Test Driving on Saturday: A couple of questions

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
GrumpyTrucker

Post by GrumpyTrucker »

Hi all,

Considering my first Nissan, and looking at the Qashqai. Outside it looks good, but I keep reading conflicting reports about the infotainment unit. I'm looking at the N-Connecta with NissanConnect. I did try the search but some of the results coming up are from 3 years ago so I'm hoping they're not as relevant anymore.

I have an iPhone. Will probably not have next year, but right now it's an iPhone. If I choose not to try to use the limited Connect apps, but choose just to use the system as a sat nav and connect the phone by Bluetooth would I get all the functionality I would expect? That is, voice activated calling, texts on screen, Bluetooth audio streaming with title display? If I choose not to activate Connect, what would I lose from the standard system functionality? I'm assuming things like the Google maps send to car functions?

Are there any ongoing issues with the current QQ I need to ask the sales rep about?

I'm looking st the 1.2 petrol (I don't fly around, far too old for that). How does this engine perform in such a large car?

Thanks for reading and I apologise if I'm repeating old questions.

Still a little disappointed that a car like the QQ doesn't have CarPlay / AndroidPlay but I've never had it before so it's not a big deal. Just a niggle.
QQ 1.2 DiG-T Tekna (2017 J11) with pano roof, Magnetic Red

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Others can speak on the 1.2 engine; going for manual or auto?
You don't need to use Connect app for phone connection; I phone works with cable & Bluetooth.
I've an Android and only seems to work via Bluetooth.
Dependent on the construction of the mp3 tags, you'll see track details, sometimes.
Most of mine do, but good number don't; can't be bothered to go through with an mp3 editor.
Assuming you're buying new, search forum to establish how to access Connect hidden menu to see date of car map.
2016 owners report map with 2013 date; reject for very latest issue.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
GrumpyTrucker

Post by GrumpyTrucker »

Cheers for the reply. Would be a manual box (wife won't drive an auto). As for the streaming I was thinking more stuff from Spotify etc for the track info display. Don't use on device music.

I'll have a look for the hidden menu thing, thanks.

Oh, one last question to those with an opinion - roof rails and pano roof OR heated seats/screen? I've seen a similar post from a while back but was wondering what people's opinions are now?
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

My Tekna came with pano & heated seats as standard. I use very infrequently to be honest.
On pano some insurers cover under glass section of policy; others view as bodywork.
The new version of the QQ (J11a), out in early autumn so there'll start to be some very good
deals on current model.
I bought via broker; all went well, delivered to my home, saving £4k as local dealer offered no £ concession
at all, even for cash purchase / no trade in.
Don't use Spotify, I'm sure others here will chip in.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

GrumpyTrucker wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 5:27 pm Cheers for the reply. Would be a manual box (wife won't drive an auto). As for the streaming I was thinking more stuff from Spotify etc for the track info display. Don't use on device music.

I'll have a look for the hidden menu thing, thanks.

Oh, one last question to those with an opinion - roof rails and pano roof OR heated seats/screen? I've seen a similar post from a while back but was wondering what people's opinions are now?
The only views that matter are yours and your wife's. Im lucky enough to be fully loaded. Pano roof is great, as are the winter pack options. Personal opinnion if it was one or the other, heated seats and thermaclear windscreen.
Bullyboy

Post by Bullyboy »

Hi and welcome. I use my iPhone wiyh Bluetooth and it works fine. I don't bother with any of the apps. For me the pano roof is great plus on tekna you get the heated seats. Would be fantastic if the pano roof opened as well - but hey you can't have everything! Some of the options will be personal choice.
All the best
Paul
NOW- Mini Clubman Cooper S ---- WAS a 16 plate Tekna 1.6 dig-t in Gunmetal with Pano Roof
GrumpyTrucker

Post by GrumpyTrucker »

Just my luck there's a facelift due later this year. My current 3 year deal with a Ford is up next month so need to change before then. I have seen somewhere I can get the N-Connecta with (somehow) leather trim, pano roof, and heated screen, for a little less than dealer prices seem to be for the Connecta with screen OR roof even with the £3000 deposit contribution they're currently doing. However, might as well at least get the test drive out the way.
beetroot42

Post by beetroot42 »

Hi - I am new QQ owner, I test driven a few and I like the N-connecta. Decent spec with some good technology included. Worth checking out used prices where you live, usually can get a 1 year old N-connecta under £16k.
Also worth asking for a space saver spare kit included in your deal.
I own a used 1.5 DCI N-connecta 2016 machine
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

GrumpyTrucker, these options are of course personal as they have to meet Yours and particularly the Wife's requirements.
We have a Tekna and live in Berlin and the weather can get a little colder here. The Heated Front Screen is a real bonus it functions well and very quick with frosty windows. The Heated Seats are also a bonus for us and are nice to have. The Pano roof is great as mentioned it would be nice if it open, but the interior is very light and our blind is always open except when it is extremely hot. What is surprising is that the US version of the European QQ called the Rogue Sport has an option for an opening Moon Roof, but is much smaller than our version. The older US Rogue has a larger Sliding Roof - why not here ?

The Roof Rails IMHO really set the looks of the QQ off, obviously they are also function but if you are buying a used one please take a look at the End Caps as there is a Quality Issue with "Crazing" marks which if seen you can most probably get changed under Guarantee.
Our Nissan Connect System has been playing up but now seems to be OK and to me functions OK (Bluetooth), as Paul mentioned we do not bother with the Apps. In General very pleased with the QQ - go for it Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I've read so many sad stories which start "I bought a Juke/QQ with the 1.2 engine" I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole
Last edited by MikeGC on Fri May 12, 2017 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)