2017 Qashqai Pre-First MOT Advice

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Kashkuli
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Kashkuli »

Hello,

My J11 Qashqai is due it first MOT soon and I'll book the service at the same time. Does anybody have any suggestions on preventative maintenance or checks I should carry out to reduce the servicing costs beforehand?

Thanks as always!

gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Not really - I just go through the "normal" things you should be doing periodically in any case:

Tyre pressures and wear - I had a tyre fail once on a bubble on the inner side that I realistically couldn't have seen without taking it off.
Light bulbs - had a failed numberplate bulb once

At three years other things should be fine still?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

As Gloucester says, tyres (pressure and tread depth), and bulbs.

Also windscreen wipers, windscreen (chips), water in the windscreen washer bottle, if you have a spare in the car it has to be legal (tread, inflated correctly, etc.)

A few wear and tear bits and bobs that a 2017 car shouldn’t have to worry about - seat belts (not frayed, retracting properly), suspension parts
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Is it not a Must now that everything that is fitted during manufacture has to work like electronics, Warnings, TPMS Valves etc.
Also the “First Aid “ Box needs a check in case some articles are “out of date” and the Warning Triangles should be there.
What I normally do is give the QQ a clean, I do not like Service people working on dirty cars and also it shows the MOT Guy that the QQ is looked after. Here is a little stricter as the TÜV guys as they are called here do not work for the Dealer so it is a little more stricter - Dave 😏
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

2020-08-06_08430.png

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Kashkuli

Post by Kashkuli »

Thanks all, some very sensible suggestions here, this forum always delivers!
Geordieman

Post by Geordieman »

I also take good photos of everything inside and out just in case there is anything damaged while they have it or I don't agree with something they want to do. Take a pic of the mileage as well just in case someone does a little trip in it. My brother once got his car back and there were fish and chip papers in the back. I also take a pic with the dip stick on a piece of white paper to show the dark, used colour and then check it when I get the car back to make sure it is clean oil. I also mark anything like the air filter with a felt tip to make sure that gets changed as well. You probably have realised by now that I don't trust them. I have experienced main dealer issues in the past and they certainly charge far too much to not do something that they are supposed to do. Last service they videoed a faulty tyre to show me it needed to be replaced but I had that done at my local tyre garage a lot cheaper. I was also puzzled by how quickly they did the service considering how many items needed doing when they had spent so much time making the video of the tyres!
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

My QQ is booked in for its first MOT in a couple of weeks time and it will also have its 3rd service (classed as a minor service).

I checked my wiper blades this morning and noticed one of them has started to split. Will get that sorted just in case.

Not really used my car a great deal over the last couple of months, for obvious reasons. I think maybe 50 miles a month at the moment! Just passed 10,000 miles. Hopefully not much to attend to? 🤞🏻🤷🏻‍♂️🤔 :?
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
Geordieman

Post by Geordieman »

Sandgrounder our battery failed because the car wasn't being used due to the virus restrictions. Got a new one off the RAC under warranty. He said there is too much tech on the car for the dodgy batteries that were being fitted. He suggested using the car 3 times a week on a half hour drive to keep it charged up.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

Thanks for that, Geordieman. I had the dreaded FIAMM battery replaced free of charge in September last year by the RAC. Touch wood, all good so far! :)

Geordieman wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:20 am Sandgrounder our battery failed because the car wasn't being used due to the virus restrictions. Got a new one off the RAC under warranty. He said there is too much tech on the car for the dodgy batteries that were being fitted. He suggested using the car 3 times a week on a half hour drive to keep it charged up.
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)