Horn coming on stuck when Qashqai is locked and secure

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
goddard1992
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by goddard1992 »

Good evening all,

We have a 2019 Qashqai. Strangely twice now whilst the vehicle has been turned off, locked and secured the horn has suddenly come on and wouldn't turn off. The horn sounds constantly until I go out of the house and open the car and press the horn.

You can imagine this is incredibly embarrassing as everyone starts looking out of their windows as its deafening. I am intending to take it into Nissan ASAP, but has anyone else had this problem?

Both times it has happened at night.

All the best
Steve.

lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

That's an odd one, sounds like something behind the airbag is allowing the horn signal wire to connect with a ground enough to set the horn off. And when you push it in you break that connection. The airbag would require removing and a visual inspection if I was presented with this problem.

At first I thought you were mistaking the horn for the intelligent key alarm/buzzer going off constantly when locked which is an indication of the bonnet switch not being pushed in fully usually because its misaligned or loose but once I read you had to actually push the horn to get it to stop indicates the issue is behind the horn/airbag itself.

Hope this helps
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

A thought:

Would it be helpful to pull the horn fuse at night? That'll knock off the alarm scream of course.

The J11 diagram for the Horn I have shows a simple Horn circuit...no electronics. Its controlled by a 15 Amp fuse directly to the Battery. I suspect that fuse to be in the engine compartment and should be labelled Horn. Is not behind the glove box on my 2017 QQ.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
goddard1992

Post by goddard1992 »

Thanks for the replies thus far. Yes it was hard to convey without reading it as the intelligent buzzer. However it literally is the equivalent of somebody sat in the car holding the horn down for as long as it takes for me to go out, unlock the car and press the horn once.

When it's diagnosed I will post an update.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

goddard1992 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:29 am Thanks for the replies thus far. Yes it was hard to convey without reading it as the intelligent buzzer. However it literally is the equivalent of somebody sat in the car holding the horn down for as long as it takes for me to go out, unlock the car and press the horn once.

When it's diagnosed I will post an update.
The Horn diagram is likely as attached. Mine actually has two horns...one near radiator (driver side) and the other buried somewhere.....yet to find.

AFTER EDIT The 2nd Horn is low down on the driver side adjacent to the radiator (engine side)..obscured by a front chassis spar and very hard to get at. Wire is not observable...awkward :roll:

Screenshot from 2020-04-10 11-07-55.png

Last edited by calnorth on Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Henny

Post by Henny »

Hi I had the same problem on Wednesday the hottest day this year. The horn was sounding continuously for over 2 hours in work car park - the only reason i knew is somone had left a nasty note on my windscreen saying i was disturbing his peace & quiet and he keyed a big scratch on my door!!!!! Dont know why it happend but my horn wont work now! Garage said it wont be the heat but didnt realise the horn didnt work at all when i spoke to them - have you found out why it happened yet?
Vishalshah0281

Post by Vishalshah0281 »

I am having the same issue with my Qashqai horn, going off when the car is locked. This has happened a couple of times over the past week and was wondering if anyone has had this issue fixed? Thanks.