Voice activation and windows.

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

J11B is the facelift version of the QQ, on its way in the near future, September has been suggested.

Deleted User 2899

Post by Deleted User 2899 »

Mongoose wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 9:32 pm ok will give it a try

Did you get it to work ? I tried for ages with a Galaxy S4. To start with I had S Voice turned on and that would wish me a happy journey (or something like that) every time I connected to the car but then it would crash the connection between the phone and the connect unit so I couldnt make calls etc so I ended up disabling S Voice. I did have some success in using Google Voice by installing Google Now and then enabling the Voice control for 'OK google' from any screen but I don't have my phone plugged into the USB charger so the phone would sleep and not hear the commands. I even tried adding the 'Nissan Connect' to the Trusted Places (in the phones security settings) so that it would keep the phone unlocked but that didn't seem to help either.

In the end I gave in ! I do have a Galaxy S6 now but the USB connector isn't great and I don't want to plug it in every time I am in the car anyway so I wont bother messing with it now.

I think the permanently listening (for OK Google) even when its OFF only came in with the Galaxy S7 so not sure how far you would get with your S6 unless you have it plugged in all the time.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Well that didn't work. Been in touch with Nissan, awaiting answer.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Guys, im not sure if this will help you but it worked for me. I have a Galaxy S6, it worked fine with the voice function on the QQ stearing wheel. I installed Android 'N' and it stopped working but everything else was fine with the phone. I went into the settings & did a total wipe / erase / factory reset & loaded everything back up. Now Google voice works fine with the car again. So, I can recommend resetting youe phone to factory settings as it may fix your problem.
Deleted User 2899

Daewar wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:44 am Guys, im not sure if this will help you but it worked for me. I have a Galaxy S6, it worked fine with the voice function on the QQ stearing wheel. I installed Android 'N' and it stopped working but everything else was fine with the phone. I went into the settings & did a total wipe / erase / factory reset & loaded everything back up. Now Google voice works fine with the car again. So, I can recommend resetting youe phone to factory settings as it may fix your problem.

So you are saying you can now press and hold the green call button to get the voice activation to work ? If so then do you have to have the phone plugged in for it to function ?
paplane

Post by paplane »

Just want to say I have a brand new Galaxy S8, fresh out of the box, which doesn't work on the long press. Same thing - car display says voice recognition active, radio goes off and then.........nothing.

My old S4 worked fine. Very frustrating having shelled out over £600 for a piece of cutting edge technology.
Deleted User 2899

paplane wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:31 pm Just want to say I have a brand new Galaxy S8, fresh out of the box, which doesn't work on the long press. Same thing - car display says voice recognition active, radio goes off and then.........nothing.

My old S4 worked fine. Very frustrating having shelled out over £600 for a piece of cutting edge technology.
I think a lot of these problems arise because of Samsung having their own voice assistant (S Voice) activated and it causes conflict. Can you confirm this is OFF and you have Google Voice activated instead ?
paplane

Post by paplane »

Lanstrom wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:55 pm
paplane wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:31 pm Just want to say I have a brand new Galaxy S8, fresh out of the box, which doesn't work on the long press. Same thing - car display says voice recognition active, radio goes off and then.........nothing.

I think a lot of these problems arise because of Samsung having their own voice assistant (S Voice) activated and it causes conflict. Can you confirm this is OFF and you have Google Voice activated instead ?
There's no such thing as S voice on S8. There's this new Samsung assistant called Bixby. Apparently it's their version of Google Assistant, Siri etc. They've even put a dedicated button on the side of the phone to bring it up. Trouble is, you can't (yet) control it with voice commands. Having just done a search on the net, apparently it cant understand English very well yet (only Korean)! The update, which will understand English, is due any day.

Google assistant works fine - I just say OK Google, and it kicks in. But this only works on the phone, the long press on the steering wheel causes the error.
Deleted User 3871

Yes, although both phone buttons on my steering wheel are grey. My phone is controlled through blue-tooth, i,m never connected by wires.
Lanstrom wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:57 am
Daewar wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:44 am Guys, im not sure if this will help you but it worked for me. I have a Galaxy S6, it worked fine with the voice function on the QQ stearing wheel. I installed Android 'N' and it stopped working but everything else was fine with the phone. I went into the settings & did a total wipe / erase / factory reset & loaded everything back up. Now Google voice works fine with the car again. So, I can recommend resetting youe phone to factory settings as it may fix your problem.

So you are saying you can now press and hold the green call button to get the voice activation to work ? If so then do you have to have the phone plugged in for it to function ?
Deleted User 3871

I have S-Voice disabled & use Google voice only
Lanstrom wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:55 pm