New to Nissan / New to Diesels (+DPF Question)

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
bert18_uk
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by bert18_uk »

Hi All,

I'm currently looking to update my car and the Nissan Qashqai seems to be a front runner at present. I'm OCD when it comes to doing my research first when making a big purchase and for me this will be a sizeable spend.

I'm currently debating in my head over two options...

A. 2015 (April) Nissan Qashqai 1.6DCI N-tec+ with 24665miles
or
B. 2017 (June) Nissan Qashqai 1.5DCI Tekna with 11,890miles

There's a £3500 approx price difference between the two options and I'm wondering is the newer Tekna worth that? Any thoughts appreciated.

Reason for looking at the Qashqai was the price band and a bit more space for the family; wife, 2 kids (under 4yrs currently) and the dog, along with the prams, bikes, trikes, shopping etc...

Most recently I have been reading up on DPF's and a niggling at the back of my mind in terms of diesels. "Is my standard commute and driving style suited to a diesel with a DPF?" Basic Monday to Friday routine below. Weekends are either long trips with the kids or no driving at all so they are hit or miss.

Monday to Friday commute = 14minutes, 9.2 mile journey. 0.7 miles (30mph limit), 6.5 miles (70mph limit), 2.0 miles (60mph limit) according to google. Same journey on the home leg, so basically the above twice a day, Monday to Friday. I tend to drive at the speed limits as I'm usually running late either getting to work on time or getting home on time for dinner...

Is that going to be sufficient to keep a diesel with a DPF happy?

Any advice, thoughts, comments, etc much appreciated as I'm getting pretty close to making a decision but would love some actual owners thoughts on the above...

Thanks,
bert.

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Obviously the 2017 model will give you 2 years of extra Guarantee.
You should also verify that the car has been serviced by Nissan at recommended
intervals so Guarantee is still valid.

On some diesels that mileage would not be sufficient for trouble free dpf, but I have done
low mileages since I retired and have had no grief. :P

(It would give grief with a current (much dearer) L Rover Defender model for example, as below).

This is down to the design/location of the dpf so that regeneration is automatic;
I'll paste below extract from this week's Honest John Motoring column.
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/hones ... 18-part-2/
Sooty and sweep

I have done literally a million diesel miles in my working life but, now retired, probably 10k at most. I have had a couple of occasions where I suspected the DPF was causing what we used to call “plucking” in the taxi trade. I went along to two of my old dealers; Ford first, then Citroen, and asked them to put it on diagnostics to have a look if it was that in both cases. Both experienced mechanics said the same, “you know what to do don't you? Get it out on the motorway, get it up to temperature and then run it on the red line for say for a mile. It’s perfectly safe and will do no harm.” I periodically run a family Taxi service and do a run to Manchester airport. The journey takes in a stretch of steep, up-hill dual carriageway for about 2 miles.
I give it the high revs treatment up there and have never had any problems since. I tried doing 250 miles at motorway speeds initially but it makes zero improvement. A burst of high revs are a lot cheaper and more effective than a forced regeneration by a dealer.

TW, Nelson, Lancs

A DPF regenerates passively and actively.
To regenerate passively, it needs heat, and that's what you are creating by driving at 4,000rpm uphill. All the stuff you read about driving at 60mph on the motorway for 20 minutes is cobblers because some cars will do 60 at 1,250rpm and that isn't enough to generate the heat. Some cars have the DPF bolted straight to an integrated exhaust manifold in the cylinder head where they get hot quickly. Some have DPFs half way down the exhaust system where they hardly ever get hot enough.
However, all this is about burning off soot created on start-up (the black unburned fuel that used to belch out of every diesel when you started it in the days before DPFs).
If you run at 1,500 - 2,000rpm for the first 5-10 miles after start-up, you burn the fuel more completely and don't create as much soot as you would by bimbling along at 1,000rpm.
If a DPF collects too much soot, it will actively regenerate by post-injecting diesel via the engine into the DPF, then sparking off a fire in there.
That's why Land Rover Discovery Sports, that have their DPFs half way down the exhaust system, can use so much diesel. But in all cases, if the DPF ends up with too much ash inside (from burning off the soot), that cannot be "regenerated". It needs to be chemically cleaned out by a process such as Ceramex.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Dont worry about the dpf.
Ive got the Tekna 1.5dci and do shorter, much slower journeys than you plan on and ive had no problems at all.
switchback

Post by switchback »

I'd be more concerned about the size of the boot in your situation. It's a bit small for your needs in my opinion.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Agree with switchback. The dog won’t be going anywhere with you as a family, in fact I hope you have tiny collapsible buggies for the nippers as the boot isn’t going to take much more alongside normal stuff for a family day out. Don’t get me wrong, it’s adequate, but the dog has no chance!
bert18_uk
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by bert18_uk »

Thanks for the replies all. The dog usually gets the pick of the seats as it’s the wife’s ‘first born’ at least treated as it is...

I might have to look at the X-Trail at this rate! I did see an X-Trail actually. It was a 2015 Tekna coming in at around the same price as the 2017 Qashqai so allow dropping down in years, technically still within the price range.

Like mentioned I’ve always went for cheaper run arounds so if you get a year or so out of it then great but with the prices I’m looking at now it makes it a much trickier decision.

Appreciate the input though.

.b
NaomiF1992

Post by NaomiF1992 »

Hi I have just bought a 15 plate 1.6 diesel from.a main dealer. Does my car have adblue tank where I will have to fill it up also I'm not too sure about DPFs in these vehicles. Do I have to run the vehicle for 20 miles 4th gear 3k or 4 k revs?
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

NaomiF1992 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:33 am Hi I have just bought a 15 plate 1.6 diesel from.a main dealer. Does my car have adblue tank where I will have to fill it up also I'm not too sure about DPFs in these vehicles. Do I have to run the vehicle for 20 miles 4th gear 3k or 4 k revs?
No and no. Car does everything itself.
NaomiF1992

Post by NaomiF1992 »

No sure what you mean. I'm guessing self cleaning DPF?
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

This is correct
NaomiF1992 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:00 am No sure what you mean. I'm guessing self cleaning DPF?