Clunking when gear change in reverse

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Bairn1876
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Bairn1876 »

Hi guys, had my 2015 1.5dci Qashqai accenta plus around 4 years now. I was previously a member but can't remember my log in details so started again.

Anyway I have noticed recently and this is only when I have the window down, I can hear a loud clunk noise when the car has been in a slow reverse and I then take it out of gear.

I have googled it and seen posts saying this is discussed multiple times but I have searched and cant seem to find any other posts about this.

Does anyone have any idea what this clunk noise and is it ok? There is suggestions of google it's perfectly normal and the system is testing itself? Thought I'd check here before hitting a garage.

Cheers

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Anything from clutch out to wheels/suspension. Hopefully simple? Not ever checking itself. I would get it into someone for a check really
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Bairn1876

Post by Bairn1876 »

Thanks for the advice.

Nobody else able to help or have I posted in wrong section?

Is there are a more lively forum?
Bairn1876

Post by Bairn1876 »

In fact the noise definitely comes when braking from reverse then sometimes slowly moving forward.
Noddy1875

Post by Noddy1875 »

If it happens when braking,it could be worn suspension parts. ie ball joints, wishbone bushes.
Pearl Black 65 reg Tekna. 1.5 DCI
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

Any chance of a video ?
Could be a few things it all depends on the sound of the clunk.
I've had poor fitting brake pads cause a clunk/knock when braking before at slow speeds usually the backs but I've had 1 with poor fitting brake pads on the front too. The pads were a little bit too small allowing them to move in the carrier causing a noise. This is just a stab in the dark as a clunk can be many things
Qashqai19
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Qashqai19 »

If it clunks when going backwards and then does it once when going forwards then this is a standard noise which they all do, some are worse than others. It's caused by movement in the brake pads as they are slightly smaller than the carriers to compensate for expansion when they get hot. Easiest way of confirming this is drive forwards and brake lightly, then go backwards and brake lightly if it makes the noise then drive backwards again ( don't go forwards between both backward movements) and brake. If the noise doesn't happen again without changing vehicle direction that's the cause.
algnerd

Post by algnerd »

Qashqai19 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:29 am If it clunks when going backwards and then does it once when going forwards then this is a standard noise which they all do, some are worse than others. It's caused by movement in the brake pads as they are slightly smaller than the carriers to compensate for expansion when they get hot. Easiest way of confirming this is drive forwards and brake lightly, then go backwards and brake lightly if it makes the noise then drive backwards again ( don't go forwards between both backward movements) and brake. If the noise doesn't happen again without changing vehicle direction that's the cause.
Sorry to revive this old thread. tried what you suggested and yes when I shift from R to N to D i hear 2 clunks. same as when shift from D to N to R. I also sometimes hear a clunk after braking and moving forward twice (move forward, brake then move forward).

The thing is I still have the same brake pads and they are still new and this wasn't happening before.

I don't know if I'm doing it properly but when I shift I always brake and use the trigger behind the shift nob, don't know if it's the origin of this sound for me.

I also read it might be the gear inside the gearbox that worn out, not sure.

Some else told me that I was due to engine support that was having a little play. Checked it again seemed okay to me.

It's really becoming annoying to hear that clunk, would really appreciate your help.
QQ Tekna 1.6 dCi
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

QUOTE "The thing is I still have the same brake pads and they are still new and this wasn't happening before."

This suggests that that pads are sticking in the guides - remove the pads and grease the contact points where the calliper slides on the carrier - Note - not on the friction material :D :D :D :D :D
algnerd

Post by algnerd »

Buffy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:17 pm QUOTE "The thing is I still have the same brake pads and they are still new and this wasn't happening before."

This suggests that that pads are sticking in the guides - remove the pads and grease the contact points where the caliper slides on the carrier - Note - not on the friction material :D :D :D :D :D
I think the mechanic I went to on Saturday, did grease them and it still clunk.

I'll try and go back again to put more grease or just get new pads.
QQ Tekna 1.6 dCi