J11 face lift battery issue

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
scottmcmullan8
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by scottmcmullan8 »

Hi,

I have been reading in here at the FIAMM battery issues. I went to my 2017 (just out of warranty manufactured June 2017) yesterday and it wouldn't start. Checked the hidden menu and battery was showing 8v. I got my father in law to jump start it and brought it to a local garage to replace the battery. They told me the battery tested good and to give it another chance. I took it for a long drive and left it in the drive battery showing 12.5 when off. A few hours later went to check and it was down to 12. It wouldn't start and on trying drained to 8 and Has stayed there.

I noticed it is a FIAMM battery but what do I do now? Get a new battery even though the battery test says it's a good battery? Or does this sound like something is draining it and I should look to find that fault instead?

Thanks

lewisbryant

Post by lewisbryant »

My advise to you is to get it checked for a drain first requires someone who knows what they are doing, should be below 20ma but the maximum limit is 60ma. I've done a few qashqais and notes and they all go down to 12ma - 14ma but that fluctuating back and forth is due to the NATS light (nissan anti theft system) flashing on the dash, bad ones are usually from up above 200ma so quite easy to tell if its draining.

Probably find it's not draining though I've only come across a handful and usual suspects are radios and around view monitor module.

After you've had it checked get rid of that FIAMM battery and wap on a VARTA EFB or AGM 720A.
scottmcmullan8

Post by scottmcmullan8 »

Don't suppose there is any point in phoning the nissan dealership? Do they have an obligation to stand over these sort of faults given there has been a massive problem with others? Not holding out much hope but you wouldn't expect have a 3 year old car to suffer battery drain or fault.
phatboy
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by phatboy »

It's been doing it for 3 months, and you were shielding at home and couldn't bring it to a dealer you say?!

Many manufacturers are claiming to be tolerant of slipped services and warranties, due to COVID.....
2018 Qashqai Tekna + DCT Dig-T 160
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I tracked mine down to 11v often over a period of about 5 months. It was condemned by the RAC last Feb at about 55% capacity. I had charged it a couple of weeks before on first fail to start...foolish. RAC has authority to exchange battery at 50% capacity. Changed to Varta AGM at rated value above.

12v and below is unacceptable and these FIAMM batteries have been down there very often. Consistently I'd say and Nissan know it.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
scottmcmullan8

Post by scottmcmullan8 »

Well RAC are on there way under warranty until September actually which is good although leaves me wondering. If they replace the battery but this is an ongoing fault and repeats itself in say December would I be covered under warranty as first reported before warranty expired?
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Scott, whatever ! as mentioned by Lewis get yourself a VARTA Battery ours is so good I keep complaining it is Good - Dave 😋
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

DaveBerlin wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:31 am Scott, whatever ! as mentioned by Lewis get yourself a VARTA Battery ours is so good I keep complaining it is Good - Dave 😋
RAC have Varta AGM direct replacement onboard van. Standard stuff
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
scottmcmullan8

Post by scottmcmullan8 »

Yip this was fitted. Bad cell in my previous battery. Varta AGM now in. Let's see how we go
valep

Post by valep »

My battery died after 17 months RAC change it under warranty it took him adout 1 hour to do all the tests and recalibrate the ecu, he put a Nissan battery on. I now leave the car unlocked in the garage as I have to get out of the passenger door and if the key fob or the button on the door did not open it I could not get in the car
Qashqai Tenka+ Vivid Blue 2017 1.2