Aircon issue

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
grahamfromoldham

Post by grahamfromoldham »

To kill your bacteria smell coming through your vents associated with aircon, I found this video some time ago to sort it out. Basically you need a can of Dettol ant-bacterial spray, the aerosol type which sells for around £3 and will kill 99.9% of bacteria. I did mine this weekend on both mine and my partners cars and works a treat:

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

A great idea when your car stinks, but prevention is better than a cure.

You can also get these things https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/292020913574?c ... 195&crdt=0

they work different to the video you show. This time you select recirculation and put your aircon on full with windows closed, place the cartridge in the middle of your car , hit the plunger & retreat for a while with all doors closed behind you.
grahamfromoldham wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:04 pm To kill your bacteria smell coming through your vents associated with aircon, I found this video some time ago to sort it out. Basically you need a can of Dettol ant-bacterial spray, the aerosol type which sells for around £3 and will kill 99.9% of bacteria. I did mine this weekend on both mine and my partners cars and works a treat:
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

grahamfromoldham wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:04 pm To kill your bacteria smell coming through your vents associated with aircon, I found this video some time ago to sort it out. Basically you need a can of Dettol ant-bacterial spray, the aerosol type which sells for around £3 and will kill 99.9% of bacteria. I did mine this weekend on both mine and my partners cars and works a treat:
Did you do it on a Qashqai? I can't figure out exactly where the air intake is on a J11. Just got myself armed with a Dettol spray ready to do this, and no sign of any intakes. Opening up the bonnet yields this long grille...

IMAG2230.jpg

But on peering into it, just seems a protective cover for lots of pipework etc. No feeling of suction either when running on max. And I doubt the source of cool fresh air would be concealed inside a hot stinky engine bay??

So, does anyone know where the source of the air comes from on a J11 please?
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
grahamfromoldham

Yup, when you spray it in that vent the spray gets sucked into it and will enter your system. You'll know this as almost instantly your car will smell of the dettol smell (pleasant smell and not offensive)
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

That vent is just a cover and can be removed (you can see the clips on the photo). I think the real vents must be at one or two points behind because the bit I peered through with a torch just seemed to be some electronic circuitry. I'll try and figure out

And yes those Dettol sprays are great - I presume we're talking about the ones you just spray on and it evaporates in the air. Having had two boys recently who pee all over the toilet and surrounding area, they work great for just magically removing the smell (as a temporary cover up job till the real cleaning begins).
paplane

Post by paplane »

grahamfromoldham wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:23 pm Yup, when you spray it in that vent the spray gets sucked into it and will enter your system. You'll know this as almost instantly your car will smell of the dettol smell (pleasant smell and not offensive)
Dettol, pleasant !, not offensive!

It reminds me of my long lost grandad who used to bathe in the stuff to keep himself 'germ free'.

It's horrible stuff. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

This isn't Dettol disinfectant which has that distinctive smell, it's something different by Dettol. A spray you just spray on and it evaporates...

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs ... ssom-400ml

Comes in different scents too, Blossom Orchard, Pine.

I've gone for Linen Fresh, smells quite nice for inside a car.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

anyone thought what disinfectant does to your activated charcoal pollen filter? blowing disinfectant in from the outside may contaminate it. unsure if the car bomb disinfectants bypass the filter on recirculation.
Last edited by Deleted User 3871 on Wed May 23, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Pollen filter is just a paper one, not activated charcoal. Well it is on mine, I changed it recently
grahamfromoldham

Yes they are Chris