Air Con Issue

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Bobit
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Bobit »

Bought a 16 Plate Quashqai 1.2 Petrol last winter, late November...

I seldom drive it as I drive a van for work so it’s mostly my girlfriend who does...

When I used it the other day, late afternoon after it had been sat in the Sun all day, ambient temperature was about 22... I put the AC on Low, Re- Circulated the Air and the Blowers on Full but only luke warm air came out, even after driving it for about 10 miles...

When I moved it the next morning to get the works van off the drive the AC came on and it was blowing Ice Cold Air so I kinda dismissed it...

Mrs says when she drove home yesterday, again after being sat out in the sun all day it was only blowing luke warm air...

I took it for drive today, mid afternoon and it was again only blowing warm air...

Took it for a drive this evening and had the AC on Auto and it was blowing cold air again...

Seems the AC only works when it’s cold outside, which kinda defeats its purpose...

Has anyone else had a similar issue and was it an easy fix or was it nothing but hassle and a drain on your wallet..?

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Bobit, welcome to the Forum. Please try entering in the “Search” Area “Air Con” and you will see this is a widely written up problem on the QQ. You will most likely find that it is a leaky Condenser causing the problem which was a major problem for Nissan with a large batch of faulty Condensers. We had this problem years ago on our 2014 QQ and Nissan exchanged the Condenser under Guarantee which cured all problems. if out of Guarantee it could cost unless you push the Dealer as being a known Fault. Get it checked out - Dave 🤨
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

Sounds like you have no gas left in the air-con. May find it will just need re-gassing normally around £55. Kwikfit, halfords can do it.
Bobit

Post by Bobit »

DaveBerlin wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:29 pm Bobit, welcome to the Forum. Please try entering in the “Search” Area “Air Con” and you will see this is a widely written up problem on the QQ. You will most likely find that it is a leaky Condenser causing the problem which was a major problem for Nissan with a large batch of faulty Condensers. We had this problem years ago on our 2014 QQ and Nissan exchanged the Condenser under Guarantee which cured all problems. if out of Guarantee it could cost unless you push the Dealer as being a known Fault. Get it checked out - Dave 🤨
Yeah, I saw a lot of people had issues. Most seemed to have 14 Plates and had to wait some time for new condensers. If there was a known issue back then I kinda hoped Nissan would’ve done something to fix it in later cars.

Ours seem to be a similar issue so I’m pretty sure it’s the Condenser that needs changing. We did buy an extended 3 year Warranty so will hopefully be able to claim it on that.
Bobit

Post by Bobit »

andy2019 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:32 pm Sounds like you have no gas left in the air-con. May find it will just need re-gassing normally around £55. Kwikfit, halfords can do it.
Cheers, I was going to book it in at Kwik Fit and their website quoted £150.

Checked Formula 1 Auto Centre and they quoted £50 so I booked it there. When I called the Local Centre to confirm a time slot as per the website instructions they said they couldn’t do it as it has that new type of AC Gas and that I’d need to take it to the Dealer.

Didn’t really want to splash out a couple of hundred for a regas only to have to take it back in a week later.

As I mentioned above we bought an extended warranty so will see if we can get it checked on that.

Thanks.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Bobit, as you have the Extended Guarantee I would personally push Nissan as this is a well known problem just like the FIAMM Batteries. It might be worth up front putting your problem request into NCS who will then register you with a Nissan No. and then normally your Dealer is informed, but at least they have the facts in B & W.
This new Gas is expensive, needs new equipment and cannot be mixed, so the Nissan Way should be cheaper for you. If you need facts on the Gas there are a few posts on this subject also if you need more facts - Best of Luck Dave 👍😉
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Bobit

Post by Bobit »

DaveBerlin wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:28 am Bobit, as you have the Extended Guarantee I would personally push Nissan as this is a well known problem just like the FIAMM Batteries. It might be worth up front putting your problem request into NCS who will then register you with a Nissan No. and then normally your Dealer is informed, but at least they have the facts in B & W.
This new Gas is expensive, needs new equipment and cannot be mixed, so the Nissan Way should be cheaper for you. If you need facts on the Gas there are a few posts on this subject also if you need more facts - Best of Luck Dave 👍😉
Thanks. Yeah we’re going to call the Warranty Claim Line tomorrow. Means we’ll have to take it to their approved Garage, which I assume will be Nissan.

I didn’t buy it from out local Nissan Dealer in Lincoln, we bought it at Available Car in Castle Donington, which is to fat to travel for a repair.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

A leaking condenser would mean no cold air at any time. If yours really IS blowing cold air some of the time, it's something else wrong?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

The awkward news is that the A/C system is controlled as follows - plenty of sensors and inter comms.

Screenshot from 2020-04-26 14-36-21.png

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Bobit

Post by Bobit »

gloucester wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:03 pm A leaking condenser would mean no cold air at any time. If yours really IS blowing cold air some of the time, it's something else wrong?
Yeah, that’s what I couldn’t figure. I’m not sure if it’s blowing cold air purely because it’s colder outside?!?!