Sat nav problems

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
Devon Dave
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Devon Dave »

I have recently purchased 1 2 tekna plus 2018 Jan 67 reg, I purchases car in Surrey, drove home to Devon, no problems, return journey couple of weeks later the sat nav goes haywire and shows me hundreds of miles away in Norfolk instead of Hampshire, over the next 3 weeks it gradually got back into Devon but no where near accurate, tried a new SD card, no difference, spoke to Nissan UK, said take it to Nissan Barnstaple. Took it there, not really any help except the senior tech thought needed a £3K head change, spoke to Nissan UK again and they said run it to Exeter Nissan, I set out for Exeter, a trip of 36 miles along the A30, sat nav is showing I am on the A30 but heading the different direction to Cornwall, as I approached the turn off for Exeter the sat nav pops up with turn left, yes you have guessed it, it is now correct after 21 days! Nissan checked it over, put a new SD card in and said they couldn't find any problem so see how it goes, all was well until 3 weeks later on journey up through Somerset I am suddenly heading for the coast at Bridport! During my journey and subsequent journeys in Surrey and return I visited Guernsey Jersey and Le Havre and onwards, the clock on the car changed to French time as well. On return I spoke to Exeter Nissan and booked it in for this Wednesday, on the morning of going to take it in, I get in the car and a message comes up bsaying due to time zone change the clock has been adjusted, yes, when I went to map it is showing correct location for the second time prior to a Nissan visit, I took it in after telling them what had happened, I had picture of sat nav half way to Jersey, they now say its got to be the head, £3000 please or they are offering what I paid for it in part ex for a 19 Reg 1.3 Tekna which they say is a much better car with 2 years warranty and servicing for £250 a month for 3 years on finance, really don't what to do, is the 1.3 much better than the 1.2? Waiting for Nissan UK to tell me what they are going to do with this 3 year old car with just18000 on the clock, full main dealer service history.

collywobble
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by collywobble »

You can buy a Garmin with free lifetime updates for £99.99 from Halfrauds! I'm in Barnstaple and just bought our first Qashqai - 2012 J10 with 48K on the clock. I have found Barnstaple Nissan very helpful but the parts and accessory prices are a joke! Luckily our sat-nav works OK!
Devon Dave

Post by Devon Dave »

Yes I have a Tom Tom but that is not the point on a 16 k car, it also changes the time which cannot be alterd
Devon Dave

Post by Devon Dave »

More interested in people who have had a 1.2 and then a 1.3 petrol, the dealership say they are totally different, but they would.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

The nature of the fault is hard to diagnose and certainly a Nissan dealer would have no chance. The GPS receiver is a small slab of silicone that is fed with some firmware. It also requires a GPS Antenna Amplifier up in the roof Antenna block. A poor signal could be causing this receiver to loose Sync with 3 satellites...at least. They provide data for triangulating position and importantly, the receiver needs to know what satellites are available - in range/regional. It requires accurate Time and Almanac data, regularly updated...weeks or less. A boot up can be slowed while the GPS searches for the Almanac etc.

Without the mentioned "current" data the receiver output could wander all over the place or better, throw a valid error message. The later with an error number would help to determine either signal, hardware or a software problem...seems Bosch for this money don't bother with that or reserve it for extremely expensive test equipment?

I've never understood why this headunit should cost circa £3k.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Billgo

Post by Billgo »

Having had two 1.5 diesel QQs, I changed 2 years ago to 1.3 petrol which I am please with. I am taking it in for second service on Monday next with only 11,250 km on clock. It seems a bit of a waste at this small mileage but needs to be done to satisfy warranty conditions. When the warranty runs out next year I will be more flexible with service intervals.
2014 QQ 1.5 Dci.
2019 QQ 1.3 Petrol. Manual
Devon Dave

Post by Devon Dave »

I need a comparison between the 1.2 and 1.3, how does your 1.3 compare to the diesel? Main dealers are an hour away so long way for a test drive
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum

I haven't tried a 1.3 but most people think it's a LOT better!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Devon Dave

Post by Devon Dave »

Thanks for the info
bigmike20vt

Post by bigmike20vt »

Hi
bit of a bump however I thought i would post somewhere and when looking for answers this thread kept coming up.

My 2012 Nissan QQ recently started having satnav issues and when doing the hold set up and twiddling the right hand nob to get into the advanced settings, it could see the satelites but was not connecting to them. I upgraded to the connect 1 V11 but didnt help.

i gave up and this morning updated my tomtom to newest maps. on trying that on way to work i noticed my car navigation was working as well as the tomtom. when i checked it was connected to 10 satelites!.

i wondered if somehow the tomtom antennae was connecting to the system through the cig lighter power however on unplugging it stayed connected.

However As soon as i plugged in my dashcam camera (a number of roundabouts near me people seem to thing pulling out in front of cars to the right is fine as is going right around them in the left hand lane cutting people up.... i had a few near misses hence the camera.

but as soon as i plugged it in, the number of satelites plummeted down to 2 and i think if i left it would have gone to zero. un plug it and it immediately went up to 8-11 again.

it is a really cheap camera i dunno if a better one would be ok. but if you are having trouble with your system connecting to satelites and you have stuff plugged into your cig lighter (or maybe even your usb) try unplugging them. it worked for me.
Fiat Coupe 2003 - 2010, Nissan 350z, 2010 - 2015...... Dirty nappies, screaming baby and a Qashqai 1.5 ntec+ 2015+