Are Qashqais really this unreliable??

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

I think I can say my Qashqai was the most unreliable car I've had recently and if I hadn't sold it (owing to concerns about what might happen to the engine) I'd have HAD to have had an extended warranty for piece of mind.

The car previous to it was a reliable Fabia vRS bought at three years old - which leaked like a sieve but only needed regular maintenance otherwise. The car previous to that was another Fabia vRS bought new and kept for six years which had three trips for front steering/ suspension woes out of warranty totalling nearly £1000 - hence it was replaced at 64k miles.

My present car is, conversely, the most reliable car I've ever had. No problems in nearly two years ownership. Doesn't even seem to even need the tyres pumping up much. Doesn't use any oil.

Returning to the initial posting - what engine/gearbox combo are you considering?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)

Ray H
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Ray H »

I was all ready to purchase a qq but all the bad press has put me off to be honest love the look of the nissan but Kia sportage seems a better build quality option but looks a bit cumbersome and not as streamlined as the qq not sure which to be honest.but feel if I buy a qq I should almost expect trouble.having said that there are loads of old qq about so things can't be that bad.
fbgqashqai
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by fbgqashqai »

I'm approaching my 3 year point with a from new 1.5DCi N Connecta and love the car. It has been totally reliable and returns 60+ MPG all the time. Bearing in mind the second version of the Qashqai came out in 2014, perhaps early examples are best avoided if you can afford a newer vehicle, that's not to say all 2014 cars are bad! LIkewise there do seem to be lots of reports about 1.2 petrol vehicles with engine issues and you should perhaps read threads on these if you want one. I can honestly say I wouldn't have a problem buying another although a friend of mine has a brand new J11b 1.5 DCi and it has spent more time off the road than on, since he bought it late last year. You pays your money and takes your choice. Best of luck.
fbgqashai 2017 J11a N Connecta 1.5DCi in Silver
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I think forums like this are great, and this one makes my top 2.
However, they do tend to concentrate on the more negative "stuff".
e.g. the early problems with the 1.2 engine, the CVT gearbox, etc.

My two QQ have been the most reliable cars I have ever owned, certainly better than both the RAV4 I owned.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I'm sure the most common faults on this site are:

Diesel Engines - mainly exhaust gas/EGR and related rubber pipe blockage. Odd injector/O2 sensor problems. So largely emissions at an age.
Petrol Engines...not many problems I can recall as very significant really. Correction...1.2ltr Oil loss problem
Added - CVT auto gearbox. Also other manufacturers
In Car Entertainment (ICE). All needing latest software update....for Free! Probably hit the headlines but is not drive train etc.
User finger trouble..not reading handbook. And me!
Electrical problems which are largely age related I suspect. Also damned FIAMM battery failures galore....usually Free exchange.

Where drive train issues occur early in life...its a QA issue right back to components/assembly. You'd expect a 3 year warranty to deal with that. The measure of a manufacturer is truly in rapid and sympathetic response. Dealers...forget a load of them. Out of warranty you are largely on your own...of course.

Some very old car problems arise...around 10 years old. What happens to them thru life...well?

I'd never buy a Diesel car simply because of emissions regs over the years. Seems a constant hassle.
Last edited by calnorth on Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Colin, Sorry but I have to comment on your statement regarding Petrol Engines, as this Post below was most likely the biggest post (June 15 > Feb 20) ever regarding Oil Loss & Destroyed 1,2 L Engines - Dave 😏

Colin Comment : “Petrol Engines...not many problems I can recall as very significant really.”

Oil Loss Post : viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2780&p=29239&hilit=Oil+loss#p29234
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

DaveBerlin wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:55 pm Colin, Sorry but I have to comment on your statement regarding Petrol Engines, as this Post below was most likely the biggest post (June 15 > Feb 20) ever regarding Oil Loss & Destroyed 1,2 L Engines - Dave 😏

Colin Comment : “Petrol Engines...not many problems I can recall as very significant really.”

Oil Loss Post : viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2780&p=29239&hilit=Oil+loss#p29234
Am having trouble with the site editor...difficult to respond right now. My post is deleting completely on text insert...weird?

Am guilty Dave and the CVT auto gearbox issue.... :oops:

As regards the 1.2 ltr engine it appears QA missed that from design right through to production...particularly engine life test. What the hell were they doing in the test phase or did little fingers get into production after that?

However, the QQ range has been very successful besides those major issues.

Mazda put me off buying a new car with their cr*p manual gearboxes in 1986. Input shaft bearing wear out at approx 15k miles and the slackest support by Mazda UK you could ever imagine. This is simple stuff. Mazda Hiroshima was sympathetic and directed me to the numb nuts at Mazda UK.... :roll: I did not take up their offer of a 2nd hand gearbox...politely, well sort of.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Colin, Guilty but no Sentence ! & I forgot to mention the CVT - Dave 😁😉
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken