Deciding between new 2017 DiG 1.2T and 1.6T manual Tekna

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
brookie
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by brookie »

Hi,

I've just joined this forum as I am In final stages of short-listing a 2017 Qashqai.

Looking at the Tekna level.

Having trouble finding the 1.6T petrol manual to test drive but I am concerned about the reputation of the 1.2T for turbo reliability and excessive oil consumption.

Is the 1.6T a newer engine? Are they both made by Renault? Would both have the same issues? Have the issues been resolved such that a new factory order would be OK?

Also a bit concerned about the customer service reputation of Nissan dealers. Are there any dealers to the West and North of London that owners would recommend?

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Brookie, please take a look at this Post it might help you or play around with „Search“. We have a 14 QQ 1,2L and have never had the problems with Oil, but after a recent trip we agreed in the future we would purchase a 1,6L when needed, as the 1,2L was just a bit down on power on inclines, but apart from that it is a nice engine - Dave :)

viewtopic.php?t=5583
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Sorry, try this also regarding the Engines it might well help - Dave :)

viewtopic.php?t=3399
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
brookie

Post by brookie »

OK, thanks.

Are the 1.2 and 1.6 essentially the same engine (apart from the size obviously!), or is the 1.6 a newer design?
Mocca

Post by Mocca »

1.6 dig-t iz older but it is Nissan original product and it is beter.
paplane

Post by paplane »

My 1.2 engine has been rock solid. No issues at all with it. Don't be swayed by a few early teething problems to, what I suspect is, a few dozen owners out of thousands of cars sold.

Re dealers, not in London but Bristol Street Motors (part of the Vertu Group) in Ilkeston, Derbyshire have given me first class service. There's been a few issues for them to deal with under the warranty and they've never once been difficult. I didn't even buy the car off them.
brookie

Post by brookie »

Thanks. That's very helpful.

I am going to test drive the 1.2 tomorrow, which will include motorway so will see.

It's a close call, and the extra cost may sway the decision.

Dealers are pushing the 1.2 but maybe because they can't get the 1.6 as easily/quickly.
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

I'm on my second Qashqai and went for the 1.2 petrol engine again. The mileage I do in a year and the fact where I live is relatively flat doesn't warrant me buying a larger engine. This saved me £1,330 against the 1.6 petrol engine.

The road tax/VED for the first year:
1.2 petrol ~ CO2 129g/km ~ £160
1.6 petrol ~ CO2 138g/km ~ £200

Thereafter both Qashqai engines pay the same VED rate of £140.00.

You can only specify the 1.6 petrol engine with the N-Connecta, N-Vision and Tekna grades, not with the Visia or Acenta. As you're opting for the Tekna grade, you will be able to order a 1.6 petrol engine, should you wish to do so.

It might be worth getting insurance quotes for both petrol engines?

You're doing the best thing anyway by having a test drive. It's your choice at the end of the day. Enjoy the ride! :)
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
DD41

Post by DD41 »

I have the 1.2 DIG-T CVT spot on as of yet. It's returns about 41.2 mpg :)

Screenshot_20171030-184956.png

19 plate X Trail 1.3 DIG-T DCT Tekna Gun metal grey + led kick plates + footwell lights + Chrome lower boot finsher
16plate 1.2 DigtT cvt Tekna ink blue pan roof chome pack/ protection pack / chrome sill protectors / Nissan mud flaps/Spare wheel
Trabant Dave

Post by Trabant Dave »

I drove both 1.2 and 1.6 before I decided on the 1.6; we had previously had a 2.0 diesel Volvo and make a number of trips across Europe at high speeds, the 1.6 had the edge in terms of how it felt for me and the possible issues that affect some 1.2 engines reinforced the choice in favour of the 1.6. We had already decided to go for the Tekna so both engines were open to us. As I'm approaching 60 the insurance cost was very reasonable at under 400 quid.
To be honest, I wouldn't have a clue about fuel consumption as I have a ghastly commute and try hard not to look at the MPG!
Whichever you go for, I am sure you enjoy it!