Undecided

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
Pete2033
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Pete2033 »

Hi all,

Quick introduction. I'm pete and i live in Whitworth, near Rochdale. I have owned my extremely trusty 2003 Volkswagen Passat estate since new and it's now getting time to change it. After 269,000 miles the syncro on 3rd gear is starting wear out, one of the back doors doesn't unlock and there are other small issues which will only get worse as time goes on.
I'm looking for a 4 wheel drive and after months of research i have narrowed my choice down to 2. The Qashqai or the Mazda CX5. I have test driven both and been really happy with them. Here's the issue. I would have settled for the Qashqai because it's really well equipped but I'm reading lots of things about it's reliability, specifically the electrics. I have read owners reviews (carbuyer.co.uk) warning people to stay away because of problems with the Sat Nav, DAB Radio, Parking sensors getting wet, the climate control and the list went on. Even a review in Auto Express this year (march) said to "buy with care" Nearly all the negative reviews on the above mentioned website were for vehicles built in 2014 and 2015.
I have about £20,000 to spend on a used car hopefully no more than 2 years old so I'm hoping all the above mentioned issues will now have been ironed out.
You can't beat speaking to people who actually own and run them, so here i am! Should i get one and is there anything i should look for?

Thanks for reading this.

Pete.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

We have had our 14 QQ 1,2L for nearly 3 years and still like it despite the associated problems. We took delivery in Aug 14 after a 5 month wait when only the 1,2L engine was available, but after a recent trip the next will definitely be a 1,6L.
You are correct that there has been a lot of publicity regarding QQ problems but this is always the way, more Negatives than Positive comments. We have had our fare share of problems and inconvenience, but all have been corrected by our Dealer / Nissan under Guarantee with the use of a Loan Car FOC. There should be a large selection of the older model J11A QQ's around now at reasonable prices due to the implementation of the new J11B. I would suggest buying from a Nissan Dealer as they have the experience and should have the knowledge of the associated problems - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

You could have a brand new one for your £20k.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5484
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

I had Qashqai and the Mazda CX5 on my list it was a close run thing but the Qashqai seems to have more to offer, 8 months in and no problems.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
Pete2033
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Pete2033 »

Hi guys, Thanks for your response. I could get a brand new one for that but if i get a QQ then i would prefer a 4x4 Tekna with all the bells and whistles. Dave as you say it tends to be the case that you hear more bad than good, it's just that if I'm spending that sort of cash, which i have never done before, then i want to be able to rely on it. I was impressed when i took it for a test drive but i do remember the salesman had a problem with touch screen when demonstrating it. 😄
beetroot42

Post by beetroot42 »

Plus points - lots of fab features, gadgets, techno, decent economy, nice driving, good boot space etc.

Minus points - rattles which come and go, Drivers display does not dim very well, build quality not the best.

Overall 7/10 IMHO
suggest you do some test drives around and try other cars to get a feel what you like.
I own a used 1.5 DCI N-connecta 2016 machine
switchback

Post by switchback »

Hound wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:40 pm You could have a brand new one for your £20k.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5484
It's not 4 wheel drive though.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
switchback

Post by switchback »

PJB729 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:45 pm I had Qashqai and the Mazda CX5 on my list it was a close run thing but the Qashqai seems to have more to offer, 8 months in and no problems.
Same as me, I'd had Mazdas for years and wanted to like the CX5 but found it both ugly, underwhelming and feeling and somewhat top heavy to look at and to drive. I took to the Qashqai straight away and haven't looked back. Nearly 2 years on and totally reliable but with the "normal" rattles. CX5 is a better built car but in my opinion it lacks the looks and dynamics of the Qashqai. The CX5 does have more ground clearance for off-roading which is why you feel so perched on top of it when driving but the QQ has been fine and feels like you actually sit in it rather than on it.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Bullyboy

Post by Bullyboy »

Although I am getting rid of mine it's a good car. It does have some electrical gremlins but these can be sorted. I looked at a few things and the qashqai beat the CX5 in my opinion although I know the new cx5 gas just been launched.

My main issue and why I am selling up is the dealer service not the car. All cars have problems. All can be fixed. However it's how it gets fixed by the dealer that in my experience is the poor part, not the car.

Good luck. Your get a nearly new one or pre registered for your budget.
All the best
Paul
NOW- Mini Clubman Cooper S ---- WAS a 16 plate Tekna 1.6 dig-t in Gunmetal with Pano Roof
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Pete, again the comment on the Dealer Sales Guy regarding the Touch Screen. Some Dealers send their Guys to the Training Seminars on Launch and after, some not. Our Sales Guy spent an one hour with us on Hand Over & a couple of weeks ago when we had a new Nissan Connect System installed @ €4500 there was initially a problem with the Camera connection. On pickup the Dealer Computer Guy was there to go over the System with me as a check off - My Point again source a Good Dealership Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken