Newbie only 3 weeks

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
Happysunnydays
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Happysunnydays »

3 weeks ago , I spent all my pension on a 2016 1.5 dci, absolutely love it, best car I have ever owned. Then today my husband went to pick up his mower from a guy who repairs cars and what he told my husband has had me in tears. Let me explain what he said. My new qashqai has the latest high technology fuel filter which is extremely good to mpg. BUT it is not as good as it sounds because they block up then you will have a bill for £2500 to replace the unit. He said you have to drive them hard, high revs, so that you only get 50 mpg or I will have severe problems with it.

I need to know please, is he correct in what he says ? Or is he just out to upset me as he is jealous that I have a better car than him ?
I'm really really upset at this moment 😭

switchback

Post by switchback »

He's probably talking about the DPF ( diesel particulate filter in the exhaust). Like all diesels, they don't like short runs from cold are are best suited to longer runs and higher annual mileages. No need to drive them hard though, just normal driving is OK. Good quality fuel also helps to reduce the ash build up.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

He was talking about the older model the car you have has a different system which looks after itself it true you need to keep them clean with runs so car heats up I had a system the same on my diesel mini countryman and done 20000 miles in 3 yrs and had no problems and nobody does the runs I does
and lots of people on the forum have them and are happy...just enoy......david
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Just drive it normally. If you do mainly very short distances, try and give it a half hour spin now and again. Just normal driving at 1500 rpm to 2000, which again is just normal.
Basically just drive and enjoy. I’ve not heard of a single problem with this model. All diesel cars have had this filtration system to stop soot exiting the exhaust for several years. Early ones, last century, could be temperamental, but the latest models have been refined so it’s not an issue these days, so there’s no need to worry.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

As mentioned, Qashqai diesels from 2014 on have a self-regeneration system which will prevent the particulate filter from becoming blocked. Don't take your car to this so-called "car expert" for any work! ;)
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
switchback

Post by switchback »

Hound wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:44 am Qashqai diesels from 2014 on have a self-regeneration system which will prevent the particulate filter from becoming blocked.
Not quite true..................The DPF will not block with exhaust particulate but can eventually block with the ash that's produced from the regeneration process. The more short journeys you do from cold produces extra particulate that needs burning off more regularly so adds to the amount of ash produced.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Well yes, eventually, but hopefully they can then be Terracleaned for significantly less than £2500... :)
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Happysunnydays
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Happysunnydays »

Thankyou for all your answers. My happiness is returning with the positive comments on this problem . I have stopped crying now . I really do love this qashqai and want to keep it forever. Thanks again xx