probably have the same issue. The question is what will be the best way to handle the fact that the car will stay still for about a month again:

- Get a taxi / rent another car and drive to airport, leave the car keys with neighbour so he can at least start the car every few days and hopefully keep the battery somewhat alive. We know the neighbours on a proper level, not hanging out properly, but they're decent folks and we have helped each other in the past with minor issues.
- Drive the car to the airport and leave it in a long-term parking lot. Those guys are responsible for bringing the car to you when you return, so probably they'll have to jump start it (assuming the battery is gone flat again). I'll then drive the car all the way back home and hopefully the battery will be still ticking after that.

I know it's not an ideal scenario but what would you suggest would work better?

Also, even if everything falls apart and I have to call RAC again to replace the battery, will they do it under warranty? Or is long-term parking frowned upon and they'll force me to get a new one again?

Any thoughts will be much appreciated!

Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Not knowing anything about batteries (so far) and what's all involved (warranties etc), I'd suggest leaving it so your neighbours can help you out.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're greeted at the airport by a transit van and taken back to the secure car park and advised to sort it yourself. There's a risk if the new battery goes completely flat, that it wouldn't be possible to jump start your car.

Just stating what I would do in your situation!
2016 - N-Connecta 1.5 DCI. Black. Diamond cut alloys. Panoramic roof.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Just wondering how many QQ Owners have the Battery Problem, as normal you will hear about this problem more on Forums.
But nevertheless it is known that there was and still is a Nissan Battery Problem with Fiamm Batteries and I would try to get mine changed somehow under Guarantee or as in the UK through the RAC it seems.
We have just got rid of our 5 year old QQ and for those 5 years we left it at home for 2 months each year, although the neighbour had the Key he never started it, but it was never flat. I think it was after 2 years we did get a New Fiamm though from our Dealer for Electronic Problems.
The new J11B has a Varta Battery and this seems to do the job as even the “Stop Start” functions all of the time.
Finally to save any stress it would be my advice to leave your QQ with your neighbour then at least it is in safe hands, you have peace of mind and it Is at “Home” and not stuck somewhere else - Best of Luck Dave 👍
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

They no longer replace fiamm batteries with FIAMM batteries they change them to exide batteries.

I'd just get rid and get yourself a VARTA AGM.

Not sure if you already know but there is a transport/storage fuse behind the glovebox on the qashqai, just pull that out when you go away and push it back in when you get home, it stops things like radio, interior lights, central locking and many more things but it's designed for storage. I'm sure if you look in your handbook it will tell you about this
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

In January 2019 I went to New Zealand for 30 days.
My 2017 1.5dci started on the first press of the start button.
I don’t think the problem is as widespread as it appears.
People affected, quite rightly, look for assistance and it’s rare to see "my battery is fine" because no one wants to appear to being a “knob"
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

Have you checked the cost of long term parking - I've just tried for Birmingham and the cheapest option is over £200 for 28 days.

I wouldn't want a parking company fiddling with the car.

EDIT - surprisingly much cheaper at Heathrow - only £127.70 for 30 days. £143.99 at Bristol.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

gloucester wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:42 pm Welcome to this forum.

Have you checked the cost of long term parking - I've just tried for Birmingham and the cheapest option is over £200 for 28 days.

I wouldn't want a parking company fiddling with the car.

EDIT - surprisingly much cheaper at Heathrow - only £127.70 for 30 days. £143.99 at Bristol.
very luckily I live a £10 taxi ride from Manchester Airport.
Happy to put up with the "awkward" security/check-in kerfuffle
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Baldyian
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Baldyian »

lewisbryant wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:18 am They no longer replace fiamm batteries with FIAMM batteries they change them to exide batteries.

I'd just get rid and get yourself a VARTA AGM.

Not sure if you already know but there is a transport/storage fuse behind the glovebox on the qashqai, just pull that out when you go away and push it back in when you get home, it stops things like radio, interior lights, central locking and many more things but it's designed for storage. I'm sure if you look in your handbook it will tell you about this
Hi Lewis :)

I"m on my second battery in 18 months and unfortunately they"ve replaced the Cr#p FIAMM battery with another Cr#p FIAMM battery :o

When i questioned the logic of fitting a battery that has well documented issues of failure i was told "don"t worry while you have Warranty it"ll be replaced"..... if, or more likely when it fails again.

I was also told that if i"d purchased a new battery they would have fitted a different make and i"d receive a 3 year warranty with it rather than 1 year if i don"t renew my warranty/Service contract in July.

I"m led to believe "Off the record" :D that Nissan garages have lots of these faulty FIAMM batteries in UK stock (written off by FIAMM) and unless forced otherwise (ie the customer pays) they will still fit them to Nissan vehicles....I can only confirm this is my case :roll:

Regards Ian