2020 Connect - Speed Camera locations

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
Happyhouse14
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Happyhouse14 »

anyone know why Nissan has removed speed camera locations from their Sat Nav maps, seems they asked Tom Tom to remove this? Seems daft that the system is based on Tom Tom, and they allow speed camera locations, and yet Nissan asks for it to be turned off?

Is there any way to buy these as Points of Interest and install them into Connect? Nissan advised not?

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Happyhouse14 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:07 pm anyone know why Nissan has removed speed camera locations from their Sat Nav maps, seems they asked Tom Tom to remove this? Seems daft that the system is based on Tom Tom, and they allow speed camera locations, and yet Nissan asks for it to be turned off?

Is there any way to buy these as Points of Interest and install them into Connect? Nissan advised not?
I believe that U.K. Sat Nav systems have to adhere to EU policy which says that these warnings can’t be used.

If you check the search function you will find in depth discussions on this and how to include them a POIs
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

In France its banned and subject to some sort of fine and bad mouthing from armed police I suspect. So it would be no surprise that Nanny EU has threatened motor companies. However, Points of Interest (POI's) can be obtained by subscription from the UK website below. This site is the most reliable simply because it is maintained and you can add/modify your own POI's using Google Maps:

I've used this site for about 8 years on 3 GPS devices incl Nissan Connect.

https://www.pocketgpsworld.com
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Geordieman

Post by Geordieman »

It is mad but we miss the warning sound as we aproach the local camera locations. We know where they are so don't need the warning. Guess we are brain washed with it from the previous car.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I should qualify what I posted above. I was talking about a 2017 Connect 3 Head Unit. What Nissan supplied after that (say 2018/19 on) I have not seen and is an Android/Car Play Connect 3 look alike I believe. This later Head Unit I think we named Connect 4?

Connect 3 has a a menu function for POI's to be entered by USB Stick (amended). Connect 4, I don't know if that POI management function exists. Someone here with the Connect 4 type might explain? POI's are important for route planning etc so I expect the function to be on Connect 4.
Last edited by calnorth on Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

calnorth wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:30 am I should qualify what I posted above. I was talking about a 2017 Connect 3 Head Unit. What Nissan supplied after that (say 2018/19 on) I have not seen and is an Android/Car Play Connect 3 look alike I believe. This later Head Unit I think we named Connect 4?

Connect 3 has a a menu function for POI's to be entered by SDCard. Connect 4, I don't know if that POI management function exists. Someone here with the Connect 4 type might explain? POI's are important for route planning etc so I expect the function to be on Connect 4.
I have the latest Connect system and there doesn't seem to be a simple way.
By far the simplest option is to use CarPlay or Android Auto and a Nav App. like Waze or to watch your speedo....... ;)
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

MikeGC wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:45 am
calnorth wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:30 am I should qualify what I posted above. I was talking about a 2017 Connect 3 Head Unit. What Nissan supplied after that (say 2018/19 on) I have not seen and is an Android/Car Play Connect 3 look alike I believe. This later Head Unit I think we named Connect 4?

Connect 3 has a a menu function for POI's to be entered by SDCard. Connect 4, I don't know if that POI management function exists. Someone here with the Connect 4 type might explain? POI's are important for route planning etc so I expect the function to be on Connect 4.
I have the latest Connect system and there doesn't seem to be a simple way.
By far the simplest option is to use CarPlay or Android Auto and a Nav App. like Waze or to watch your speedo....... ;)
Thanks Mike...the link to PocketGPSWorld above also provides Android and iPad Apps - Maps with POI's embedded. I've no idea how popular it is but suspect Waze is preferred.

I suppose you can transfer a route with the Nissan Wifi App? Not so with random POI's?

The "eye on the speedo" can be awkward. I drive a number of converted dual carriageways in the W. Mids. They look like 70mph but many have been down rated to 50mph and many A road singles from 60mph to 50mph or less. Ok..I see the new limit street furniture but infrastructure history remains brain embedded. Nearly got done a few weeks back on a 50mph dual carriageway but my SpeedCams alarm went off 300m before the mobile camera. I was on a downhill (50-ish) with the racers (60+) passing and the mobile was round a bend...luckily. 300m warnings won't always be enough really with those mobiles.

I've been done twice in my 50 yr driving life and always on wide open roads..way out there. Trying to get to work... :roll:
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Even though my satnav ( SD card version in my 19 plate 😒 ) has the speed camera warnings, I still use the TomTom AmiGO App on the mobile phone, it's so much better and picks up those pesky mobile vans, also picks up roadworks which is always handy.
19 plate 1.5dCi n-connecta in Magnetic Red
Happyhouse14

Post by Happyhouse14 »

Hi Weasel, I was thinking the same, use Tom Tom app on my phone, but I find it really strange Nissan maps on the latest connect units are supplied by Tom Tom and Nissan asked Tom Tomto remove cameras from connect, and yet you get them on Tom tom on your phone for £2.99 a month.

I have a feeling that adding the POI via SD card for spec cameras into the latest 2020 connect may be tricky - anyone tried it?? So you down load from pocket GPS works onto an SD card, and then import the camera locations( assume there must be thousands of them?) as POI? Might try it with a single POI as a trial first!

Assume it is up to you to repeat the POI upload when you feel this is needed? Your subscription to PocketGPS is annual so you can keep going back for the latest?
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Ey up, Hh14...I think the POI update has to be done by USB stick, providing you can do it on a 2020 EVO Connect system.
19 plate 1.5dCi n-connecta in Magnetic Red