Aircon issue

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
FRA40
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by FRA40 »

Hi guy's,
I am a new member to the club and wonder if anybody can help. I have a J11 Qashqai which is just out of warranty. Due to the hot spell I have found my aircon not working. Nissan garage wants £95 to check what the problem is, then the cost of repair plus vat. This will end up around £250 so they tell me. Question is this, the car has the new 1234YF gas, does anybody know a garage in the central belt of Scotland that can repair this at a more realistic price.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Be very careful on paying out good money to get this problem solved as the early models have had problems known by Nissan. The major problem was a Condenser Problem (expensive) exchanged under Guarantee (but yours is out), also this new gas is expensive, but to get it sorted it will cost you.
Sorry to mention this but take a look in „Search“ on this subject where you can read the facts and see the problem - Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
FRA40

Post by FRA40 »

Thanks Dave for the info. Thinking about the weather we get in Scotland it might not be worth it.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

FRA40 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:06 pm Thanks Dave for the info. Thinking about the weather we get in Scotland it might not be worth it.
FRA40, youd be surprised! Aircon does more than just provide cool air when its hot outside. Its very quick at removing moisture from the inside of the car when its damp, wet and cold outside. I wouldn't be without it.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I've just had the condensor replaced last month before the warranty runs out next month - cost £434.62.

There are reports elsewhere on here about people out of warranty getting Nissan to pay part of the cost.

Since this forum pre-warned me I submitted this written instruction to the garage and it all went through without any quibbling:

I discovered just last weekend that the AC system is not operating – I believe at all. I think it was operating a couple or three weeks ago. Now there appears to be no cooling effect at all, albeit the ventilation system is working perfectly otherwise. It was stifling in the car today. There is extensive discussion on the internet about J11 models including my model year being fitted with faulty condensors – to the extent that at one time there was a backlog of repairs owing to replacement condenser availability being poor. Please DO NOT merely regas the system. I want to know why the system has failed and I expect the system to be put into full working order as a warranty claim at no cost to myself.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
paplane

Post by paplane »

Ita an absolute disgrace that innocent people are being clobbered with big replacement costs for air con condensers when clearly the oem part fitted was not fit for purpose. Nissan have probably replaced half under warranty for lucky people who had theirs fail in under 3 years. They should recall every car and sort it.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Perhaps this article is worth reading just to understand what is around and what it can do, especially if the owner has up front breathing problems - Just information to be aware of Dave :)

https://dailym.ai/2rPuB7q
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

DaveBerlin wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:52 am Perhaps this article is worth reading just to understand what is around and what it can do, especially if the owner has up front breathing problems - Just information to be aware of Dave :)

Interesting article. Ive no doubt at all that bacteria can thrive in aircon sytems and will require periodic cleaning, but whoever wrote or contributed to the article clearly has either no idea how aircon systems work or has been misquoted. External air does not mix with the refrigerant.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

A tip for you guys, but its not easy to remeber.

Basically you need to warm up the condenser & dry it out before you finish your drive. 5 - 10 mins before your journey finishes turn off the air con pump, it quickly warms up & dries out.

Leaving the condenser frozen or wet when you park the car up allows the bugs to multiply and cause that damp smell.
gvmdaddy wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:26 am
DaveBerlin wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:52 am Perhaps this article is worth reading just to understand what is around and what it can do, especially if the owner has up front breathing problems - Just information to be aware of Dave :)

Interesting article. Ive no doubt at all that bacteria can thrive in aircon sytems and will require periodic cleaning, but whoever wrote or contributed to the article clearly has either no idea how aircon systems work or has been misquoted. External air does not mix with the refrigerant.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I've often wondered why some days the air con decides to have a really smelly day but 99% of the time it's fine. Cheers for the tip!
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T