Qashqai won’t start- major problems

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
Katiejoy
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Katiejoy »

Hey everyone. I’m looking for some advice please. I bought a 2014 Qashqai in June 2017. Beginning of January car failed to start, breakdown told us it was battery so went to garage to replace. A month later it did same thing and we were told wrong battery was fitted so took it back to garage, although they werent sure if it was alternator either. Got it home a week later and wouldn’t start again within 30 mins of getting back. Each time this has happened, I press the start button and all it does is click and dashboard lights flash and says ‘start/stop system failure. Engine never cranks over. Got it to ANOTHER garage and it failed alternator test but they couldn’t fit it there. They were then unable to jump start it. Had to get recovery to take it to garage we bought it from. They were unable to get any answers so took it to main Nissan for me. They did a test and said ‘could be glow plugs, if not then starter motor’. So they changed all glow plugs, quoted me £346 but car was still dead after this was done. I’m now being told it’s the start motor but they don’t want to fit it for me as it’s ‘quite complicated’. Anyway. My main issue is with the glow plugs, am I right in saying these didn’t need doing? There fore I do not want to pay £346. I’m under the understanding that if glow plugs are faulty, engine will still crank but won’t start. Mine didn’t do this. Nissan have been extremely unhelpful and have had many other issues with them but this post is long enough! Thank you.

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

If it clicks and says start/stop, this is 99.99% the battery. Either a duff battery, or as you say a good battery but not charged due to alternator problems. Definitely not the glow plugs.

Get in the car, start the ignition (not the engine), then press and hold setup and turn the right knob clockwise/anticlockwise/clockwise to get into the hidden system menu. Select running system status, and let us know what it says under "power supply". This is how much voltage your battery has before you try and start it. Should be at least 12.3.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Katiejoy

Post by Katiejoy »

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunatly I haven’t got the car, haven’t had it for 5 weeks now. It’s due to be booked in for starter motor. Battery test has come back fine. Also, I don’t have a key, it’s a start button so I wouldn’t be able to do any of that anyway. And the car is completely dead. Nothing happens atall now, Thanks though.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Ok. Good luck with not paying for the glow plugs... those definitely should not have needed to be changed.

Anyone got any experience of what you do if the dealer mistakenly replaces a working part and then tries to charge you for it???
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Katiejoy wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:52 am Thanks for your reply. Unfortunatly I haven’t got the car, haven’t had it for 5 weeks now. It’s due to be booked in for starter motor. Battery test has come back fine. Also, I don’t have a key, it’s a start button so I wouldn’t be able to do any of that anyway. And the car is completely dead. Nothing happens atall now, Thanks though.
You can still do as suggested. You’re turning the zoom knob on the sat nav not the ignition key!
Katiejoy

Post by Katiejoy »

chrisw99 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:13 am Ok. Good luck with not paying for the glow plugs... those definitely should not have needed to be changed.

Anyone got any experience of what you do if the dealer mistakenly replaces a working part and then tries to charge you for it???
Thank you!
Katiejoy

Post by Katiejoy »

Thanks gvmdaddy but I dont have the car, it’s been at the garage for 5 weeks.
AdzGill
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by AdzGill »

Did you manage to get it sorted? We're currently having the same issue on our 2017 facelift. Cheers
cozza
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by cozza »

Qashqai 2009 2l dci will only start with easy start
andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

cozza wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:54 am Qashqai 2009 2l dci will only start with easy start
have you changed the glo-plugs, air filter, oil, oil filter