Hello to all, advise on which one to buy!

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
milmax
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by milmax »

Hi all, new on here! Don't have a Qashqai yet but advise/help on buying one please!

Been reading on here and confused with J10 and 11 - what is the meaning?

My wife has an old Focus c max(we always had fords) and looking to replace it with a 2/3 year old Qashqai! What do you all think of your cars?

She only does about 7K miles a year so although we like diesels, it's probably advisable to stay away because of DPF's . I could give it a run one's a week if we go for a diesel!

1.2 Petrol - I have read on here that they are sluggish and there was a lot of problems with oil being low after just a few miles of topping up!!

So still confused to which engine to go for!!

Help is appreciated!

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Please use the search button at the top of the forum as there is plenty advice already on choosing a model.
J10 2008 to 2013 and J11 2014 to 2017.
J10 diesels may have dpf problems but J11 are ok even for short trips.
Cant comment on the 1.2 petrol other than to say id did have test drives and it seemed more than capable.
milmax

Post by milmax »

Thanks for explaining about the difference between J10 and J11!!
so what did they do to the J11 to be better on DPF??
Thanks
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Now has passive and active regeneration to keep it clear. Please use the search facility as again their is loads of info on this. Repeating questions just clogs up the site, much like any early dpf!
milmax

Post by milmax »

Well if i don't ask and just search, no point of joining a forum is there?????..........not very welcoming on here is it... :(
never had a Nissan and know nothing about them, hence my point of asking questions.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

People are friendly on here and will help if they can, but come on here infrequently so it better for you to utilise the material already available as there’s nearly 5 years worth that covers practically everything.
Geordieman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Geordieman »

Milmax, we have had a QQ since the end of December. It is a 1.2 petrol CVT. Since getting it we have been very happy with the comfort and the responsive engine. Having noted various comments on here I think I am becoming paranoid about the oil level. I even bought a litre of oil last week just in case! I have also read about failing CVT units even though they are Japanese made which used to mean excellent engineering and reliability on the previous Datsuns I owned. Having had a dozen new cars over the years I rarely ever topped up their oil between services. We do like the car however and hopefully none of these things talked about will manifest themselves in the 3 years I intend to keep it. There are millions of QQ on the roads and I suppose there will be problems with a few of them. We have the N Connect model and the technology is a bit overwhelming if you aren't used to it. My reversing worsened as I used the cameras but I am OK with them now. There are various beeps going off on a journey such as when passing over a white centreline but that is a useful safety feature. The car must be OK really as you will see on this forum that a lot of members spend hundreds of pounds on customising their QQ with add-ons like chrome strips, LED lighting, etc. so they must be happy with them.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
m.scott
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by m.scott »

This is the second QQ that I have had.

I was undecided about petrol or diesel as I only do about 6 to 7000 miles a year. I bought new and at the time the diesel engine car was about £1750 more than the petrol and at the time diesel was up to 6p dearer at the pump than petrol so I went for the petrol engine car.

The first a 2014, 14 reg, 1.2 petrol manual acenta premium. It had a few problems, new battery, new condenser on the air con and new strut rubbers. Some of the problems that I.had to get these parts replaced I think was with Nissan, or so the dealer said but the dealer did give me a full tank of petrol for all the times I had the car back to them to get the jobs done. I think a lot of these cars registered around this time had these problems. Over the 20,000 miles I averaged 43.2 mpg

I found that I felt as if I was changing gear all the time. For instance other cars that I have had at a speed where you could pull away in third, the QQ I had to change down to second then change back up through the gears. The arthritis didn't help. At times there was a bit of turbo lag so you had to get the revs right. That's the bad points. I found that the car was quiet, comfortable, a nice seating position and I can get in and out without hitting my head.

I have now got a new 2017 67 reg QQ Tenka 1.2 Auto which for me is much better. It's still quiet, smooth and averaging 38.9 mpg over 2,400 miles and at present no problems.

Last October when I changed the car I thought the used diesel QQ on the forecourts were cheaper than the petrol.

Hope this helps
milmax

Post by milmax »

Thank you all for your replies. The 1.2 petrol sounds like a good option for my wife. She just taxi kids round the area and maybe a motorway trip once every 6 weeks or so! With an average of 40mpg i'll be happy with that!!