QQ 2017 face-lift model Tekna. Battery Issues

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Argy123
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Argy123 »

Hello

Bought my Qashqai almost new with 2000 miles back in May 2018. Had no issues until last year September 2019. Had all the warning signs relevant to battery issues. Car wouldn't start. Called RAC out in September. Check battery and found it was faulty. Replacement on the spot under warranty. Car died again in October. Called RAC out again battery tested fine and was referred to dealer to diagnose. Nissan had the car for a couple of days and returned it with no faults detected and fit for purpose. Later in the same month car died yet again. Called RAC out and they did relevant test on battery. Test come back as service recharge good and no faults detected. At the time I was suffering some power lag in 3rd and 4th gear. Car went back into nissan and they replaced something but can't remember what haha. Car was returned fit for purpose. Nobermber 2019 battery was flat yet again. Called RAC they came and tested battery. Checks come back same as all the other times. Contacted Garage but they wouldn't accept the car as checks were clear from RAC. I'll add this now, when I use the car everyday or almost everyday with no more than 2 days without starting I never get a issue with a flat battery. Between November 19 and July 2020 I have been forced to jump-start the car atheist 15 times due to being in a rush to go out and no time to wait for 2 or 3 hours for RAC to come out and tell me there's nothing wrong with the battery. 14th July 2020 battery is flat. Call RAC out, test performed but comes back as battery is in good condition. They referred me to dealer for further inspection. 20th July 2020 battery is flat again. Once again RAC comes out and cannot find a fault with the battery. Again refered to dealer but this time they called nissan on my behalf and booked the car in. It is currently in dealer now. Got a phone call yesterday stating they have found a issue with the battery and have changed it out for a new one. He insisted with persuasion from myself that they leave the car untouched without starting it until Monday week. There have been other issues like key not being recognised even whilst engine running and the car alarm going off when it feels like it. This has now been 3 battery's this car has had and its taken them almost a year to identify a problem. My warranty finishes at the end of July. I'll update this thread once I get the car back or hear further news on Monday. Never again will I buy another nissan. Thanks for reading

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

What do they RAC blokes tell you about this problem...its rather repetitive IMO
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Argy123

Post by Argy123 »

calnorth wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:41 am What do they RAC blokes tell you about this problem...its rather repetitive IMO
To be honest they don't say much. Out of the 6 rac guys that have attended only one of them said something about headlight module and perhaps needs software updates. They have all agreed there's something wrong with the management side of the car but can't identify what.

Nissan had the car in the garage twice with the new RAC fitted battery and found there to be no faults and kept returning the car. This time round they reckon there's a issue with the battery and probably got worse over time ( the reason they couldn't find it before). Referring back to the original post, the part they changed for the loss of power was the timing valve. I sent a letter of complaint to Nissan head office yesterday detailing dates of call outs problems etc. Waiting for a reply. When I get the car back hopefully Monday I'll leave it to sit for 3 days and attempt to start it. Won't know much more until then.

The problems I'm having seem identical to others that iv read on here, mine just seem to continue regardless of a battery change.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Do you perform multiple short journeys over a short period of time....Start/Stop exacerbates the thing anyway

My thoughts on Battery performance...or not:

1. Poor quality Battery as in the FIAMM Nissan fitted. Mine was changed by RAC for a Varta AGM type with no follow on problems yet
2. Charging system problem. The Alternator is a larger type (power) in these cars to assist with crazy Start/Stop power drain.
3. Current leakage from the battery when Ign OFF. There is a little "use" for a short time...not significant usually
4. Battery Management...regulation etc should be an easy fix...see below

You can monitor charging (volts) status on the Connect ICE screen System Menu. Follow the vid below and drive it on the Status screen and watch the volts value which should rise to over 14 volts approx when driving. Below 12v after parking for day or two is the end of a Battery pretty much...Capacity fall to 50% which is what the RAC test for.

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta